Any Tricks or Tips for getting around on crutches??

by AudeSapere 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting around on crutches??

I did a stupid thing Friday afternoon and ended up in the emergency room with a broken ankle and a torn up knee. I'm now on crutches - lucky me...

I live alone and - since my move - now have a two story house.

It's not quite as much fun as you might think.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for the simple things in life - like bathing and getting dinner to the table while using crutches and keeping all weight off of a leg? Something is torn in my knee (MRI later this week will tell how much damage) and the knee cannot support any weight. (The good news is that the knee doesn't hurt - it doesn't function, but it doesn't hurt. The ankle hurts all the time.)

So, how to get my hair washed? How to get dinner to the table?? How to pick up trash, etc? How do you get the laundry to the washing machine without making 30 trips from the bedroom?

I'm looking for any and all tips, tricks, suggestions, and - of course - sympathies.

-Aude.

PS: If you happen to be driving by, could I maybe hitch a ride to the market?? It's my right leg, which means I can't drive either...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

oh Aude! you poor thing... I am so sorry to hear about it.

I've never used crutches or broken anything so I have no advice. I'm helpful hey!!! LOL

But just think - when you eventually do get to the market you can just knock any brats out of your way with the crutches!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Ouch, I'm so sorry! I have no advice on getting around on crutches. Especially if you have a 2 story place, yikes sounds like it's going to be tricky. But I hope you're ankle and knee get better really soon!

• luna2
    luna2

Wow, you really did a number on yourself. Ouch!

I've never been on crutches either...sorry that I'm no help to you.

Re the shopping: Do you have a grocery that delivers?

• Fleur
    Fleur

Oh, I have all kinds of advice for you. First of all, order takeout, get it delivered. Do not try to cook. Believe me, you will fall again and injure yourself worse if you try to do all the 'normal' things that you do.

Bathing is a real b**** with cast/crutches. Do not even attempt getting into the tub. Dab and sponge-bathe. Gross, but that's the breaks (no pun intended) I would recommend leaning your weight on a STURDY chair on your good leg, and washing hair over a sink (kitchen works pretty well if it's deep) use a pitcher to rinse the shampoo out.

I hope you have a friend who can bring in paper plates and cups and simple single-serving type snacks and drinks. Please believe me when I tell you, you do not want to get fancy with trying to be 'brave' and doing everything on your own as you normally would.

As someone who falls and sprains/tears something badly at least twice a year on average due to balance issues, this is one subject I have all too much experience in.

Forget cooking, eat pizza, and as much as humanly possible, stay OFF the leg. Avoid stairs if at ALL possible and if you have to go up or down, do it only once a day and go on your bum. Do NOT attempt to go up and down stairs on crutches. It never ends well.

I can't tell you how many times I had to learn this the hard way, or that I saw friends do it. One person ended up with a concussion and broken arm because she slipped in her cast and hit her head trying to empty the dishwasher with a broken leg..

the goal is to be as comfortable as possible while not inflicting any further injury. it still as much as you can. I wish you speedy healing!

essie

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Aude! ¡Pobre sita!

I have one bad break and two bad tendon-stretchings (from knee to ankle on each leg) under my belt.

For trash, there are are grip activated claws or poles with nails in the end. For laundry, its 30 trips unless you have a rolling hamper. One thing that may help is throwing the clothes downstairs and arranging to keep them there for the duration of your infirm status (if they are already downstairs then the rolling hamper may help). The reality is people have to make short term adjustments for stuff like this. Being differently abled means you have to reshape your environment for a while to revolve around your capabilities. If it was permanent, the environmental changes would have to be, also.

Hair washing won't be the most enjoyable experience, but you can't really beat the kitchen sink at times like this. Or decide to eat the cost of getting it washed professionally (a possible upside to injury? )

Getting dinner to the table may not be an option, if you are cooking hot stuff. You might have to take the table to the stove/oven to manage. Again, think in terms of short-term (if inconvenient) changes to the environment until you can walk again.

I hope this helps, and I hope you get well very soon!

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Wow, essie! I didn't know we had so much in common, lol!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    PS: If you happen to be driving by, could I maybe hitch a ride to the market?? It's my right leg, which means I can't drive either...

Awhile back I broke my right ankle... it took some practice but I was able to drive using my left foot. Sure, my passenger kept jumping and grabbing the dash board ever few minutes , but I got us from point A to point B.

My broken ankle wasn't so bad that I needed a cast, so I really cannot help you with the other cast related issues.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

You need to get a wheelchair, so that you can do things around the house. Don't take baths, take showers. Wrap your whole cast in a garbage bag or some other sheet of plastic and tape the end while you're showering. You can, also, wash your hair in the shower. Just get some kind of shower chair. If you don't have a shower chair, buy one of those cheap plastic lawn chairs. When you go to the grocery store, use the scooters to do your shopping.

I'll add more as I think of it.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

OK. This is getting good.

A few laughs and some sympathy is helping the pain subside.

Misspeaches - Thanks for the condolences. When I get to the market, I plan on grabbing that basket with the motorized chair attached - anyone gives me guff, I can run them down in their tracks!!

Misanthropic - Thanks. Quick seems to be relative. Yesterday the doc told me to plan on 6-7 weeks. Damn.

Luna2 - Grocery that delivers. Hmmm Interesting. Although if/when I get a ride to the grocery store I really want to try out that motorized backet!! Vrrrooom Vrrroooom!!

Fleur - Excellent suggestions!! My neighbor brought me some lasagna but it's near impossible to get the big tray to the counter and back in the fridge without tripping. I will switch to the paper plates and plastic cups today. So simple, can't believe I forgot about that!! My kitchen sink isn't too deep but it does have a sprayer-nozzle. I usually wash my hair everyday, but this sink thing is tough to manage - and I made a mess with water all over. Guess I need to practice. I'm 5 days into this. The first 2 nights I stayed at my brother's house to make sure that I could do some simple 'fancy' things - like get up off the toilet!! - without getting a concussion or breaking the other leg. Now that I'm home I notice that I am trying to be normal. Thanks for the advice - I need to give up 'normal' and be more realistic for the next couple of months.

AuldSoul - Thanks for the 'Poor Baby'. Sometimes that's better than a hug. Well, maybe not better - but almost as good as...!! A gripper thingy for the trash. Great Idea! I ask my brother to find one for me. A rolling hamper is another good idea. Fortunately, my washer and dryer is upstairs where the bedrooms are. Daily professional hair-washing is out of the question. (Can't drive to get there and I am cash-conservative at the moment.) My kitchen is not designed to eat in but I think I do have a little tv table somewhere. I could set that against the wall and eat in the corner. hmmm intersesting. and practical.

Elsewhere - About the driving... 4 years ago I broke the same ankle. Didn't stop me from driving at all. The difference this time is that I've wrecked my knee, too. The ankle is painful but functional. The knee doesn't hurt but is non-functional. As far as bracing and supports, well, I sell them for a living so I have a garage full of styles and colors!! I'm putting on my very own orthopedic fashion show this week!! I opted for removable braces this week but may change to a cool colored cast next week. Just for fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit