Awake mag

by looking_glass 22 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I thought they were doing away with it. At least that was what I heard, but it is still around with fresh new articles, so what the deal anyone know?

• Legolas
    Legolas

I think it went to once a month.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Hmm, I had heard they were going to phase it out altogether. I wonder if it is once a month today only to be done away with later. Actually, it was like reading the "reader's digest" as one poster said and it was the one mag I did not mind reading. I think it gave JWs a bad imagine because for the most part it was about nature and personal experience and not doomsday enough.

• Legolas
    Legolas

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/84383/1.ashx

I also herad that there will be no more bound volumes of the WT or Awake...but I could be wrong

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yeah, that I know is true. My mom said it was because it was getting too expensive and now with the library on dvd they were not as heavily used. But I always wondered about the people who did not have a computer, unheard of I know! It just encourages people to become pack rats. Those poor JWs in Africa, they will have to start lining their grass huts with the mags in order to have room to live in their hut.

• wombat
    wombat

": I think it gave JWs a bad imagine because for the most part it was about nature and personal experience and not doomsday enough."

I would have thought that this is why the Awake is important. It gave a soft approach at the door. In my day you would always present the "harmless" Awake, hopefully to lead into the heavier stuff later.

(I shall never forget being with an Elder in the magazine work as he explained to a feeble old lady in her 70s how important it was for motorists to look in their rear vision mirrors whilst driving.)

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Wombat - as for what the elder said good on 'im. They should look in their rearview mirrors.

Yeah, you would think they would want a soft approach, but I think they figure if they scream "the end is coming, the end is coming" while beating people upside the head with the Bible, it will cause more people to have blind panic and rush into the hall. But I could be wrong.

• Mary
    Mary

The Awake! magazine has gone to once a month, no doubt because they're running out of crap to print the information that was presented in there was just so overwhelming in it's intensity, that the brothers couldn't handle getting that much spiritual food at one setting.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

No wonder publishers are finding it hard out in FS. Most of my placements were on the Awake, some of those watchtowers were murderous to place

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

Yes, wombat.....The Harmless Awake verses the Harmful Watchtower..LOL.......If that doesn't make a Dub think...what the hell am I doing placing Harmful Mags!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit