Is America one big cult?

by barry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

Dont get me wrong Im not a yanky basher like some we know but when visiting my dad the other day got me thinking when he played a dvd he had.

The dvd was of a concert of religious music by the Assembly of God and the SDAs most of the program was very good with excellent prerformers and uplifting music. I thought the SDAs in the states looked like they were being influenced by the more charasmatic A of G people because many were raising there hands like the Aof G do.

There was nothing too unusual until about two thirds through when some marines marched in with the yanky flag with a marine either side complete with rifle . The remainder of the concert was dedicated to nationalistic hyms of which I cant recall the titles. One with words to the effect 'this land is my land from California to New York another about how beautiful america is and I think they had the national anthem in there somewhere. There was also a speech by George W and then they all got there little yanky flags out and waved them just as hard as they could.

I dont have a problem with nationalism or self defence but doesnt christianity have the highest standards which we must strive for but at the same time realise we live in an imperfect world?

Do other religious groups in the states behave this way in religious services and is it that the states is one big cult? I know the JWs dont.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I dont have a problem with nationalism or self defence but doesnt christianity have the highest standards which we must strive for but at the same time realise we live in an imperfect world?

Some would say nationalism and self defense are of the highest standards.

At any rate, I dont quite understand your use of the word cult here. Clarify for a dumby please?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Having not seen most of America, I can't answer your question with any degree of authority. I can tell you though, that the Christian music market is pretty healthy out in the Bible Belt. If you've never heard of the Bible Belt--and anyone feel free to correct me if I leave out some areas--it stretches from Oklahoma and Texas through the lower Midwest and the South.
    Another way to explain it is the differences between "Red States" and "Blue States." That DVD was probably filmed in a "Red State," or a [Bible Belt] state that gave its electoral votes to President Bush in 2004. This is not to say that a religious concert of that nature can't take place in a Blue State, but it probably wouldn't happen there.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I wouldn't call the USA a cult although I can see how you formed your opinion because "true believin' Christians" just love their country around here, but I think that's a good thing--within reason.

While not every church's congregation is going to have a flag waving ceremony, except at special occasions, many churches do have a flag. The ministers also usually include a prayer for the guidance of the president and, during war time, the safety of our army. Some ministers will even go so far as telling people how to vote. There was some hoopla over that during the last presidential election. It's still happening too, but I think that's a good thing--within reason. I have a link for you below.

The church and state may be seperate on paper but it doesn't always work out that way in reality. Still, I wouldn't call the USA a cult. There's too many of us and we do not all worship the flag. Not all of us go to church either.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39596

• barry
    barry

Gday IP-Sec, I would think religion would accept all people as brothers and wars could be avoided as much as possible for the highest of ideals. I used the word Cult because there people seemed over the top. We sing the national anthem on Anzac , Australia day or God save the Queen when she comes over here. Never in church and we wouldnt have guns in church either or at a religious service.Dont you yankys know it is customary to disarm at the foyer of a church

• sf
    sf

I will say, I've never felt comfortable "pledging allegiance to the flag of the U.S.A. FOR WHICH IT STANDS". Does this statement mean stand as in stance or literally stands in the land of America?

Why is pledging allegiance so vital?

It's scary when you grow up and start to figure out all the fairytales adults told were actually lies, fabrications and embellishments.

That kind of 'math' is not easy to equate. For me, it never will be.

A cult though? Not sure if I'd describe America as a cult. Yet, when it comes to our American {government} and controlling large groups of people with certain means, I think they USE cultic tactics. They are not exempt from being terroristic when it comes to maintaining such control.

Lately what I've felt about America is a profound sense of loss and yearning for yesteryear. When America WAS beautiful. I guess though that when you are a kid you have no idea what beauty truly is. It turns out it only LOOKED that way.

sKally

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I spent some time in NY with my Aussie friends. They kept commenting on how there were flags all over the place, on every building and sometimes covering the entire building, along the sides of streets, etc (you get my point). I never noticed it before, I guess if you are surrounded by it, it does not stand out. My friends thought it was maybe due to 9/11, but I think it has always been that way. I noticed when I returned home that Chicago also is covered in American flags. Americans LOVE their flag.

As for politics and nationalism ... although people will argue that there is no constitutional statement that says "church and state" must remain separate, if you study history and the founding father's intent upon establishing a government that was equal to all (at least to all white men - absent women and minorities) they intentionally set to keep religion out of it because it was recognized that religion was a division as opposed to a cohesive factor. But America has always had a problem separating religion from politics. It was founded by puritans who were all about governing and dominating others.

I respect Barack Obama, but I was really disappointed in him when he said the the democrats have to start reaching into churches to pull out voters because that what the republicans have done and their voter turn out is far greater. It is true, but it is a sell out.

There is nothing worse then being an American tourist in a country and you hear a harsh American accent with some ignorant American criticizing the country they are visiting. It is the worst! But Americans are raised to be very patriotic. They are raised to believe in "America, mom and apple-pie" and hang the rest of the world.

I do agree that the bible belt, which covers a very large part of the US is "one big cult". I have family that lives in the south and everyone there is a religious nut. The east coast still has puritans, so even if they are not snake holding, speaking in tongue cult members, they still have very strict standards and hold women in little regard and shun in some cases .... in other words cult like behavior. So yes, America is one big cult.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Bary, how do you define "cult"?

SF: the words are,

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it (the flag) stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

My sense of a cult, is any belief system that separates you from the wholeness of life. So, if your thoughts of nationality shrink your sense of being to a place or parcel, then yes, it's a cult....but that's just my feelings.

alt

j

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Im sorry, this question reminds me of the question "are all men dangerous to women and children?" How can you possibly really wonder if a country of 300 million is one big cult based on one video you saw?

Do I misunderstand? Not trying to be aggressive. just the question seems disingenuous to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit