Dr Phil - Mennonites/Hutterites - brainwashing

by Scully 24 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Oh, I am really sorry that I missed those shows! I usually catch those things. I have been so busy with school lately, though, that I didn't even know that they were going to be on.

Dr. Phil shows re-runs, I know, so if anyone ever sees commercials for when they are going to be re-run, try to post it on here and let me know.

looking glass, you are right. I do not think most Mennonites are like that, or are even that extreme. There are Mennonite churches around here, and none of them even dress in the traditional way. No head coverings, no nothing. They dress the same way anyone else would.... Then there are the Mennonites that live in other areas, like ones I have seen in Ohio and Pennsylvania (no, I am not confusing them with the Amish). Plenty of them do dress in a plain style, but they are still mostly fairly normal and plenty use cars, electricity, etc.

• whyizit
    whyizit

It was very telling when the one little girl did not want the other girl to watch TV, etc... Keeping tabs on one another.

They were very polite and put up a front of nodding and smiling, but I got the feeling that the first chance they get to run, they will be gone. Especially if their Dad gets to them, or if someone from that community can get them. I could see a blankness go over the one girl especially when a "trigger" word was touched on. I can't remember what the grandma said, but right when she said it, that girl got this "look" on her face. They need some serious de-programming. I'm sure Dr. Phil is working on that.

• Mary
    Mary

I saw a bit of Part 1 but that was it.........I really hope the girls get professional help, specifically by a trained therapist that deals specifically with helping people leave a cult.

• luna2
    luna2

My son was talking about this today. We had a good discussion about cults, etc.. He's never been keen to be a JW, but he's always cut them a lot of slack ...never wanted to come right out and say they are a cult.

He mentioned that the dad was going to prison, right? I feel so sorry for those poor girls. I hope they get professional help too.

• jw
    jw
    I wonder if the girls will ever re-assimilate into a normal life, or whether they'll want to leave and go live the "plain" lifestyle again.
    I pray the girls stick to there beliefs and religion and the mother does not force them into a school.
    The father did the right thing, and the girls even said they were happy and did not want to go back to their mom and be put in the position to have to be forced to do things they did not want to do.
    I pray the father gets those girls back.
  • Mary
    Mary

jw, isn't it time for your medication?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Dr. Phil.com

Dr. Phil has galvanized millions of people to 'get real.' Find out more about him and his show.
    www.drphil.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages - Remove result
    Be on the Show - Log In - Shows This Week - Messageboards
    More results from www.drphil.com ยป

By all means people lets contact the Dr. Phil producers with our own personal cult experiences,plant a seed for a show on JW's.

• sf
    sf

CBS' sister station is KCAL. This will re-air on the sister station in a few days. Check your local listings.

I saw both shows. The mother isn't being honest about her own internal beliefs either.

The father said they don't believe in higher education. The girls said they don't go to school past eighth grade because of the high school enviroment. I agree that the enviroment in high school is a great distraction in our teens lives. Not to mention the cirriculum is lacking in many areas.

Back to the topic. Both parents are not doing these girls any favors in teaching them how to handle difficult situations that WILL arise in their lives. All the father teaches them is to run. The mother teaches them to hide.

sKally

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I saw the first and second shows and think the mother is a little disengenuous. She is a whack job who happens to have married a fanatic. Its interesting that he brought the girls back and didn't hide out forever. Sure he knows he's got warrants against him, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have dissappeared if he wanted to.

The mother may be more in the mainstream of society, I get that, but she also has attempted suicide a couple of times and shown herself to be out of balance. You can see it in how she handles herself. The girls are sweet and deserve better than these two.

I actually liked the fact that the father was so straightforward with Doc. Phil when they spoke. He's a religious nut alright. He sounded like
    "Brother Conservative" in congregations of JW's around here that I've met.

Satan is everywhere!!!!!! Gimme a break.

W.Once

• jw
    jw
    All the father teaches them is to run. The mother teaches them to hide.

sKally

The father is teaching his girls that there are people and children that will not cause them harm. Giving them a choice .

He is religious , why is it that if someone expresses their religion , they are alledged fanatics.

I see that religion as good for them.

By there own admission they were happy there, and content on remaining , but they made a mature choice because of the love that was still there for the mom, to give her the benefit of there doubts, And what did she do, exactly what they feared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit