Do you miss fictional characters?

by Swan 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Swan
    Swan

I just finished a 970+ page book this weekend, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and now I'm bummed. I miss Claire, Jamie, Brianna, Roger, Jemmy, Ian, Fergus, and Marsali already. It will be one to two years before I find out what other surprising twists are in store for the time traveling Fraser family.

The Lord of the Rings was the same way. I've read it five times and always felt sad at the end when the characters parted ways.

Maybe it's because these characters are like family, and their separation from me, and each other, is a heart-wrenching reminder of my estrangement from my own family.

What about you? What fictional characters do you find yourself missing? Have you read any good books that you can recommend for me to get my mind on something else?

Tammy

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i LOVE the outlander series.. i re read them all often

janet chapman has a good series about time travelers in maine... check them out..

not at outlander level..but good reads.

i miss anne rices witches and vampires... i'm disapointed that she went to writing about Jesus childhood.. never did read that one.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I think about all the characters from the Harry Potter series for days after finishing a book. I was also attached to Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne as a kid.

Dams

I read a lot as a kid, I would get so absorbed in books, the characters and their worlds, It was a way to occupy my mind and calm myself down when life wasn't going well. The library and bookstores are some of my favourite places to this day.

• serendipity
    serendipity

As a girl, I was attached to the Ingall's family (Little House on the Prairie) and to Nancy Drew.

• lucifer
    lucifer

YES!!! I'm always a little depressed after reading a book because I want the story to go on...Harry Potter is my weakness

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

damselfly recalls:

I was also attached to Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne as a kid.

Oh, gawd yes. I read Anne of Green Gables as an adult, and I treasure the bit where Anne falls off a shed, sprains something, and cries out, "I think I have become unconscious!" Whereupon her bestest pal, Diana, panics and asks, "Where?"

gently feral

• Odrade
    Odrade

I miss Spike and Buffy. :) bwahahaha! Yes, you may laugh at me now, because I am laughing too. (but I still miss Spike and Buffy.)

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

I used to really enjoy The Cat Who... series by Lilian Jackson Braun, but they've gone downhill fast since the first half dozen or so books. I miss the Jim Qwilleran of the early books. The recent portrayal of the character just isn't the man I fell in love with... [sigh]

I also had a thing for Shane in the book of the same name when I was in grade school. And I fall for every good guy in the westerns of Louis L'Amour - especially Hopalong Cassidy!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

I'm from the generation of British Empah days, when you opened an Atlas, and half the world was British Pink, and half the world of mankind spoke the pukka, King's English, of Queen Victoria's day.

And everyone was reading the Ripping Yarns of the frontiers of Empire, like those of H Rider Haggard. My favourite was Alan Quatermain. His adventures with She[who-must-be-obeyed] and Ayesha, the doe eyed beauty of the Serengetti.

<Sigh> Them were the dyes

They don't write literature like that anymore

Cheers

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I miss Anne of Green Gables too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit