Would you have stayed if essential changes were made?

by greendawn 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I no longer view the Bible as a document any more inspired than other ancient texts. So, to use it as a yardstick to govern conduct today just doesn't work for me. In any event, people who say they believe the Bible to be inspired STILL pick and choose just which rules to apply, for example, many Bible believers condemn various sexual acts, but have no problem with banks charging interest, or with wearing garments made of two kinds of fibers, or with working on "the Sabbath", etc.

• free2beme
    free2beme

No, for a religion that is truly directed by the god defined by the Witnesses to be so all knowing, should never need to change. They should be perfect from the begining!

• Gill
    Gill

Stay!!!!!????

Only if they could have tolerated me sitting there laughing at all the BS they're always spouting! Somehow, I don't think they would have like that.

Once you know the 'Truth about the Troof' there's NO going back..It's all too silly for words.

• luna2
    luna2

I'm trying to decide which changes would have been essential for me to have remained a good little JW. There is so much that is screwed up. At the time I left, I was mentally exhausted by all the negative talk directed against the R&F and by how much is expected of you as a lowly dub. I was also very bothered by their double talk and the generation change. These things couldn't be corrected by altering just a few things here and there...they are systemic.

I'd like to think that I would have soon started questioning the whole pedophile cover up, their screwed up blood policy, and the UN foolishness too. Once my mind began to open up and reject their bullsh*t, I don't see how they could have changed enough for me to have stayed.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Yea, I would've stayed, because I think scripturally their most basic doctrines are correct, but it would be a totally different organisation with all the changes that should be made. It's like asking 'if you could travel back in time what would you change'? Totally hypothetical.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

No, I've lost whatever it takes to have faith in anyone claiming to represent a god, whether it's a man, woman or book.

I may be wrong of course, but I can no longer kill myself trying to find out.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Better answer - not if God is going to keep lying to those poor men in NY and making them look stupid.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has compared "this system" to a house that is falling down, that can't be repaired, that it is best to tear down and rebuilding.

That's the way I think of the WTS...can't be fixed, only torn down. Rebuild...I wonder?

Blondie

g80 1/22 p. 14 The End of Today’s Economic Systems ***

He rightly saw the hopelessness of ever repairing the system. And God’s Word agrees: it is too far gone. Hence, it will not be repaired, but will be demolished.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Better answer - not if God is going to keep lying to those poor men in NY and making them look stupid.

This cracks me up, confusedJW. Plus everything you post I imagine you saying it with the voice of the King of the Hill guy since that's your avatar.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

If the society didn't require complete conformity and used reasonable argumentation to support its demands and claims, I would have probably left later than I did. But as it is, their claims and demands are indefensible and unreasonable - so no amount of explaining, researching, defending, arguing, etc, can ever support what they claim is true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit