Mortality

by spawn2u 17 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think your fears are over stretched as the things you describe are unlikely to happen. Just forget these worries and enjoy life.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

being raised a JW , i came into the thought that "HEY I'M GONNA DIE SOMEDAY,AND SO ARE MY KIDS!! " late in life. ( can you spell T R A U M A ?) i grew up thinking i'd never hit adulthood in this system.afterall i was one of the kids told in a DC that i would be able to tell ressurected kids what it was like living in this exciting time ...(gawd i cant believe i swallowed that stuff for so many years)

your fears are fears we all have when we have children. i think in a balanced mind it helps us to be better parents. makes us protective of our children ..so..keep it balanced, slow down and enjoy your babies..they'll be grown before you know it!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

All beliefs aside, it takes time for the idea of our death to really sink in. Perhaps a lifetime, long or short.

In a sense we xJWs are a curiosity. Not everyone has the opportunity to live in a collective imaginary world such as that which once allowed us to say "I might never die" or "my death will only be temporary"; that may have made us comparatively immature or retarded in this respect. But I think we are not that different because everyone builds up their own strategies to screen out death, to keep it as unreal as possible. Only when it gets close we can't avoid it, but we quickly forget.

As Bergman's movie The Seventh Seal so greatly illustrates, we are all playing -- chess, religion, tragedy, comedy -- with death. Our life is the play, and losing eventually is part of it.

• gumby
    gumby
    Our life is the play, and losing eventually is part of it.

I hope his words are someday obsolete and that man can overcome death through science in the medical field.....if man doesn't destroy himself first.

Gumby.....who'll be pushin up daisies by the time man conquers death

• spawn2u
    spawn2u

I appreciate your input, I have been weighing these comments for some time now. Some comments make me reflect the term "DUH!". Other comments have stimulated my mind and made me think in the big picture kind of way. Thank you for the comments. As always, I appreciate my beutiful family everyday and I do not ever loose myself in some sort of fear. I am human and feel only as I should but feelings do not have to rule me.

spawn exit

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Ditto

• anewme
    anewme

I had a thought I was carrying around that was depressing me terribly. I was obsessing about it. My family was concerned. We discussed various ways to help me.

Everytime the terrifying thought came into my head I quickly replaced it with a mental picture of something that brought me peace and comfort. It worked! It was a game for a few days, but since that time I have gone weeks without suffering the negative effects from that obsessive thought.

A co worker said whenever she thinks about her ex, she takes out a big mental baseball bat and squashes him with it.
    That seems to help her.

Surely worrying about your little one is your job as a parent. But overly worrying must be agonizing!
    Why not create a mental picture of your family in security enjoying a picnic or an afternoon on the sand near the sea on a sunny day or picture a rosy protective glow all around your house.

I think sometimes we fall into a rut of dismaying thoughts and need to use these exercises of mental hygiene to cure us.

• Gill
    Gill

We have all had those thoughts. Allow them for now. They're perfectly natural and keep you on your toes.

Realisation, that those things are HIGHLY unlikely to happen comes with age and experience. So try to be happy and live each day for itself. You can only do your best for you and yours and that's all that matters.

Eternity can take care of itself. Your children have you NOW. If the worst were to happen to you, it's unlikely anything bad would happen to your children. The majority of human kind is loving and kind. It's a throw back to JW teachings to believe that every one else is bad, wicked and awful.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I'm not trying to minimize your fears. As I said, they're normal. So work hard at teaching your children life skills, swimming, cooking blah blah etc as they get older and concentrate on each day to be happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit