Whats the aim of the people in charge?

by JoeSinclair 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hi Joe,

This is something that I have given much thought to. I have researched the work that has been published by leading cult experts such as Robert J. Lifton, Margaret Singer, and Steven Hassan. I have found many striking similarities between the Watchtower indoctrination process and what cult experts call "mind control". However, this does not mean that Jehovah's Witnesses are necessarily a cult.

Steven Hassan, in his book: Combatting Cult Mind Control explains that many organizations (even secular) can exhibit a few characteristics of cults without really being one. Hassan points out that the Communist Party under Mao exhibited several cult-like characteristics, although few people considered the Communist Party a cult. The truth is, the word cult is a very ambiguous label that can be slapped on just about any unorthodox organization that has strange practices. I have heard many fundamentalist Christians label the Mormon Church, the Salvation Army, Alcholics Anonymous, and the Church of Scientology all as "cults". But sticking a label on something doesn't always make it so.

I strongly believe that the Governing Body truly believes that they are doing what's in the best interest of the "flock". They truly believe that they are the "Faithful Slave" entrusted with the heavy responsibility of protecting the "flock" from all outside, "worldly" influences. I believe that because of this heavy responsibiltiy and pressure; they have been lead to to micro-manage the congregations as well as Witnesses lives. I think a good analogy is a parent who is trying to protect their child from outside dangers. We all know that there are parents out there who have very irrational fear and attempt to shield or cocoon their children from every little danger; not because the parent is sadistic, but because their love coupled with irrational fear makes them do some irrational things. This may sound as if I am trying to be an apologist; but I am not. I am simply being rational and objective. As Raymond Franz points out in his book: Crisis of Conscience, what has often plagued mankind in religion the most; is not the carefully contrived lie, but is often the deeply cherished and inherited myths. He pointed out that the current Governing Body did not invent the doctrines of 1914, the "Faithful and Discreet Slave", and "Salvation by Works"; they inherited them from Rutheford.

There is however, some very strong threads of "mind control" that run through the Watchtower publications and indoctrination process. As Steven Hassan points out; mind control contains elements of "loaded language', "thought-stopping cliches", and psychologically coercive images (i.e. Watchtower illustrations of people being destroyed at Armageddon)

As I recommended in a previous posting, you should do a Google search under Robert J. Lifton, Margaret Singer, and Steven Hassan. These three experts have published some excellent research into cults and the science of mind control. Their research is very enlightening.

I also recommend reading the work of Randy Watters (a former Witness and Bethel Elder) on his website:

http://freeminds.org

He has written extensively on Watchtower mind control and other JW psychological issues.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    1) Genuinely do believe they are the messengers of God, or

2) Know it is a sham and they are pulling a fast one in order to derive a benefit of some sort.

I would imagine that it is in fact neither of those, or rather BOTH of those.

I think you are right on -- only the "benefit" is rather "corporate power" than "private money".

This is one of the things I found most interesting when I read Ray Franz's Crisis of Conscience (a few months after I left): when he describes his uncle Fred Franz (then vice-president, soon-to-be president, and for decades -- already under Rutherford -- the major WT writer and ideologist) as constantly oscillating between self-delusion (believing he was invested of a divine mission) and cynicism.

I only think that after Fred Franz died the actual belief of most GB members was less in their own "inspiration" that in their collective inheritance and responsibility of "Jehovah's organisation(TM)". Being less creative, perhaps they are a bit less cynical too? I'm not sure.

• Confession
    Confession

I have given considerable thought to this very subject, and there've been some pretty insightful comments in this thread already. I agree that these men (or at least the great majority of them) truly believe what they're teaching is true, and that the WTS is the instrument God is using.

I think many of the Governing Body believe their own rhetoric. I think they are probably, in-part, a victim of the cult-like system which they themselves have perpetuated to enslave others.

Ex-JW, Don Cameron, wrote a book called "Captives of a Concept." I highly recommend it. He himself credits Ray Franz with the term he uses as a title, as Ray uses it in one of his books. I know that whenever I write about this I receive criticism from other contributors, but here goes anyway.

I do not excuse any of the WTS' representatives for the roles they have played in dominating people, controlling them and (in some sad cases) contributing to the abuse and death of adherents. But I consider it (in the great majority of cases) to be more a "sickness" and less an "evil." The same sickness that we ourselves suffered from while rank and file JWs. Yes, while they are ultimately culpable in many ways, I believe "evil" status could come only if these ones believed what they were doing wasn't right--but did it anyway. Of course it's hard to really get into someone else's head and know for sure, but my personal opinion is that these people believe they are being brought along by God's holy spirit.

When did you first start to doubt whether it really was the Truth? How long did it take for you to finally decide it wasn't? And what forces kept you believing as long as you did?

For me it was probably a period of about seven years before I finally realized it wasn't what I thought it was. I didn't react right away because of the indoctrination that I'd been subjected to. It consisted of "knowledge" that I thought proved the WTS right. But it also consisted of a certain "life momentum" that most all people have to some degree. Many of us received this religion down through the years from parents and grandparents. There is a strong force that makes us feel that we should continue as they did. And until we really deal with this force, we're usually going to continue to submit to it.

Most of us are very understanding when it comes to rank and file publishers. We know that they were deceived just like we were, and we are full of compassion for them, willing to dismiss the many years they spent in spreading what we now know was falsehood and propaganda. But when it comes to Governing Body members, District Overseers, Circuit Overseers and elders, we seem to have less compassion. We think of them as the enemy, the bad guys, the devious bastards.

But why did these people come to hold these positions of office? I submit it (usually) was for precisely the same reasons that you decided to auxiliary or regular pioneer for a time. Because you felt (whether personally or as the result of organizational pressure) you should be doing more to serve Jehovah's interests. Similarly, for me, I was continually asked by the elders in my congregation to "reach out" for more responsibility. I didn't go beyond publisher for some time, but eventually decided it was the right thing to do. I was an MS for three years and an elder for three.

One thing I can positively assure you of: I was no less indoctrinated and controlled than any publisher. And I submit that (at least) the majority of those in responsible positions with the WTS are similarly indoctrinated and controlled.

So as a publisher, you may have spent 20 years spreading false prophecy and knowledge to thousands of people--perhaps even bringing others into the organization. As an elder I also did so--often from the stage and in judicial committees where I was somehow given the position to judge another's repentance. And the Governing Body is doing the same thing--just at a much more important level. It's true that the further you go up the chain, the more potential there should be for responsibility, but if a person is convinced that he or she is doing the will of Almighty God, he or she will carry out their duties. And outside of occasional flashes of personal doubt, the indoctrination and momentum kick in, and most will perform such duties free from any feelings of guilt, secure in the knowledge that they are a cog in the wheel of Jehovah's Theocratic Arrangement.

This concept that was started so long ago by C.T. Russell and that was perverted horribly by J.F. Rutherford just kept a'rollin', didn't it? It was a recipe that seemed to work for some dysfunctional reason, and the more time that went by and the more people that joined in, the more powerful or captivating it became. It took over our lives, filled us with a fiery zeal, and made us do things that we only now are convinced were wrong.

I once wrote before that, as much as I love my mother and father, I know that they very likely would have let me die before allowing a blood transfusion. And while this angers me, I know they'd have done it thinking it was the right thing. Woefully misguided? Yes. Ignorant? Yes. Worthy of being fought against? Yes! Evil? Not by my definition.

Some of the things the GB members have voted for, instituted and said have led to horribly sad consequences for many people. I feel anger about it. Enough so that I spend a fair percentage of my life discussing it with ex-JWs and non-JWs alike. But it's less an anger that evil people have intentionally perpetrated against others--and more a profound awe at the evil that normal people can commit when their minds become captive to a concept.

• jgnat
    jgnat

a profound awe at the evil that normal people can commit when their minds become captive to a concept.

Yes, there is definitely something to that. Take the ordinary prison guards of Germany during WW II, or even the American soldiers running POW camps today. Somehow people are able to shelve common decency for a false ideal.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jnat really hit the nail on the head.

Rutherford really cemented the cult features, along with the doctrinal structure still held to today. In recent years the GB are just 'company men' faithful and involved for a long time. As Nark suggested, they believed it long before becoming GB and are just doing their best not to squander their beloved inheritance.

I asked Ray Franz this question once and he felt that the governing body all have different agenda's, some have belief, several love the power, and most are old and dont want to loose their comfortable lives.

I think the following quote sums it up very well

John F. Kennedy

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hi jwfacts,

Thanks for including that JFK quote. I knew I had seen that quote somewhere in Raymond Franz's book, but I couldn't remember who it was from. Thanks.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks Arthur and welcome. Your comment was very interesting. Using the word cult for the WTS is emotive and hard to determine, but they certainly use mind control. We all attempt to use mind control over others to some degree, but at what point does it become dangerous? That is harder to determine.

Active JWs would say their use of mind control is healthy, a favourite cliche is "i don't mind if i am brainwashed, my mind needed cleaning". Most ex JWs seem to feel quite the opposite. I think that to determine if it is healthy or not you need to look at the ex members.

For example, if research is done into ex employees of a company, some will have good memories, some will have bad. If the majority have nothing but bad to say about a company then it likely was mis-managed. Most former JWs have mostly bitter memories, even if they have some feelings of fondness for their friends that are still part of it. This must indicate something about the affect the mind control techniques are having on the emotions and thoughts of members.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Tough call; lots of people who think they speak for God; lots of people who love the power. There are also a lot of people who realise it's a sham but have to stay for family/financial reasons, they tend to be the most compassionate elders, or the most liberal rank and file.

The guys in charge live very comfortably. More so than, say, the rank and file whose donations pay for their food, accommodation, medical, allowance... Still, that's only for as long as they play the game. They know they have to be organisation men or they're out on the street.

Local congregation leaders - elders - aren't paid, but have a lot of control over the lives of their flock, and there are many who abuse it. Even though they feel bad about, say, taking away all my friends and family, they still do it without a second thought, and think that god is on their side while they're at it.

• Justin
    Justin

The problem with a "cult run by committee," as jgnat calls it, is that it prevents the emergence of a dynamic leader who could rescue the WTS from the inertia which eventually is going to run it down. It seems they have arrived at crossroads. They can (1) wind the prophetic timeclock up again, drop the dates which were emphasized in the past, and start all over again with some other scenario or (2) loosen the reins and allow the membership to settle down without the constant prodding to perform - which would be the first step in going mainline. There is, however, no one to make the decision. At least a benevolent dictator who could decide would be better that what they've got now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit