To All Who Love Or Dare To Love

by ladonna 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Thank you, Ana

This story filled my heart this morning.

love, lauralisa

If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off
  • Farkel
    Farkel

Ana,

That was beautiful. As a father myself, I know how true to themselves young children are. We adults all-too-often forget what's really important in life.

I have tears in my eyes.

Wendy,

What you said was beautiful.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Thanks for posting that story. Wow, I had to stop reading when the story said the girl was pale. I knew where it was going, but I needed to prepare myself for it. Then I finished reading, and I could just barely move, it was so good. I am tryping this reply about 10 minutes after reading it. Thanks to you and to Ray Whiting for such a great story.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

WOW that was soooo touching. I'm still crying. I'm a bit overwhelmed, can't think of anything to say!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I hate to be the scrooge here. No honestly, I really do hate to be the scrooge..but....

I'm a known cry-baby, but this one isn't getting to me. It might have a year or two ago, when I was in severe depression. But even then, I don't think I would believe it to be a true story. It reads like fiction to me. Not very much of it brings the "ring" of true human reactions to my mind. (including the first paragraph, btw)

I guess what bothers me so much about this brand of bullshit, is that there are real stories out there, such as mommy's, that can bring us "A gift from a child with sea blue eyes who taught me the gift of love."

In fact, there are far too many real stories out there for anyone to be wasting time passing off crap like this as truth. If you can't be sufficiently touched by true stories of humanity, if one can't find lifes lessons in reality, then I submit that these stories aren't really getting below the surface anyway.

Btw, I am not here ridiculing any of you who were touched by this story. I know I may sound that way, but I'm not. As I said, a year or two ago, I might have been a blathering soppy vat of tears after reading this. It is touching, I just don't think it is true.

Do a google search of "My Mama says Sandpipers come to bring us joy". You'll find about 20 pages worth of this story. I even found a couple by "Ruth Peterson", so someone is definitly lying there. Most of them will be on christian devotional/inspirational websites. We all know how concerned with truth those types are. What you won't find (or I couldn't, maybe someone else will), is anyone claiming to be the Robert Peterson of this story.

• Kristen
    Kristen

...I liked the story anyway.

((((HUGS)))) to mommy, for sharing her own reflection of it.

Kristen

• ISP
    ISP

It doesn't have to be true...it can be an urban legend for me....but it is still a highly appropriate reminder for all of us that live in the 'urgent' and who pass off opportunities to show deserved love and kindness to those we should...and who may have the ultimate cost of never getting the chance to do so

ISP

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

heck I cry at hallmark commercials!!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Six,
    You did some research and probably have a valid case. As I read the story as if through an aquarium of water blurring my vision, I wondered if it was true. I agree, Mommy’s real life is more important than fiction about a sick child.

BUT, Mommy made the point that often we don’t see what we should, as children see things. Mommy said, “They see life in an unjaded light, and don't understand why we overcomplicate things.” In view of this reality, it doesn’t matter a bit to me if it was fiction or a true story, because it helped me come back to reality, to see things ‘unjaded’ for a moment. I think this is good for us.

You said: “It is touching, I just don't think it is true”. It doesn’t have to be “true”, nor does it have to be “touching”. If it shakes me back to reality and out of my own tendency to absorption into petty personal anxieties then it was good, whether or not true. Having separated emotionally and mentally from the fundamentalists, why allow ourselves to be again obsessed with what is absolute truth. If it ‘touches’ us fine. If it Moves us, even better. Lets learn from the children and not “overcomplicate things”.

Jst2laws

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Mommy,

Quote: "Sometimes we forget how simple life is, but through the eyes of a child we can see. Sometimes we forget how simple life is, but through the eyes of a child we can see."......." I really try to remember this as I go about my day, and interact with others, but I fail miserably at times. It is a shame that so many on this earth forget to look at life as a child does. It is a beautiful place. I am sure a much more beautiful one if everyone did it."

Wendy, this discussion took me back to several agonizing days of looking over my 14 month old son on life support equipment in intensive care. As he finally started to come out of it I held him tight as he whispered half unconsciously, “daddy, daddy, daddy”. I thought I would keep life simple from then on but I failed miserably. I let myself put my family second once again after he recovered. I believe I really have changed this time, as I’m no longer under the control of others. My recovered son, now age 14, and I threw the football yesterday, and today I spent the day with him on the dirt bikes. I’m SO glad he is alive, and so glad people like you are here to remind us to appreciate what we have.

Thanks to Ladonna too for posting this.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit