Update on my friend - the PO called

by fullofdoubtnow 24 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

My friend Marion has just arrived at my home, and she certainly has had an interesting few days! She hasn't been attending meetings lately, and on Saturday the po from her hall phoned to ask why. Actually, he had phoned several times before, and left messages, but she hasn't been replying and, in his own words, he is very concerned as to what, if anything, is wrong.

She remembers the conversation fairly well (pity she couldn't record it), and it went like this:

po: Ah Marion, I'm glad to have caught you, I haven't seen you at the hall for a while. Is something wrong? I know you weren't well at the convention, and wondered if you are still sufferring?

Marion: No, I am fully recovered from that, thankyou.

po: Oh, then is there something else wrong? You seem to be missing all the meetings at the moment, and people are beginning to wonder where you are. You've always been so regular at the hall and in the service, and you haven't been to either for some weeks. We are all very concerned about you, it's so unlike you to not come and not contact anyone.

Marion: No, I'm not ill, in fact I'm very well physically. I have a few issues I need to sort out, so I'm taking a break from meetings for now. Please thank everyone for their concern, and tell them not to worry.

po: Issues? What sort of issues? Are they to do with someone in the congregation? Is that why you've been staying away? I am sure I don't need to tell you that staying away from the hall, and depriving yourself of precious spiritual food, won't solve anything. Is there any way I can help you sort out these issues? I am always ready to listen.

Marion: They don't concern any individual at the hall, and they are personal matters. Thankyou for offerring to help, but I will have to settle these things myself. No one from the hall can really help me with them.

po: Are you sure we can't help? I have no wish to pry into your personal affairs, but sometimes sharing a problem with someone with a differrent perspective can help. Would you like a couple of us to pop round later to see you?

Marion: Once again, thanks for offerring, but no thanks. I really do have to resolve these issues myself. It's not something anyone from the hall would really understand.

po: Are you absolutely sure? Well, as I said before, I won't pry into your affairs, but if you feel you can't attend meetings at the moment, perhaps I could arrange a shepherding call to help keep you built up spiritually? P erhaps we can sort out a day and time now?

Marion: No thanks, I really don't want any visitors at the moment. I need to be alone, I have a lot to think about, and don't want any distractions right now.

po: Now I am more worried than ever. I won't pressure you to come to meetings, although I know you would be better there, but you seem determined to isolate yourself from us completely. Is there something more to this than you are telling me?

Marion: There's no need to worry, as I said, I just need some time alone at the moment. Anyway, I really need to go now, you only just caught me, I am on my way out, so thanks again for calling, and goodbye.

po: Oh, ok but (Marion hung up at this point)

The po made that call on Saturday lunch time, and has called 4 times and left messages to call him back since, and a few other jws have phoned as well, so I imagine they are really wondering what is happening. As for not prying into peoples affairs, he likes nothing better. Having been on the end of some of his interrogations, I think Marion's evasive tactics are a good idea. If he gets the slightest hint she is questioning anything, he will be calling non stop, day and night, both on the phone and in person. All in all, I thought she handled that first encounter pretty well, but he won't give up, especially as she turned down the "privilege" of a shepherding visit.

She will keep me updated on further developments, and I will post them on here. I think it's going to be an interesting few weeks for her, to say the least!

Linda

• jstalin
    jstalin
    depriving yourself of precious spiritual food, won't solve anything

Lol... all i can think about is Gollum from Lord of the Rings saying "my precious."

• Balsam
    Balsam

Linda,

Your friend has handled the PO perfectly. Let them pry, and let her refuse to get back to them. Basically it is none of their business when all they would do if call a JC if they heard her doubts. She is being very wise to not let them bait her. Good for her. It's not easy to do that when your basically encouraged to just spill your guts anytime an Elder speaks to you.

Balsam

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

curiosity is killin him lol

Marion handled it very well although his comment ""you seem determined to isolate yourself from us completely""

kinda worries me.. like he's already judged her about it.

i'm so glad she has you to support her right now ,she's very blessed to have your concern and advice!

• nelly136
    nelly136

persistant little sucker isn't he,

has your friend got caller display? so she can screen her calls?

or maybe an answerphone in case the persistance turns into total stalking/harrassment.

thoughts be with her, heres hoping he gets bored and gets a hobby bothering someone else.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think when I quit, there must have been a collective sigh of relief. I didn't hear from any Witness elder for 9 years after I left. They asked me if I had any questions and I gave them 10 questions I had and after 9 more years I called one of the elders and asked him how he was doing on my questions. Nothing!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Candi,, that isolation comment bothered me as well, it sounds as if he suspects the reason for her absence already.

Nelly, yes she has caller display and an answering machine. She knew it was him calling on saturday, but decided to reply to get it over with, so to speak.

heres hoping he gets bored and gets a hobby bothering someone else.
    Bothering people is his only hobby, that's why he's the po lol.
  • juni
    juni

Thanks Linda for the update about Marion. Sounds like she so far is able to stand her ground. This idiot: "I don't want to pry....I don't want to pressure you." Does he hear himself?? He wants the skinny real bad .....you know, have to protect the cong. against evildoers.

We know that you'll give her strength and let her know we're thinking of her.

Love,

Juni

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks for the update on Marion!

Maybe she should tell the po to "wait on Jehovah" in regard to her while she sorts things out in the meantime.

bebu

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

My goodness! He says he doesn't want to pry, then asks her all these nosy questions! What a truly obnoxious person! So full of himself, thinking he actually has a right to press on into her personal business. He'll force the issue. Even if she avoids the harassing loving visits and calls, they'll announce her as dead disasociated one of these days. I'm happy for her, and that she has a true friend to give her support during this time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit