How do JW know they have the Truth?

by Noggin 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Noggin
    Noggin

Breif background: I am an ex mormon. That church preaches that through powerful feelings sent by god, one can know the truth of the Book of Mormon. Highly reliable, right? Anyway. Cult mindsets fascinate me now. I have studied twice with a JW bible study group and have attended one KH meeting. I seek to understand what the binding agent is in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I am in an online discussion currently at a Mormon forum discussing the unreliability of using feelings to prove Truth. I entered my experience with the JW's where I was told that god would reveal the truth in JW to me. I was told that no JW would ever tell me that.

My question: How do Jehovah's Witnesses know that they have the Truth? If they do not use feelings for ratification, what do they use? The infallible word of god? Isn't that completely teleological?

"Our bible is the Truth because we say it is"

???

Noggin

• Rooster
    Rooster

She answered that the Witnesses obey God. So I asked @ what point did Jesus tell us to identify ourselves by anything other then simply a Christian? She answered "we must be identified separate from all other religions.

I asked, "why, does Jesus not have the ability to know who we are or read our hearts?" If by divine inspiration the first century people who believed in and followed the teachings of Jesus Christ but who had not witnessed first hand the Christ or his works, they would be identified as Christians. Nothing more. To resort back to the Old Testament and take the name Jehovah’s Witnesses is working in direct opposition to what God has put into place through His son.

So the answer is obvious..

• Rooster
    Rooster

It's the old "if I say it enough times it must be true" mentality. We have the "truth" so shouted my aunt into a conversation that did not pertain to her. I later asked her this simple question. If Jesus Christ was sent here by God and is our King in the heavens why would anyone disobey what He has put into place through His son?

She answered that the Witnesses obey God. So I asked @ what point did Jesus tell us to identify ourselves by anything other then simply a Christian? She answered "we must be identified separate from all other religions.

I asked, "why, does Jesus not have the ability to know who we are or read our hearts?" If by divine inspiration the first century people who believed in and followed the teachings of Jesus Christ but who had not witnessed first hand the Christ or his works, they would be identified as Christians. Nothing more. To resort back to the Old Testament and take the name Jehovah’s Witnesses is working in direct opposition to what God has put into place through His son.

So the answer is obvious..

• Noggin
    Noggin

Clarifying:

I have gathered a few quotes from the Watchtower which indicate that the Jehovah's Witnesses are the Only true church on earth or that one must be JW to inherit heaven. Here is one of them: *** You Can live Forever (1982, 1990) p.255 *** "Do not conclude that there are different roads, or ways, that you can follow to gain life in God’s new system. There is only one. There was just one ark that survived the Flood, not a number of boats. And there will be only one organization — God’s visible organization — that will survive the fast-approaching "great tribulation." It is simply not true that all religions lead to the same goal… You must be part of Jehovah’s organization, doing God’s will, in order to receive his blessing of everlasting life…" 1. By what means does a Jehovah's Witness trust this is as life guiding empirical truth? 2. I was told that the truthfulness of the Watchtower just "hits you" during a bible study or at a KH meeting isn't that the spirit of god working in men? 3. How do JW's know everyone else outside of the Watchtower is in error? Noggin

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The binding agent, although most JWs are unaware they are bound by it, is the concept of divinely appointed authority supposed to have been conferred in the year 1918. It is through this God given authority that the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses dictate all beliefs and practices, any of which can change at any time, and it is a rejection of God's authority to reject any of the changes or beliefs, or to fail to adopt the practices.

The basis for authority is provably false, but JWs are conditioned to ignore any contrary data that would lead to a conclusion which could cause them to reject "God's" authority. If that isn't circular cognitive dissonance, I don't know what is.

"If I intellectually challenge the basis for authority I might find that the Governing Body has no authority from God, which would mean I should reject them as liars in God's name, which would be a rejection of God's authority, so I can't intellectually challenge the basis for authority."

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Noggin
    Noggin

AuldSoul:

Thanks for your response. When I studied with the JW's, they knew I was a former Mormon. I was used to the concept that a man could ask god if Mormonism was true and then God was supposed to answer through the Holy Ghost. So I asked the JW's I studied with how I could know that they were really the true church above all others. I was told that the truth would just hit me. I was encouraged to pray for god's will to show up in my life. I was encouraged to ask for divine guidance. I assumed that meant god would speak to my heart in similar fashion as done in the Mormon church.

I hear what you are saying about the divine appointment of the 1918 JW founding authority.

I am befuddled that 6 million JW's take that this appointment happened on blind faith.

1. There is no ratification to the individual member? No spiritual manifestation that the appointment happened?

2. If not, what is the spiritual component of the JW faith?

3. Perhaps I was told that I would be able to distinguish that the Watchtower was true above all other religions via feelings during bible study or a KH meeting because they already knew I was conditioned to think this way from my Mormon roots?

Anyone with helpful insights are welcome to comment

Noggin

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

When Rutherford decided to call the movement Jehovah’s Witnesses with the “idea” that it would somehow remain separate from all religions or somehow prevent it from being included as a religion proves he wasn’t thinking too clearly. Even the WTS gave up on that one.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    No spiritual manifestation that the appointment happened?

Not really. Not in any sense that you or I would recognize a spiritual manifestation. In their perception within the doctrinal dynamic, however, the following factors are their proof of appointment:

(1) Organizational growth.

(2) Unified message proclaimed identically throughout the world. (a subtle misrepresentation of reality, but believed true)

(3) The love evident among the brotherhood. (a gross misrepresentation, but believed true)

(4) Doctrine that is founded solely on God's Word the Bible. (a gross misrepresentation, but believed true)

(5) An organizational structure that could only continue to exist by holy spirit. (false, but believed true)

(6) Miracles and angelic protection. (urban legends that confirm belief, believed true)

(7) Perceived persecution, every adversity is perceived as an attack of Satan. (false, believed true)

That is just about the whole list. Each item can be deconstructed and proven baseless in minutes, but each serves to bolster confidence that they are in "the truth". They never give a thought to how many of these same factors are touted as proof by other religious organizations.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

I asked this of my husband and he returned it with the question well i guess it is if you believe they have the holy spirit. I can say I do not believe as a group they have the holy spirit.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think this is what psychologically goes on in the minds of some. First, the neophyte is persuaded that several "core doctrines" are biblically sound and true (e.g. no Trinity, no hell, no immortal soul, Jehovah as God's name which should be widely used, a future paradise earth, etc.), the particular combination of which is held to be unique to JWs. These beliefs are used to define JWs as having the "true religion" (since they contrast as a group with the beliefs of other religions), and the arguments used to support them seem quite convincing to a learner. This is the "hook" because once the learner has accepted these teachings as true, he/she is easily guided to the conclusion that only the JWs have the truth and thus JWs are the "true religion". This makes some of the harder doctrines (such as "1914") easier to accept; the reasoning is that these teachings must be true since I already know they are right about other things and they are the only ones who teach these truths. Thus, the "core doctrines" help reinforce the veracity of other teachings that on themselves seem a little questionable.

The "sinker" comes when the idea is introduced that God has always had an organization and is himself organized. If JWs teach the truth and are the only true religion, then it is relatively easy to accept that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is "God's earthly organization". And once that idea is accepted, then any teaching stemming from the organization can be accepted as true, even if it has no biblical basis, such as the teachings about "1918" and "1935", or that the Society is to be identified as "faithful and discreet slave" in Matthew. And if the person has doubts about the validity of any teaching (e.g. that sure sounds like a stretch), the idea that the WT&BS is God's organization can resolve those doubts because one can reason that some day the Society will get it right with "new light" and it is up to Jehovah to update his flock with spiritual "food" at the proper time. Thus the very idea of "truth" itself becomes relative; what is "true" today may be false tomorrow, but until we have "new light" it is to be accepted as "truth". And the way the JW accepts Watchtower authority continues in a circular fashion around the same assumptions instilled early on, that only JWs teach certain true doctrines, that there has to be one religion on the earth that is "true" while all others are false, and since only JWs teach certain truths, they must be the true religion despite whatever "inaccuracies" or "mistakes" (which are not viewed as "untruths") they may make as imperfect men.

For instance, the idea that the "end is so close", reinforced by one's own perception of the current state of the world reported in the news, and the idea that there will be a worldwide preaching about the New System right before the "end" comes (based on a scripture), can combine to convince a JW that the Society is teaching the truth, for who else is preaching about Armageddon and giving a warning than the JWs right now? Similarly, the Society uses analogies from the OT to reinforce the idea that its organization is the only organization. One familiar trope is associating Armageddon with Noah's Flood (this is done through citing Jesus who compared Judgment Day with "the days of Noah"), and by likening the organization to the ark that saved Noah and his family. And this hits on the biggest factor for maintaning belief....fear. Fear of Armageddon helps keep doubts at bay because what if the Society is right? Even if one is no longer sure it is the truth, he/she may think that it's best to stay "in the ark" just in case. Also, the committed believe that eternal life at stake, for most JWs this means a most appealing future in a paradise Earth, without experiencing sickness and death. Many JWs desire this greatly, and thus emotion also plays an important factor...the belief or conviction that one will never die. One thus can have much at stake personally in this, and will want it all to be true, even if there are some doubts in the back of one's mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit