At a crossroads, need advice

by doinmypart 13 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Over the last few years I have been trying unsucessfully to get my wife out of the Org. We've had a lot of ups & downs, arguments, and miserable times. Well, my wife has finally told me that she will respect my decision to no longer be a JW, and I can also do what I feel is best for our children in this respect. In the past she talked about leaving or otherwise distancing herself if I couldn't be a JW, but she is going to stay and we're going to do the best we can to have a good relationship. My plan is to step aside and stop going to the meetings immediately. I am not going to DA myself or fade, I will simply stop all things JW-related.

My questions:
    Our children are pre-teen, do I immediately stop allowing them to go to the KH? How do I explain our situation and begin "unteaching" them? How do I help them deal with missing the other kids at the KH?
    My wife...do I keep trying to get her out or be happy with the compromise we reached? When I stop going to the meetings I know she is going to get all kinds of "support", how do I (or should I) counteract this?
    What do I do now? I want to be happy and have a real relationship with God, or understand my spiritual side. I want my wife and JW family to see that things are ok outside the WT walls and good people exist everywhere. I want to let the bitterness go and in time add something to the human experience. I want to be a friend to workmates or people that I meet in settings outside the KH...which brings up another question, and I feel stupid asking, but how/where do I meet people?

I know a lot of you have been at this point so I appreciate any answers or additional advice you can offer.

• metatron
    metatron

First, provide practical reassurance that you are still a loyal, loving husband and father. Don't let your wife, in particular, worry that you

are descending into some Witness-inspired fantasy of drugs, sex and debauchery. Radiate optimism and principled behavior.

Investigate volunteer groups like Habitat for Humanity. See if you can get the kids involved. There are plenty of good, kind people in this

world, in spite of the propaganda the Watchtower preaches.

metatron

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I left 13 years before my wife. Now in those 13 years, I did not ever believe she would leave the organization. Like you, we had a few ups and downs and it didn't matter that she could never answer any of my arguments or questions. She just refused to give it up. She tried as hard as her Witness training would let her to respect my stand (although she did guilt me in several meetings to help with the kids).

Our children are pre-teen, do I immediately stop allowing them to go to the KH? How do I explain our situation and begin "unteaching" them? How do I help them deal with missing the other kids at the KH?

We started our family after I had left. I agreed to let her raise them as Witnesses, but in all honesty neither child liked the Kingdom Hall or being a Witness. They hated service, hated the restrictions and my son slept through every single meeting. Naturally they asked me several times why I wouldn't go, and I would answer those questions (I believe the Witnesses are wrong about >fill in the blank<).

By the time they were 9 and 6 I was becoming very uncomfortable with the arrangement. My daughter (9) was really wanting out, questioning the whole thing more and more. Neither child really had any friends since my wife had an "unbelieving" husband they were pretty much ignored.

In all honesty, I don't know what I would have done. It was clear to me that the kids didn't want to go, so I think I would have approached my wife along the lines of letting the kids make their own decision to go or not. But again, I don't know. Thankfully I didn't have to face that one.

I think if your children want to stay away, they should give logical objections as to why rather than "Service is too hot" or "the meetings are boring". Challenging them to come up with a reasoned objection might teach them to begin thinking for themselves.

My wife...do I keep trying to get her out or be happy with the compromise we reached? When I stop going to the meetings I know she is going to get all kinds of "support", how do I (or should I) counteract this?

Nina didn't leave until she was ready. Believe me, I came up with years and years of objections, reasons, questions, problems that she and the elders could not answer. Didn't matter, as she saw herself as putting faith in Jehovah.

What finally happened was a confluence. When I first started on this board, I used to print out interesting threads and then I'd leave them for her to read (I worked nights back then) while she made the kids breakfast in the morning. I think that helped her realize that the arguments she'd heard from me and the problems we'd faced together were not just an isolated case. The one that seemed to make the most impression on her was AlanF's thread on the 2 GB members (1 was gay and the other a suspected child molestor).

The second thing that happened at the same time was our son came down with viral arthritis and was confined to a wheelchair. When she finally showed up at meetings again (6 weeks later) and her 6 year old son was in a wheelchair, not one elder asked or was concerned in anyway. I think she thought that it was one thing for the Witnesses to treat her badly, but not her children. So she left.

Again, I think she will leave when (or if) she's ready. Until then I think anything you do only serves to feed the Witness mindset and perhaps even drives a wedge between you two.

Where to from here? Well you could teach your children your truths and show them that you don't have all the answers. I think it's totally okay to show children that spirituality, the pursuit of understanding a Higher Power, isn't about having answers to everything. Many times it's about pursuit of the question itself. I think it's okay to teach them it's okay to ask questions without getting an immediate pat answer.

The same with you. Decide who you want to be, try on the idea of celebrating their birthday and see how it feels. Keep moving forward from there and see where it leads you.

Chris

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You got some excellent advice above

Well, my wife has finally told me that she will respect my decision to no longer be a JW, and I can also do what I feel is best for our children in this respect.
    This is an important statement. If she really believed the WT hype there is no way she would allow you to prohibit the kids from going to meetings. So that's HUGE
    As pre-teens I would consider letting them decide to go to the hall if they want. At home I would sit down with them and explore ideas, and thoughts. Take them out while mom is at the meetings and specifcally do things to connect with nature, take a hike, go for a bike ride, go camping those assembly weekends, visit a park. While you do those things make small comments about how amazing our world is. Many people find peace and a strong connection to a higher power/god in this way. Going to a meeting doesn't bring anyone closer to God. Get them involved in community activities, sports is a good one but find things they enjoy.

She might get support in the beginning. But it won't take long for them to treat her as someone to be wary of because she is connected to you. Like BT stated the way JWs treat those related to ones who have left is similar to leprosy. Eventually it will affect her. The kids will get that treatment as well.

When I was DFed both my daughters were shunned at the hall by all their friends. If nothing else that is what made them both leave - and realizing there were much better ways to spend time than sitting at the hall.

What do I do now? I want to be happy and have a real relationship with God, or understand my spiritual side.

see my second response. The internet can be a great source of info. Use it for you and for your children

I want my wife and JW family to see that things are ok outside the WT walls and good people exist everywhere. I want to let the bitterness go and in time add something to the human experience.

This will take time. But you can make or find the opportunities

I want to be a friend to workmates or people that I meet in settings outside the KH...which brings up another question, and I feel stupid asking, but how/where do I meet people?

To have a friend you need to be a friend. If the kids get involved in sports talk to other parents. Go to the parent/teacher meetings and meet the parents too. Talk to your neighbor (without the witnesing) they might enjoy a chat without anyone trying to sell them something

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

If your spouse has agreed to disagree with you on the religious aspect of your married lives, then you are one step away from teaching your kids to be free of the Watchtower control.
    Immediately begin to explain to your children that the Watchtower condemns things not forbidden in the Bible: Higher education, etc. Tell them you will love them unconditionally no matter what they decide to do. Let them know there are choices in activities on meeting nights. (music lessons, sports practice etc.) They can choose to go the KH or not, but you would rather them not go because they will not gain acceptance, or freedom of thought at the KH. Make it clear to your spouse that she is not to use punishments or threats of the big "A" to make the children feel guilty about not attending the meetings.

As far as making friends and meeting people--volunteer at their school. Get to know the other parents and their classmates. That's a start.

YoursChelbie

• parakeet
    parakeet

I was and still am married to a non-believer. He never pressured me to leave the JWs, but was there to support whatever I chose (not many guys like that, I'm lucky). I chose to leave the JWs about 6 years after we were married, and our son was raised a nonJW.
    Based on my experience, my advice would be to get the kids out of the KH and JWs immediately. Take advantage of that option while it's open to you. The longer the kids stay in the org, the worse they are damaged.
    In the meantime, continue supporting your wife. If you and the children are happy, that will do more to help her than any amount of talking about beliefs.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Well, as a JW wife I was scared to death when my husband quit the meetings. I felt he would divorce me. You know why I felt that is because what is constantly announced that when you quit the meetings you aren't spiritual and you have problems and become "worldly" tm.

So, my husband didn't try to talk me out of anything regarding the religion.. I noticed the lack of love within the congregations we had attended and I was quite tired of it. I would often go alone but soon tired of it as I began to notice the hypocrisy of the WTBS. My defining moment was watching the Dateline May 2002 on pedophiles in the WTBS.

My husband would talk about things as I brought them up. We would have dates on the weekends. We spent time together and had fun!!!

My advice is: be the kindest, loving husband: who can resist that?

Codeblue

• Rescripting_myself
    Rescripting_myself

I wish your questions had easy answers.

Here's my 2 cents worth of suggestions:

1. Have you read the experience in Freeminds titled How I helped my Family Leave Jehovah's Witnesses ? Could you use the same method with your teenage in a manner that they can understand?
    Could you keep up with meeting attendance till you have worked through my suggestion with regard to your children? That way your children are still likely to listen to what you say at the family "bible study". It will also likely stall the efforts of other JWs to "support" your wife and children "spiritually" if you were to completely cease all JW activities.

What do I do now? I want to be happy and have a real relationship with God, or understand my spiritual side. I want my wife and JW family to see that things are ok outside the WT walls and good people exist everywhere. I want to let the bitterness go and in time add something to the human experience. I want to be a friend to workmates or people that I meet in settings outside the KH...
    Even as you at least engage in JW meeting attendance, you could cultivate friendships with non-JW people say workmates and others whom you could very gently introduce to your family. With time your new friends children could start interracting with your children while their wives could start to interact with your wife. Such interraction might make your family get to see that so-called "worldly" people by the WTS are not the monsters they are made to be.
    which brings up another question, and I feel stupid asking, but how/where do I meet people?
    • You could start by having lunches with your workmates. With time you and the continued social interraction with them, you might find that genuine friendships develop between you and some of them.
    • You could join a health club - gym or whatever. This will expose you to "worldly" people in a neutral atmosphere. Again with time some of them will strike conversations with you that will lead to friendships.
    • You could volunteer to offer whatever service you can in charitable organizations in your town. This will again provide you with opprtunities to meet and interract with "worldly" people.
    I know a lot of you have been at this point so I appreciate any answers or additional advice you can offer.
    I hope some of the advice above helps.
  • hopie
    hopie

HELLO DOINMYPART !!!

LET ME CONGRATULATE YOU ON YOUR DECISION MAKING, IT IS NOT EASY TO MAKE LIFE CHANGING DECISIONS.

EVERYONG ONE IS DIFFERENT AS TO HOW TO HANDLE DIFFICULT PROBLEMS SUCH AS YOURS WITH CHILDREN'S WELL BEING IS AT STAKE. CONSIDER ALL YOUR OPTIONS, THEN GO WITH YOU CONSCIENCE.

ONE SUGGESTION, BECAUSE DEPROGRAMMING IS A SLOW PROCESS, EDUCATE YOURSELF, BY EXAMINING THE COMMON THREAD THAT LINKS ALL RELIGIOUS CULTS.

1. CULT LEADERS CLAIM THEY ARE THE (ONLY VOICE OF GOD)

2. MEMBERS ARE PROHIBITED TO QUESTION THE ESTABLISHED TEACHINGS.

3. CONFORMITY AND MENTAL DOMINATION.

4. ISOLATION: MEMBERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SOCIALIZE WITH ANYONE THAT IS NOT OF THEIR OWN FAITH, INCLUDING PARTICIPATION IN SCHOOL PROGRAMS, SUCH AS THE ARTS AND SPORTS.

THERE ARE MANY MORE THAT IDENTIFY CULTS, BUT THIS IS A GOOD START FOR YOU. REMEMBER, RELIGIOUS MAL-TREATMENT IS NOT BLESSED BY GOD'S SPIRT, SO YOU CAN BE REASSURED THAT GOD WILL BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU STRONG DURING THIS PROCESS, AS I FOUND OUT WHEN I RESCUED MY DAUGHTER FROM THIS CULT.

• Free
    Free

Sign the kids up for soccer and baseball , then you'll see how they feel about things, watch them grow as individuals not repressed souls that will have constant guilt. NEVER stop in influencing your wife to get out and stay out, get one of Ray Franz's books in her hands. ( talk about the light getting brighter and brighter.) and as far as finding people to hang out with, I never knew more boring people than JW's, they couldn't find fun if it came up and bit them in the ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit