Notes 2006 Spl Assy Day "Keep Your Eye Simple"

by doinmypart 47 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Here are my notes from the 2006 Special Assembly Day "Keep Your Eye Simple". I added emphasis to some of the notes.

Why Keep Your Eye Simple (Local elder)
    Our figurative eyes are prone to focus on too many things, so we have to keep a simple eye and seek first the kingdom. There are a lot of distractions that aren't wrong, but distract us from spiritual things and are thus undesirable. Do we have unhealthy thinking patterns? Keeping the eye simple takes effort and sacrifice materially. We have to take deliberate action, we must be mature Christians. Do you decieve yourself into thinking you have a simple eye when it isn't? Don't we thank the FDS for the upcoming program?

Reap Blessings for Keeping a Simple Eye (CO)
    When driving a car or flying a plane a person has to stay focused on their course. Aren't we trying to stay focused on the course of blessings Jehovah has for us? Do we appreciate Jehovah's blessings more than material things? Keeping a simple eye means to keep seeking the Kingdom, this involves our goals in life. Are we looking at material goals, financial security, fame, and fortune? We don't focus on those distractions. What if you have a family to care for? Cultivate the quality of contentment, you don't need the latest and greatest. Don't accumulate a bunch of things in this system. Family heads do you de-emphasize secular success; are you going up in the world, but down in the congregation? Some are cutting back on secular work to do more in the ministry even pioneering.

Be Sound in Mind - The End Draws Near (Local elder)
    Bible prophecy shows the end of this system draws near. Our eye, heart's desire, is focused on doing God's will. If you don't have a simple eye then you are like a stupid one focusing on everything, but what you should. Our goal shouldn't be to get rich. With recreation we want to be refreshed. We don't get upset because we have to wait a bit longer for blessings than we expected, the end is near. These are the last days of the violent, loveless system and those who cling to it. We are just minutes away from the new system. Be sound in mind by serving Jehovah first and staying focused on that course.

Keeping a Simple Eye in a Wicked World (Speaker from Bethel...this talk was introduced as an "important talk")
    [At the beginning of the talk the brother made some comments about greetings from Bethel; how he served in the area years ago and looks forward to seeing familiar faces; and in 20 or 30 years we will be in the New Order]
    A simple eye is focused on the Kingdom and not focused on material things. We can dilute the influences of the world by recognizing the world is in Satan's control, and never let our guard down. Don't love the world or the things in the world and we will enjoy life forever in the new order. We must repudiate worldly desires and study the Bible. Satan uses this system under his control by putting extra weight and negative forces on us. Non-essentials can weigh us down, we need to put them off. What are some of these things? Hobbies, sports, video games, internet, advanced education, materialistic pursuits, and financial security.The FDS wants us to recognize these things can distract us and weaken our faith. When a person has a lot of things they are a distraction, we don't need more things. If you have the necessities then live for the new order. Do you waste a lot of time on e-mail and text messages? Does playing video games take away from personal study? Pursuit of a comfortable life is dangerous and can rob our relationship with Jehovah. During Noah's day people fell into this same situation. Reports from COs are that study and Bible reading is neglected by Witnesses. Jehovah won't give us everything we want, just what we need - so be content!

Dedication and Baptism (Local elder)
    This should be the happiest and most important day of your life, nothing is more important. Today you begin a life of service to Jehovah. You devote yourself to the worship of Jehovah. You have to make sure you live up to your word. How would Jehovah feel if a person made a vow and didn't keep it? He says it would be stupid (Ecc 5:4). Israel made a vow, but became apostate. Israel was punished for this. James 5:12 tells us to keep our vow or fall under God's judgment. All of us not just baptism candidates need to think about our vow and does our "yes" still mean "yes". An affirmative answer to the 1st baptism question shows we recognize the importance of the ransom, we have sincerely regretted our previous lifestyle, we tell Jehovah we will give his will priority over everything else, we reject a worldly lifestyle. The 2nd baptism question shows you have full knowledge and understanding of your decision; as a Witness you will be loyal to the Organization and obey Organizational direction; always confess union with Jehovah and His Organization.7 baptized...6 were kids, 1 adult

Experiences (Local elder)
    Interviewed a couple. The couple turned down scholarships to pioneer. They have to keep things simple so they both can pioneer, but they are content.

Parents Who Aim Their Arrows Aright (Local elder)
    Parents must give proper training and guidance. Success depends on Jehovah's support. Interview one set of parents, and a single mom. Parents aim your children and give them a strong sense of direction in the path of life.

Youths Who Reach Out for Spiritual Goals (Local elder)
    Esther evenutally became a queen, perhaps Jehovah put her in that position. MTS, Bethel, Gilead, and Serving where needed are great privileges. Spiritual goals are attainable for young people. Interview two people in their mid-20s. Sometimes the things we want we don't attain, but Jehovah puts things before us. Set spiritual goals and make advancement.

Focus on Moving Ahead With Jehovah's Organization (Speaker from Bethel...this was also introduced as an "important talk")
    If we keep our focus we will have insight from Jehovah, we need his advice and direction even moreso today. A simple eye can be attained and retained. The FDS is clear on what we should be doing today. Pursuing material things is futile. Jehovah guides us with his spirit through the FDS. We submit to this arrangement. The Organization has brought about our unity as individuals, families, and congregations.
    Individuals - If we start looking at the world we lose our spiritual sight. We need endurance to put up with hardships God allows. Jehovah looks at us as individuals not en masse. We show love to those outside the Organization by witnessing. We need to study and meditate on God's Word and publications daily.
    Family - Teach fear of Jehovah, practical training, and education in reading and writing. Have a regular family study. Read the Bible and publications.
    Congregation - Cooperate with the Organization. Don't be critical of the brothers leading the Organization. The CO, DO, and Branch overseers we need to be obedient and submissive to them, this produces unity in the Organization. These men are imperfect, but we are doing the best we can. Widen out and involve yourself in brothers' lives internationally -- write letters to foreign governments [some other points were made that I missed].
    The congregation in Pergamum was in danger of apostasy, today all of us have to act if apostasy comes up. Completely reject them, maintain a firm stand against them. The congregation in Thyatira tolerated a Jezebel spirit and immorality, don't revert back to wicked teachings, and handle immorality quickly. Congregation in Sardis was dead spiritually, when we render an account to God we don't want to be half-souled in service. The Organization is moving ahead, don't get left behind. Look beyond this system to Paradise.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

You poor thing - having to sit through that lot of drivel.

How interesting though:

[At the beginning of the talk the brother made some comments about greetings from Bethel; how he served in the area years ago and looks forward to seeing familiar faces; and in 20 or 30 years we will be in the New Order

Do you think that was part of the script? I guess that means its really unlikely my parents will live to the new system! Has anyone else attended - did that statement get dropped in or was this brother optimistically ad-libbing?

• onesong
    onesong

I have a friend who went to this assembly and he mentioned that twice (from 2 different speakers) the comment was made in no uncertain terms that (paraphrase) "Even if you don't believe all of this or have questions, you must still, OBEY."

If only the Dubs could think. If they could imagine going into ANY other church and hearing a comment like that, they would see it for what it is!

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Crumpet - The comment about being in New Order 20-30 years was just the Bethel speaker's personal comments. This was his first talk and he was giving all the customary greetings...good to be back in this area...if we don't see old friends today, we will see you in the New Order in 20-30 years...and then he got into the talk. I just thought it was interesting for him to make that comment.

Onesong - After the SAD was over I was talking to a few people about the day's talks. One older sister has a beautiful garden, she told me she will have to give it up since this hobby is a time waster, and try to do more in service. It was really sad, here this older lady has something she is good at and finds enjoyment in the latter years of her life, but she will give it up for a cold and impersonal organization. I too wish more of them would think.

• sf
    sf

Yet another hypoCRITICAL contradiction:

These are the last days of the violent, loveless system and those who cling to it.
    Don't love the world or the things in the world

Then the complete contradiction:

We show love to those outside the Organization by witnessing.

Do these klowns even proofread what they write?

sKally

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi doinmypart, thanks for taking the time to write this up!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    and in 20 or 30 years we will be in the New Order]

If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that same shit in the last 30 years...

W

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Thanks DMP!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is just a recycled program from about 1990. It's exactly the same as I remember it. (except for the internet reference)

• minimus
    minimus

THANK YOU for this commentary!!! It struck me how they really don't want you to do anything except what they tell you. They try to make you feel guilty over NORMAL things. Sad really that we got sucked into such a critical mindset.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit