I got on a jury!

by kristyann 10 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Yay! I got on a jury. I know that it seems a lot (most?) people try to avoid jury duty, but I really wanted to get on a jury! I got picked out of like a couple HUNDRED people that were there that day. We were all there for only one trial. Anyway, I obviously cannot give out details about the trial or anything, but I just wanted to say I got on one and that I am happy and excited and interested! I just think it's so cool to live in a country where we can do that kind of thing.

So JWs don't serve on juries, right? I remember one time, my ex-boyfriend's mom said if she ever got called for jury duty, she'd write them a letter telling them exactly why she wasn't going to serve. She didn't say what she meant exactly, but she obviously was referring to some stupid Watchtower rule. I think that's so stupid. What is the rule on that? Where is it in the publications? Is it like the voting thing, where they try to make it sound like it's "up to each individual's conscience," but really if you do it, you're in trouble with them? I don't know where this jury duty thing is referred to in the publications.

I think not serving on a jury is SO STUPID. I can see trying to get out of it if you have a sick relative or child to take care of, or you're sick, or you have some kind of situation where it would really inconvenience you (like maybe a small business owner or someone who works on commission and won't be paid)... but other than that, I think trying to get out of it is so stupid. The thing that gets me with these JWs is you KNOW that if something happened to them, they'd be the FIRST to want a trial by impartial, unbiased peers. They always do stuff like that. They don't like the government or the law, yet they're forever suing everyone and threatening people with lawsuits. (Maybe they think that's how they'll obtain their money, especially considering a lot of them don't have very good jobs.) And they make it so JWs can't be police officers, but they're always the FIRST to call the police for the dumbest, most petty reasons!

So what is their deal with the no jury duty thing? It really aggravates me that people want to live in the United States of America, yet they never want to participate in any of their rights and responsibilities and obligations, yet they DO want to reap all the benefits. To them, being on a jury is WRONG... unless it's one of THEM that was on trial and they needed a trial by an impartial jury, and then it would be just fine.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Well if thats what makes you happy.....? I personally couldnt afford to be on one for any length of time. I've got five mouths to feed after all.

• parakeet
    parakeet

In my state, prospective jurors are selected from voter registration lists. Since JWs don't vote, they don't get selected for jury duty. Is that the connection, maybe??? Otherwise, I don't know what the objection could be--being a juror is being part of the beast, or Caesar, or .......?????

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

I'm pretty sure JW's can serve on a jury. I knew an elder's wife who was on one for quite some time. They were decent enough as well(the elder and his wife). I know that in some instances their religious "principles" might rule them out as far as being selected as a juror. Might be one of those conscience things too though I do not see how it could be ruled out biblically.

• magoo
    magoo

...."judge not, least ye be judged"......

magoo

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

they have "judicial" committees so they clearly don't push the judge not rule on anyone.

• magoo
    magoo

....actually that was "tongue n cheek".......they are the MOST judgemental folks i know of

your jw or your dead

magoo

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Kristy

Can you tell us about it after the trial is finished? I got my first summons a few weeks ago. I go Tuesday and I'm also very excited. Everyone I tell just looks at me like I'm crazy, but I think it's cool. At the very least, I get a day off work (with pay and it doesn't count against my vacation days), I get to sit and read all day and if I get picked, well, that's even better.

• LDH
    LDH
    In my state, prospective jurors are selected from voter registration lists. Since JWs don't vote, they don't get selected for jury duty. Is that the connection, maybe???

Yep.

MWAH HA HA to the JWs. Soon your state will be using not just the Voter Registration list, but the DMV records too!!!!! (Just like here in California).

I have known JW who tried to get out of jury service but couldn't. LOL.

• Swan
    Swan

Congratulations!

I was on a jury last month for the very first time. I am glad I got to experience being on a jury for once in my life. I had been called once before, but they reached a settlement on the case in a backroom somewhere that very morning while 100 potential jurors sat in the courtroom twiddling their thumbs!

Last month I actually got picked and it was very interesting and memorable. It was a two-day civil trial involving an automobile collision. I felt very patriotic that I could perform this duty for my country.

Here's some advice. Take a paperback with you because there are periods of downtime when you will go bonkers if you don't have something to read or do.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit