I went to Easter Catholic Mass

by skeeter1 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

A friend invited me and my family to Roman Catholic Easter Mass & Egg Hunt. I went. While I’ve been to a Roman Catholic church after casually leaving the JWs, it was my first time attending after being truly out.

I was hedonistic and even took communion. I thought, Christ wanted us to eat the bread to remember him....so, here goes. I jokingly thought, “At Memorial, we just pass the bread plate Here, the Catholics are so nice that they allow people to eat a piece.” The “talk” was a lot about Christ and his resurrection and eternal life. Not much different than the WTS, but the emphasis was on what happened on Easter Sunday, and how that brings our own hope to Heaven. I don't remember any talk about the "dinner."

I guess I’m just warped. I could not help thinking...gee what a gambit this is. Convince some men and women to give up family, kids, and life to serve “God”. Make them give a few “talks” a week, to attract new followers, so the followers give more money to the church. Not much different than the WTS.

But, I commend the Catholics. This church operates a soup kitchen. I was not "love bombed".

But, I can't look at a priest without wondering about the children...just as I can't look at an elder without wondering how many sexual abuse families he "sheltered" from help.

I wonder what Jesus would think of his current "Church"

Becoming an agnostic, cynical unbeliever in modern day religions, today.

Skeeter

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Andy and I went to the Episcopalian Easter Mass/Service. It was breathtakingly gorgeous and stirring. Very happy.

Thursday night, Maundy Thursday, we were asked to spend the entire night at the church (we were paid from the priest's discretionary fund), so that there could be someone there to let in the people who sat one hour vigils in the smaller chapel that represented Gethsemene. "Will you not wait one hour with me?"

Before it all began at 8 PM, we had an agape meal, complete with wine, rituals and toasts, to celebrate the last supper. Then we made a processional into the sanctuary where the priests washed our feet, we had communion and then they stripped the alter of any presence of Jesus, and washed it. Very powerful and done in almost darkness. The priests brought the sanctuary light and the communion hosts into the chapel to signify Christ's presence in the Garden. There were lots of flowers and candle light. It did resemble a garden at night. There was also the feeling you get when someone has died, like when you visit a funeral home at night and stay late. You could feel the history of 158 years of St. Mark's. I could almost see the ladies in their corseted dresses and bustles.

Then, back in the sanctuary, on the 158 year old marble steps to the alter area, I noticed a large wooden cross lying diagnally, adorned with a crown of thorns. It was all very moving and powerful and a contrasted starkly with the amazingly beautiful service today.

I never felt so much joy in the air at any religious service as I did today.

If you've been baptized in any church, you can take communion in the Anglican/Episcopal Church. Try it sometime.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Skeeter, I went to Catholic Mass too.. Very nice, really. And liked the fact that everyone could do the bread and wine thang...and the candles were pretty. I really think the church has changed..and have pushed alot of the Mary, saint worship..and pope infallibility..into the background... So not too bad..

• barry
    barry

Dont you people know anything the Catholics dont allow people of other denominations to take communion if you want to partake go to a protestant church and as long as you are baptised its OK.If you dont say the correct words the priest may refuse you .

• inquirer
    inquirer

skeeter1,

The “talk” was a lot about Christ and his resurrection and eternal life. Not much different than the WTS,

___

• inquirer
    inquirer

In regards to Flyinghighernows post....

In some ways, I think the Catholics have that "wow" factor, because they have been around for 1000's of years. All that history, all those saints, chapels, cathederals, posts, bishops, priests... The Vatican is a marvelous looking place.

But then again, they have had an awful history as well. I don't expect people to agree with me, but I could never forgive the Catholic church for forcing people to be Catholic, charging after Martin Luther, not reading their Bibles, etc.

I have mixed feelings regarding the Catholic church and I find Protestants to be hypocrites really.

Man dominates man to his injury, as said in the book of proverbs... I don't need to talk about the harsh treatment of JW's because that gets spoken off all the time, I don't want to beat a dead horse...

Sorry, all the emotion just pours out.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I went for a walk in the forest and read a book at the edge of the river. Thats the only "church" I need.....

Rutherford was right about one thing only "Religion is a snare and a racket"......and that applies to ALL of them.

Everything you need for existence is already within yourself, a fully realized human being does not need the opium of the masses offered by "organized" religion.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I figure hypocrites need help/church more than anyone.

Barry, you must not be very familiar with the Anglican church. They're actually much fancier than the cafeteria type Catholicservices. The church is also much more liberal and is not a fundamentalist faith. They do not believe the bible, which was decided on by the catholic church, is all inspired or infallible. They made a break from the pope over 500 years ago. Though Henry the VIII made the break, it was Elizabeth the I that established the Anglican Church, she is its mother. A wise lady who came up with ViaMedia. A good median between Catholicism and Protestentism. They are self governed and have a set of checks and balances in place to keep any one man or woman from becoming too powerful.

They are the exact opposite of the WTBTS really. They welcome all. They are very tolerant. The priest at St. Mark's is a lesbian. She's the best priest I've met anywhere though. Spiritual, wise, motherly, kind. She's helped us more in 2 1/2 months than the JW's helped me in many years.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's one of the major problems of the JWS, they are a very biased and intolerant lot just like the catholics used to be long ago.

• inquirer
    inquirer

greendawn,

!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER FORGIVE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit