Did You Believe "The End" Was Going To Come In Your Lifetime?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I remember in 1974 I had my first real job at a little place in North Miami called Edward’s Fabrics. I delivered fabric for them the first half of the day and then sorted the same the rest of the day. They were great folks as I recall. Anyway, I remember "informing" my coworkers there was no sense in planing thier vacations (as they often discussed at break time) for the next year, as they wouldn't be enjoying any such time, as Armageddon would be here. Can you believe it? Yep, I actually did this. That’s how much I believed it. Then one day, one of the older employees kindly took me aside and told me. "Steve, the world has been here for a long time and its gonna go keep going on for a long time". I of course refuted that comment, but it did make sense to me the way he said it. I have never forgotten that moment in time.

Still the staunch JW, I continued to believe. I quit a very promising musical band at that time to dedicate my time to he "faith". I didn’t wanna die at Armageddon! So, I settled down and worked with some jackass JW, at a camera repair company (who got me the job), got married to a slut of a woman JW who wound up sleeping with my brother-in-law JW elder. I dumped her when I found out about their affair. It destroyed my family. A year later at my fathers prompting I forgave my brother-in-law, in an effort to restore the family. A year after that my sister (married to my brother-in-law) sent me a letter stating that I was no longer welcome to visit her and her family as I had left the Organization (which I did in 1979). That was twenty-five years ago. I have never seen any of them in that time. I will always wonder if the band I had would have gone the distance. Whatyagonnado?

• Ozner
    Ozner

I did, untill the doctrine-change in 1995 about "this generation..." I was 24 years old then.

My ultimate feeling about "the end is coming" was when the "Revelation"-book was published, somewhere in 1988,

I was really thinking that the end would come very soon, I remember the resolution on the convention that year.

Ozner

• Undecided
    Undecided

Can't really remember having a real belief from my inner self, I just followed what I had been raised to do. I quit going to meetings very often or going door to door at all about 1974. I wasn't scared at all when 1975 came, I was having too much fun enjoying my life outside the borg after my divorce from a JW wife and marrying my worldly wife.

Ken P.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes, I did. I was raised in it from the age of 4 and lived my whole life thinking it would happen almost anytime. Every earthquake, every International skirmish made me very fearful.

I didn't look forward to it. Those pictures in the magazines terrified me, especially when I had small children.

• PDQ
    PDQ

I was just playing on the computer this am and I can not believe what I see.

Why would you waste such time on negative long lasting discussions about a certain religion? Are you trying to save people's lives? Seems that if you really believed the JW's were a cult, you would be trying to save the ones that are lost in the religion and will die. That makes more sense than wasting time bashing them.

Far as I know, the most beautiful thing God gave us all, is choice. We can do whatever we please. Anyone who is a JW has to be babtized and it is not just getting immersed in water, you literally are promising something to God and that is your choice. You know it when you are babtized and you know the consequences, the rules, etc. No one is pushed into it. You can also leave at any time. Just because others shun you, you know that is what will happen.

How happy Satan is watching all of this. He tempted the first perfect humans and won. How much more fun he has with all of us!

So, seeing all this negative discussions about the JW's, I'm curious, what do you believe?

• PDQ
    PDQ

Why are you blaming the religion? People are crazy anywhere you go. No religion has perfect people! No matter what religion you choose or even if you are not in a religion, you have to be careful, who you marry, befriend, trust, etc!!!!! I don't understand this.

You have to admit that out of all the religions on this earth, the JW's try to live their life by the bible. No one is perfect and everyone has a choice of whether they want to be in that religion or not. I know people that are not JW's that live good, wholesome lifes. There are many in other religions that live good lifes and are good people and there are many everyone that are not.

Sounds to me that most people are using their own experiences to make decisions about a whole orginization. Everyone has their right to their opinion.

So since you are not a JW anymore, what are you?

• minimus
    minimus

PDQ, WELCOME!!!!! I do reach many Witnesses and help them see that the JWs are a cult. I've gotten many pms telling me over the last few years that this forum has helped them learn the truth about the "truth". We bash the Organization because it is a CULT!

• nsrn
    nsrn

Welcome PDQ. You ask why we discuss negative topics. Well, as for me, this board is not my whole life--but it is a confirmation and comradery thing for me to know that other people felt the same confusion and disillusionment that I felt. I DO try to reach out to those lost, but I also hug and commiserate (sp?) with those people who can really relate. Just out of curiosity, were you ever a witness?

• DannyHaszard
  • sandy
    sandy

I never thought I'd finish High School either. I finished High School in 1994 and have been free of the mind control for about 3 good years now, thanks to everyone here on this board.

I was always afraid of the Big A and was relieved with the "generation" change. I though thank God I have more time to be bad then be good again. LOL

How logical is that!!! That is insane!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit