JESUS AND ZEN

by onesong 43 Replies latest jw friends

• onesong
    onesong

In his book " The Zen Teachings of Jesus",Michael Leong presents a very different way of understanding some of the things Jesus taught--thru the eyes of eastern thought.

Here's a couple of examples. (He first explains that we should try to view Jesus as a poet teaching us how to live beautifully.)

When Jesus is questioned as to the greatest commandment and his reply "You must love God with your whole heart, mind and strength." Leong proposes that this is a great "cosmic joke" for how can love be commanded? Jesus impresses upon us the absurdity of it by saying with your whole heart, mind and strength. What good is love that is forced--is it even love?

So why did he say this? Keep in mind who he was talking to, people obsessed with rules and commands. Jesus was constantly trying to show the folly of trying to gain something thru strict rule following. So, it's as if he said " Ok look, you want a commandment. Here's one, try following this."

It's a Zen way of teaching, thru paradox and irony. Another way is by going to extreme. Here's an example Leong presents.

When Jesus says 'I say to you whoever so much as looks at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Now honestly, what adult heterosexual male can say he has never looked at any other woman and felt passion for her. If we were to truly take Jesus words here literally how many men are guilty of adultery--how many elders? It's as if putting a plate of hot food in front of a hungry man and telling him that if he feels hungry he's committed gluttony.

Once again, by setting the bar so high Jesus demonstrates the uselessness of strict rules that only lead to judgement and guilt.

These are a couple of thoughts from the book...any comments?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

A very interesting slant on sayings attributed to Jesus onesong,

This analysis was excellent. I'll be looking out for Leong's book or ordering a copy.

If you have it there could you please post it's IBSN?

cheers, unclebruce

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

very interesting Onesong.

Me and hubby were talking about this same thing the other day. When we both started our exit we found reading Jesus words very comforting - moved to tears at times. I was saying to hubby "that's because they are beautiful ideas, concepts, and thoughts. just like a lot of Taoist and buddhist ideas I've come across. I was moved to tears by Jesus words because of the simplicity and beauty NOT because I was being touched by holy spirit."

I like the idea of this book. I'd like to add it to my wish list.........

• onesong
    onesong

It is indeed a great book that I highly recommend, here's the ISBN 0-8245-1883-7. Enjoy!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

onesong,

This book could be onto something because I agree that Jesus was not at all about strict religious rules and doctrines. He showed what was in your heart and your spirit as a person was much more important.

He even told the Pharisees that they were wrong to be examining scriptures daily to try to "get saved", that they should go to him and accept him and that was all that was needed. Jesus was a beautiful, kind soul of a person and anyone that goes to him and listens to his words about life and love will find it truly refreshing. Even for those who except him as a historical person and great teacher only vice God's son can still benefit from his teachings. Ghandi was not a Christian but was another great teacher and he said some great things about Christ and his life.

It was man that created religious institutions for the power to dominate and influence other men. Since Jesus was against these "institutions" and did not share the same strict enforced rules - if you followed his way, it would set you free from your enslavement to men and their rules.

which is why the Pharisees wanted Jesus dead!

Anyway, great book recomendation, it seems like the guy is really onto something by getting to the real value of Jesus and his life. Lilly

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    When Jesus says 'I say to you whoever so much as looks at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Now honestly, what adult heterosexual male can say he has never looked at any other woman and felt passion for her. If we were to truly take Jesus words here literally how many men are guilty of adultery--how many elders? It's as if putting a plate of hot food in front of a hungry man and telling him that if he feels hungry he's committed gluttony.

Once again, by setting the bar so high Jesus demonstrates the uselessness of strict rules that only lead to judgement and guilt.

All I can Say Is WOW... This Is My Exact Take on this scripture, and I have Never read Michael Leong's book...

I just assumes that I was probablly smoking to much cannabis, and coming to my own conclusion on that scripture in the process of completely deprograming myself of the "god bug"...Seriosly, I was just conveying that thought to a friend of mine...

Now I have a new book to read... Thanks, onesong

• poppers
    poppers

"Before Abraham was, I am." A zen koan if ever there was one. And who here, or anywhere else, can deny one's own sense of "I am"? This sense of "amness" is no different than what Jesus sensed, and is the very same "amness".

• onesong
    onesong

Until you get a chance to read it here are a few quotes from the book.

"We often misinterpret Jesus because we tend to take him to 'seriously' or solemnly. True spirituality begins with relaxation. In reading scripture 'seriousness' is irreverence!" In order to understand Jesus we must have a sense of humor."

"Deep spiritual truths appear to be self-contradictory or even ridiculous when expressed in words.True humor is needed to understand them, humor resulting from relaxation, not fear."

"He (Jesus) is more often worshipped (or attacked) than listened to. When we really listen to him we will find that he seldom preached or moralized. What he excelled at was relating to us through his colorful stories and enlightening us with his poetry."

"The most dangerous idolatries are those committed in the name of God. A ready example is the idolization of the words of Jesus by taking them literally rather than seeing the poetry in them. Our "punishment" for doing that is that we fail to recognize their beauty, joy and insight."

"One of the saddest errors we have committed is to make the kingdom an event in the future. ...The kingdom is available now.; this is what Jesus meant when he said 'the kingdom is at hand' ".

• Terry
    Terry

Oh me; oh my......

If you can interpret a statement in a variety of ways it is only because the person has not expressed themselves clearly and defined their intentions!

Ordinary humans do this all the time. With a divine emissary there can be NO EXCUSE!

the fact we have thousands of differing religious splinter groups (denominations) stems directly from the ambiguity of Jesus reported words.

This, more than anything else, should make it abundantly clear that the Bible and scripture itself is a pitiful and anemic medium of accurate communication.

It reflects poorly on a God who is impotent to express His mind clearly.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That is a good analysis, it boils down to: man should relate to god totally naturally out of his own heart and never out of a sense of fear or compulsion.

That is precisely what the JWs are doing, relating to God through morbid emotion and it never works.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit