"Uh-Huh" is Not "You're Welcome"

by XJW4EVR 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I hear "No Problem" more than I hear "You're Welcome" or "Uh Huh".

When I first started working, I was painfully shy. The service industry was a nightmare for me - I wanted to hide myself in a lab where I wouldn't have to face new people every day. Then I worked with someone who did sales for a living and I have to say that he helped me come out of my shell and gain a lot of self-confidence in communicating with customers.

One of the things I learned from him was how to accept a "Thank You" gracefully, without feeling conspicuous or embarrassed. One thing I hated was feeling like a "Thank You" was shining a big spotlight on me and being noticed for something I was supposed to be doing, not anything extraordinary. As a result of my salesman/friend's help, I have a little repertoire of responses for whenever anyone says "Thank You":

• It's been my pleasure.
    • I'm happy to do it for you.
    • You're welcome, I've enjoyed working with you.

Where I work now, we are coming up on Staff Appreciation Week. I found out from a colleague that a patient mentioned me when the hospital CEO went around with the nurse manager and asked patients about the nurses who had worked with them and the best experience they had with the staff. The patient had told the CEO that it meant a lot to her that I went to see her at the end of the shift to say good-bye (not everyone does it, but I think it's an important part of care delivery), and she was most impressed when she thanked me for looking after her, that I responded with "It's been my pleasure."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

As for the response "no problem" I think we might be able to attribute that to cross-cultural meme interbreeding. Unfortunately, as with most idioms, the sense doesn't transfer in the new language.

Anyone who has taken high-school Spanish - as I have, several times, unsuccessfully - knows that "Gracias" means "thank you." One viable response to "gracias" is 'de nada," which means "It's nothing." In the Latin culture, this is a way of putting the thanker at ease, saying, in effect, "You don't need to thank me, it was no trouble at all."

Who among us has not used the cross cultural idiom "no problemo"? I think it was born in the "de nada" wing of the meme obstetrics ward, and it has migrated further to become the incomplete sentence, "No problem." Maybe the problem is more due to the fact that an incomplete sentence doesn't communicate well. If someone stuck that "no problem" into a complete sentence, everyone would be happier, I think.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it, amigas y amigos.

• daystar
    daystar

I think Nathan Natas makes a good point.

"You're welcome to my services"? or "It was not a problem to have delivered my services to you"?

I think there is a subtle difference, but not enough, I think, to warrant the calls of "outrage!" I see here.

I take calls from and make calls to clients all day long. Based upon the feel I get from the customer, where they're located, who they are, what position they hold, their speech patterns, etc., I choose my set of terminology for them. I may say "cheers" or "ciao" to someone from Europe. I may say "take care" to someone from the southern US. If they're from NYC, where typically the clients I speak with are much more uptight about this sort of thing and don't often appreciate casualness (unless, perhaps, from Jersey), "You're very welcome! Have a pleasant evening" is typically more appropriate.

But again, it all really depends upon how the client comes across. I begin proper and as I get a feel for the client's speech patterns, I adjust accordingly.

(I just got off the phone with a pleasant and obviously smiling client from Wisconsin to whom I had no reservations saying "it's no problem at all" when she thanked me.)

That all being said, I cannot think of a situation where I would answer a "Thank you" from a client with an "uh-huh". I've heard some of my colleagues use that and I think that's just a bit too informal. Then again, I'm the guy who refuses to abide by the company policy of asking for the clients' customer numbers first, and rather ask for their names first.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Who among us has not used the cross cultural idiom "no problemo"? I think it was born in the "de nada" wing of the meme obstetrics ward, and it has migrated further to become the incomplete sentence, "No problem." Maybe the problem is more due to the fact that an incomplete sentence doesn't communicate well. If someone stuck that "no problem" into a complete sentence, everyone would be happier, I think.

Except, "problemo" is not Spanish at all. The closest would be "no hay problema" and it is hardly a reply to "gracias" (at least in Spain). But we now hear this "no problemo" even in France, wherever it comes from.

• daystar
    daystar
    But we now hear this "no problemo" even in France, wherever it comes from.

Bart Simpson and The Terminator.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think "no problemo" is "spanglish": the crossing of an american phrase with a spanish "style" to it. It may be linguisticly idiotic, but language is a living, interbreeding thing, and sometimes your purebred poodle will find that beagle irresistable. badda-boom, badda- bing! ya got puppies!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks daystar!

Yeah it's definitely Terminator (which I didn't see):

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prestige/crossing/

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I have already taught my three y/o daughter to reply "it was my pleasure"

• delilah
    delilah

I noticed that many will respond with "no problem" instead of "you're welcome

......Delilah hangs head in shame and admits to saying this many times at work...ALTHOUGH, I do say, "you're welcome" as well. I haven't completely forgotten my manners.

• juni
    juni

Nathan - you brought out good information. I never thought of some things in the way you had posted. And I like the poodle/beagle analogy.

Maybe we should just mix it up a little - you're welcome, I'm happy to do that for you, not a problem, etc. etc.

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit