JW and Jewish kosher

by zagor 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• zagor
    zagor

Just reading another thread I've noticed something rather interesting. Why is it that JW today do not follow Jewish kosher or kashrut of draining every last drop of blood out of meat? ( Heb: Kaf-Shin-Resh - fit, proper or correct)

Why aren't they that particular about draining blood from meat as they are about abstaining from blood transfusion? After all even their own literature admits, "originally that was the only purpose" of Acts 15:29. As a kid I remember being paranoid about getting every reddish blood vessel out of fish or chicken and being told that I was going too far with it, and that "reasonable approach" must be taken when considering things like that. One would wonder where is then a "reasonable approach" when it comes to blood transfusion and detailed regulations of what is acceptable and what's not (which in all honesty reminds me of Pharisees' crazy detailed regulations of what IS or IS NOT allowed to do on Sabbath)

How about you lurkers, don't you feel something fishy? I mean think about it. One would expect that your stance toward draining blood from meat would lead you into even more extreme thing like refusal of blood transfusion. But somehow blood transfusion is more of a sin than having blood in a meal.

• G Money
    G Money

As a rabbi`s wife explained to me, some worship more, some worship less. I think all major religions are crap and are for control and money. None follow their teachings to the letter.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

That`s a very good question, Zagor. Actually, butchering an animal kosher or halal, doesn`t get rid of every single blood cell in the meat, but it gets out most of it. So if the JWs are so scared of blood, they definitely should stick to kosher. There is no logic in the JW-religion on this. I remember my JW-grandmother was scared of eggs, because they might have a drop of blood in them. So she always cracked the egg open on a plate first, before she used it in cooking, to make sure that there was no red in it. The hysteria on blood in food was just crazy in the 70s and 80s. I remember believing I had commited a horrible sin because I had eaten a blood orange (oranges that are red inside, they are called "blood oranges"). Well, I was just a kid. Mom read on the package of every sausage in the store, before she bought anything.

The thing is: It is not allowed to eat meat with "blood products" in it. In my country, blood is used in many meat products, it`s tradition. We even have something called "blood pudding". So, JWs are supposed to stay away from these, but they are allowed to eat meat that is NOT butchered kosher.

It doesn`t make any sense.

• jstalin
    jstalin

What about a steak that is less than well-done? If I eat a medium or medium-rare steak, usually there's some blood in there. Are JWs not allowed to eat steak unless it's well done? Is cooked blood OK?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Is cooked blood OK

Which begs the question as to what should happen with black or blood pudding; thats cooked and congealed blood...whats the difference?

Perhaps this should be in the questions from readers...instead of that other crap they keep dreaming up.

DB74

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Zagor, as an outsider, a never been JW, the whole blood thing was the first and most obviously nonsensical issue.

I couldn't believe someone would eat blood and yet be willing to die for lack of a blood transfusion.

If you heat/cook blood, it coagulates. It is still there. But then, when has the Watchtower had any policy to do with blood that made sense.

Their medical policy is criminal and I hope more of the courts see it as such.

• anewme
    anewme

I have a related question: Can kosher Jews accept blood transfusions?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Most seriously, the WT ignores the essential rabbinical principle of pikuach nephesh, which puts "saving a life" above any commandment and is already alluded to in the Gospels -- as if it were specific to Jesus (Mark 3:4; Luke 6:9).

See for instance http://www.jewishgates.com/file.asp?File_ID=511

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

anewme, narkissos is right. A Jewish friend explained that "life" is the big gift from God. It is not to be abused. Not only should you accept a blood transfusion if you need it, you are free to eat non-kosher food if you if that is the only thing available. Orthodox Jewish docotrs or nurses are allowed to work on their Sabbat (Sabbath), if they are needed.

Above all, is a respect for life.

• Scully
    Scully

The WTS, above all else, want obedient, unquestioning followers. They do not give a flying flip about your life, the life of your spouse, the life of your children or parents. What they want, is for you to care more about obedience to the WTS than to care about the life of the people you love, including yourself. It is not about blood transfusions at all. It is about obedience to the WTS.

The Koran doesn't say anything about people strapping explosives to their bodies and driving vehicles full of explosives into crowded buildings. Yet, using the Koran, fanatics influence people to martyr themselves for a "greater cause" in the hope of a "greater reward". This is exactly the same mentality that WTS fosters when it influences JWs to refuse blood transfusions for themselves and for their loved ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit