Who is sending who?

by mdb 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mdb
    mdb

“Up, up! Flee from the land of the north,” says the Lord [yhwh]; “for I have spread you abroad like the four winds of heaven,” says the Lord [yhwh]. “Up, Zion! Escape, you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon.” For thus says the Lord [yhwh] of hosts: “He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye. For surely I will shake My hand against them, and they shall become spoil for their servants. Then you will know that the Lord [yhwh] of hosts has sent Me. ~Zech 2:6-9 The Lord [yhwh] of hosts sends the Lord [yhwh] of Hosts? Two distinct persons, yet one God, one Lord. If the eternal Son, the Lord of hosts, is not God, how is this possible?

• kid-A
    kid-A

ummmm, what are you talking about?

• mdb
    mdb

If the eternal Son, the Lord of hosts, is not God, how does the Scripture in Zechariah make any sense at all? I'm look to see if anyone has a legitimate, logical, NON-SARCASTIC explanition to the above which aligns itself with the Scriptures. I don't want a "well, Jesus cannot be God because the Watchtower says so". If you don't believe it, how is this verse explained? Yes, the NWT probablly distorts this verse some how, but I'm sure most people here think the NWT is a bunch of garbage anyway (and some think everything is). I'm interrested to know what people think on this specific verse because it is very clear that there are two (2) persons of yhwh here and God says there is no other God but Him. If Jesus was not God, which He claimed to be, then who is this other yhwh of hosts? Jesus also said that the Scriptures speak of Him, but men refuse to come to Him to have life. The OT books are the Scriptures Jesus spoke of.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    If the eternal Son, the Lord of hosts, is not God, how is this possible?

It is not possible unless the eternal Son is God.

Which BTW, HE is.

Jesus is yhwh

He is the only Savior:

Ps. 106:21

Hosea 13:4

Isa. 45:21

Isa. 43:3,11

Acts 2:21

Acts 4:12

Romans 10:9

Jude 25

He is the Rock:

Ex. 17:6

Isa. 17:10

2 Sam. 22:32

Deut. 32:4

1 Cor. 10:4

Isa. 8:14

1 Peter 2:6

To believers there is one God - 1 Cor. 8:6

Unbelievers like the JW's have two mighty Gods - Isa. 9:6 and Jer. 32:18

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You might be interested to note that the NWT arbitrarily puts an end quote in the middle of v. 9, putting the reference to "Jehovah of armies himself has sent me" outside of the quotation, even though the quotation itself states that "he has sent me".

This is similar to the use of quotation marks in Revelation 22 to prevent Jesus from being identified with the Alpha and the Omega.

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

Hi wdb,

I tossed out my old NWT but somebody showed me this passage in their NWT and I was shocked to see that it said basically that Jehovah is sending me Jehovah. Does anyone have a NWT and can they post how this passage reads? At the time I saw it I was shocked. I'm glad you brought this up. Because of passages like this and others like you and Honesty mentioned, I came to believe Father, Son and Holy Spirit are indeed One and I left the organization about 3 1/2 years ago because of realizing this. I can't figure out why people admit the organization has lied about just about everything but then they don't think the organization is lying about who Jesus is. This is the organization's biggest lie in my opinion.

Thanks,

NowImFree

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

filed

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

In my bible the New International Version it reads very differently than yours. Which one are you using? It the NIV it clearly shows that it is an Angel of Jehovah saying that the Lord Jehovah has sent me. If you look at verses 3 thru 5, right before this statement it shows an Angel delivering the message not acutally Jehovah himself. When it reads "declares the LORD", it is not the LORD Jehovah but an Angel giving the declaration made by Jehovah. Remember Angels are messengers of God.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

lovelylil....Here is the NIV online:

3 Then the angel who was speaking to me left, and another angel came to meet him 4 and said to him: "Run, tell that young man, 'Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of men and livestock in it. 5 And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,' declares the LORD, 'and I will be its glory within.'

6 "Come! Come! Flee from the land of the north," declares the LORD, "for I have scattered you to the four winds of heaven," declares the LORD.

7 "Come, O Zion! Escape, you who live in the Daughter of Babylon!" 8 For this is what the LORD Almighty says: "After he has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you—for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye- 9 I will surely raise my hand against them so that their slaves will plunder them. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me."

The NIV thus does indeed attribute "Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me" to the "LORD Almighty".

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thanks. I am still reading it as an Angel of the Lord, not actually the Lord himself. See verse 1:8 in the NIV bible and the footnote.There is a footnote on verse 2:8 that in the NIV that says this is the Angel of the Lord. That is how I am reading it too. That there is an Angel delivering the message and he is speaking about the LORD Jehovah sending an Angel of the LORD Jehovah. Not two Jehovahs. Reading all of chapters 1 and 2, it shows clearly that it is the Angel of the Lord is the one that is sent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit