More of Mormon similarities...

by ringo5 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ringo5
    ringo5

Got this post from an ex-mormon website and the similarities to the JW way of thinking are always enlightening.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/explain.shtml

I am thinking about posing these questions to my dub mother under the pretense that my Mormon friend at work has used versions of them in our discussions. Well he hasn't really, but he was probably thinking them....

• Leolaia
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks more like they've been drinking Drano!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I don't what Mormons you hang around with, but in all the years I've know many mormons, I've never heard even one of those seven listed. I've got Mormon friends and I know one active JW (and the experiences of dozens of EXs on this site), and let me tell you, the Mormons are NOTHING like the active dubs. Wacky doctrine, maybe....but as people (in general) you couldn't ask for anyone more genuine.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Wacky doctrine, maybe....but as people (in general) you couldn't ask for anyone more genuine.

JW's are genuine but they are still trapped in a cult just like the Mormons.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    CHRISTIAN;There is only one God (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6,8; 45:5) MORMON; "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light (Book of Abraham 4:3) CHRISTIAN; God has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 57:15) MORMON; "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345 CHRISTIAN; God is a spirit without flesh and bones (John 4:24; Luke 24:39) MORMON; "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's" (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22. Compare with Alma 18:26-27; 22:9-10)
    "Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38). CHRISTIAN; Jesus was born of the virgin Mary (Isaiah 7:14; Matt. 1:23) MORMON; "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 8: p. 115)
    "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine," by Bruce McConkie, p. 547) CHRISTIAN; Jesus is the eternal Son. He is second person of the Trinity. He has two natures. He is God in flesh and man (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2;9) and the creator of all things (Col. 1:15-17) MORMON; Jesus is the literal spirit-brother of Lucifer, a creation. (Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15)

From the CARM site because I don't have access to anything but what they have washed over online. I did go through my Mormon stage. After the Dubs I explored everything. Elder 1 and Elder 2 came by. They totally deny the "Gospel Through the Ages" quote. But I have heard it from several people who had the book this this quote was authentic. They are a lot like dubs in that they do not reveal EVERYTHING. They get you hooked by entensive love bombing, then slowly you work your way up to getting sealed in the Temple for all eternity with your spouse so when you die you get to populate your own planet. I always wanted to know what the holy underwear looks like but they get very offended when you ask about them.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    JW's are genuine but they are still trapped in a cult just like the Mormons.

I don't know.... my JW friend plays 'games' all of the time, like 'shunning' me for a couple of weeks when they can't answer probing doctrinal questions. From the many accounts I've read here, 'game playing' is something the hardline JWs are good at.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    I don't what Mormons you hang around with, but in all the years I've know many mormons, I've never heard even one of those seven listed. I've got Mormon friends and I know one active JW (and the experiences of dozens of EXs on this site), and let me tell you, the Mormons are NOTHING like the active dubs. Wacky doctrine, maybe....but as people (in general) you couldn't ask for anyone more genuine.

I always say; if I coulda chosen which cult to be raised in it would have been Mormon. That way I could have gotten an education before I split.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I always say; if I coulda chosen which cult to be raised in it would have been Mormon. That way I could have gotten an education before I split. Apostate Kate

At least they don't shun and judge a person like the genuine JW's do.

• ringo5
    ringo5

Sorry, I could have mentioned that this Mormon friend of mine is the most honest, trustworthy, friendly guy I know. HOWEVER, by your own admission, THEY HAVE WACKY BELIEFS (perhaps even wackier than JW's).

Where did they get these wacky beliefs? Did my friend or your friends come up with these beliefs on their own? I'd really question my friends sanity if he came up with the idea of baptizing himself again and again for dead relatives. Or the idea that that they need to wear special white underwear to protect them from physical harm and from Satan. But alas it was from a "divine" source, a prophet no less. Most here would agree that otherwise intelligent people can be "brainwashed" when god or the divine is involved and allow themselves to have their own reasoning powers manipulated by that same "divine" source.

That "divine" source uses the same form of pleading to keep their members in line as the WTS does for the witnesses. This was the point of the post. Perhaps your mormon friends might treat you differently if you yourself were a mormon at one point and asked the same questions about the authority of the "prophet" as you had the WTS? This is not to slam Mormons so much as it is to point out they use same false reasoning when it comes to defending their beliefs and leaders. Have you never gone to one of the many ex-mormon sites? The parallels seem obvious. I'd be curious to know if you've ever tried really questioning the validity of their beliefs? See how long you can do that before you'll hear them use a form of this- "When the Prophet speaks the debate is over"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit