Asshole Atheism – Not for me, now or ever.

by donny 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Got it...now.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Clambake:

"Judging from friends and family, people who claim to have interest in Science , never really seem to have much of an interest in science outside of finding reasons to argue with religious people. It seems to more of a liberal arts thing, disguising itself in the guise of higher learning."

You're a poor judge of character as far as posters here are concerned. l have had an interest in science since before I became a Witness at age 14. As cofty said "Reality is awesome".

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

An interesting take on the "science" of climate change.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ew05sRDAcU

• Caedes
    Caedes

Judging from friends and family, people who claim to have interest in Science , never really seem to have much of an interest in science outside of finding reasons to argue with religious people. It seems to more of a liberal arts thing, disguising itself in the guise of higher learning.

I have a few doctors and engineers in the family and they could care less about the origins of the species. It always seems to be the political science major that figures they have all the mysteries of the planet figured out.

Well perhaps you should try widening your circle of friends to people who might actually have a different opinion to you. By the way I am an engineer and I am hugely interested in evolution and indeed any and all science.

• cofty
    cofty
    What has that got to do with the topic of atheism Richard?
  • never a jw
    never a jw

Richard, are you a Republican, or friendly to Republican issues? Nothing wrong with political affiliations. I just wonder if your view of the world is shaped by party affiliation.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Religious belief is like an attractive, bright red balloon. A child feels happy to hold onto it and doesn't want to let it go.

Fine, but don't accuse atheists of being assholes just because your faith can't withstand the smallest barb. If you play with your balloon in public it's your lookout, not mine.

Asshole enough?

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

@ crofty your right, a bit off topic. Posted it to give an example of how scientific data is sometimes manipulated to push an agenda.

@ njw no political affiliations here.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Richard,

I find it interesting when people use dishonesty, error or bias in "scientific" circles as an opportunity to make general statements about science. Almost no field of science today is free from debate, disagreement, error, bias, personal interest, money interest, and a myriad of circumstances that make scientific progress not a straightforward, 100 % efficient and effective process, but you can bet your behind, overall is always improving. Nobody could make a similar case for religion, because its driving force is faith, which is confidence in something that can not be tested. The word improvement for religion does not apply. You can use the word change, but improvement, certainly not.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Donny,

Somehow I find myself agreeing with you, but I would also agree if you said asshole theism, or asshole agnosticism, or asshole pantheism, or asshole deism, or asshole anything. I think you could have named you topic a little better and would have made you look less like the very people you are railing against

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit