Question about shunning from someone who has never been a JW....

by whyizit 111 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

I wondered, since the JWs claim that Jesus is their teacher, what evidence do they have of Jesus shunning "bad associations"? It seems to me, from reading the Bible, that the religious people of His day really gave Him a hard time, because He actually spent the majority of His time with "bad associates", rather than shunning them. Thomas, though he followed Jesus, wasn't totally convinced. Yet Jesus still loved him and never expelled him from the group for "doubting".

I just wondered if this subject ever comes up with one of my JW friends, and if I ask them to give me Biblical evidence of Jesus shunning someone, what kind of reply can I expect? Did anyone ask you this same question when you were a JW? What did you think?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They use rather thin scriptural evidence in the book of John. Actually, I doubt the average jw would be able to explain it, most of them just do it because the wts tells them to, and they daren't question anything.

• Arthur
    Arthur

The rationale for shunning comes from the writings of the Apostle Paul. It was stated that an unrepetent sinner should be removed from the congregation, and that Christians should "not even eat with such a man".

The Gospel accounts show that Jesus approached sinners in an attempt to draw them to him and to move them to repent. Jesus focussed more on the consequences that an unrepentent sinner would face in the eyes of God, instead of focussing on congregational procedures. There are many congregational matters that Jesus never went into detail about. Paul, later went into detail on several matters which Jesus had not mentioned. Since JWs beleive that the Apostle Paul was inspired, they take his statements about such matters very seriously.

If you ask a JW about this, they may highlight the fact that Jesus also never mentions homosexuality. But, sincle the Hebrew Sciptures and the Apostle Paul does, Christians must follow such counsel.

• sspo
  • sspo
    sspo

they use matthew 18 concerning treating a person as man of the nation and tax collector

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Hello.

I'm new here. I'd like to point out.

Jesus never did in fact speak directly about homosexuality. Yet, he did speak of the days of Lot and Sodom:

(Luke 17:28-29) Likewise, just as it occurred in the days of Lot: they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building. 29 But on the day that Lot came out of Sod´om it rained fire and sulphur from heaven and destroyed them all.

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Interestingly enough, Genesis gives an even more descriptive account:

(Genesis 19:24) . . .Then Jehovah made it rain sulphur and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens, upon Sod´om and upon Go·mor´rah.

So, in regard to shunning, it serves to protect others. For instance, if a person that has taken steps toward baptism and reaches that goal then decides he or she wants to visit strip clubs, the person is going door to door preaching on sunday and visiting strip clubs on Friday.

Disfellowshipping (shunning) serves to protect Jehovah's name.

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

There is something that Jesus did that should be carefully noted in regard to Judas Iscariot. He politely sent him packing after Judas kissed him.

(John 13:26) . . .Therefore Jesus answered: "It is that one to whom I shall give the morsel that I dip." And so, having dipped the morsel, he took and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Is·car´i·ot. . .

(John 13:27-30) . . .And after the morsel then Satan entered into the latter. Jesus, therefore, said to him: "What you are doing get done more quickly." 28 However, none of those reclining at the table knew for what purpose he said this to him. 29 Some, in fact, were imagining, since Judas was holding the money box, that Jesus was telling him: "Buy what things we need for the festival," or that he should give something to the poor. 30 Therefore, after he received the morsel, he went out immediately. And it was night.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc
    So, in regard to shunning, it serves to protect others. For instance, if a person that has taken steps toward baptism and reaches that goal then decides he or she wants to visit strip clubs, the person is going door to door preaching on sunday and visiting strip clubs on Friday.

Disfellowshipping (shunning) serves to protect Jehovah's name

Are you sure that "Jehovahs Name" could ever be could ever be effected by the doings of a single person? Or, maybe your confusing "Jehovahs Name" with the name of a religious group that person is identified with.

steve

PS welcome to JWD

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Hi Stevenyc, and thanks.

We know that Jehovah has called out of the nations a people for His name (Acts 15:14).

There are many ways to bring reproach against His name, but as far as one person doing that, you bring up a good point. Can one person bring reproach against the Creator of all things' name? In a simple answer, yes. If a person is carrying that name as a registered, card carrying, full fledged, dedicated, baptized follower and imitator of Jesus Christ, then responsibility comes with that baptism to do whatever possible to remain chaste in conduct.

Upholding fine moral standards is not only commendable, it is required upon baptism as commanded by Christ (Matthew 28:19, 20). Even the demons recognized Christ's holiness (clean morality) in association with his Father, and therefore his followers must also be holy:

(Mark 1:24) . . .Did you come to destroy us? I know exactly who you are, the Holy One of God.. . .

(Leviticus 11:44) For I am Jehovah YOUR God; and YOU must sanctify yourselves and YOU must prove yourselves holy, because I am holy. So YOU must not make YOUR souls unclean by any swarming creature that moves upon the earth.

(Leviticus 19:2) "Speak to the entire assembly of the sons of Israel, and you must say to them, ‘YOU should prove yourselves holy, because I Jehovah YOUR God am holy.

(Leviticus 20:26) And YOU must prove yourselves holy to me, because I Jehovah am holy; and I am proceeding to divide YOU off from the peoples to become mine.

(Deuteronomy 23:14) For Jehovah your God is walking about within your camp to deliver you and to abandon your enemies to you; and your camp must prove to be holy, that he may see nothing indecent in you and certainly turn away from accompanying you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit