"Worldy" Event at Assembly Site

by MissBehave 10 Replies latest jw friends

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

So last night I went to an event at the arena where I used to attend assemblies, most notably the four day summer District Convention, many many moons ago.

I have been to a couple concerts there since fading but this one was different because the house lights were up the whole time so it reminded me more of the assemblies. It was weird in a deja vu kind of way and liberating all at the same time. I stood and sang the National Anthem and lightning did not strike me dead. HA!

I was a little disappointed with the concessions though....they served things like beer, hot dogs, popcorn, pretzels. I was really looking forward to a pudding cup and a flat Shasta lemon lime soda.

I'm sure y'all have had a bazillion similar experiences. What's your story?

• DocBob
    DocBob

We used to attend circuit assemblies and district conventions at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. I hadn't been there since my last convention in 1996. A year and a half ago, we returned to that civic center to see Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Tomlin and Casting Crowns and then last year to see Chris Tomlin again with Louie Giglio and Matt Redman. The music was waaaaaay better :-)

• Clam
    Clam

We used to go to assemblies at Twickenham rugby ground in West London. Then I'd go to see rugby matches there and still sometimes do. There's a slight difference in atmosphere when the Dubs are there as opposed to a rugby audience . Also we always knew after rugby we could go on a really good pub crawl in Richmond, whereas after the Assembly it was drive home and digest the wonderful spiritual food.

• nelly136
    nelly136

Wembley stadium, standing on the grass elbow to elbow drinking beer, to the Rolling Stones and Cheryl Crowe.

The best bit of Twickenham used to be the sunday eve pileup down to the little pub on the edge of the river.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    whereas after the Assembly it was drive home and digest the wonderful spiritual food.

Are you sure? We used to bugger off to the pub almost straight afterward...especially after the sunday sessions...you needed a pint after the excessively long concluding prayer.

DB74

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Yeah... The Capitol Center/U.S. Air Arena... To see the Grateful Dead

It was weird in a deja vu kind of way

Yeah! until, err ummm; the acid started to kick in...

and lightning did not strike me dead. HA!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

My wife and daughter saw Black Eyed Peas at the same arena that we had our DCs. The DCs drew around 5,000 people, and parking was always snarled. The Peas drew 14,000, and parking was a breeze - WITH NO PARKING ATTENDANTS. Everyone was very courteous, not like at assemblies.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The last few dcs I went to were at Nottingham Arena, which is also uesd for rock concerts. We were there a few weeks ago to see Oasis, not exactly a spiritual evening lol.

• Clam
    Clam

Diamondblue, no we used to have to drive home afterwards, but we did use the boozers on our Assemblies in the Pontings holiday camp at Camber Sands. We slept in the camp chalets over the weekend so didn't have to worry about drink/driving. I used to to love that venue,LOL.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Saw an awesome U2 gig and a breathtaking Massive Attack gig and a dull but emotional Pearl Jam gig, all within a few months of my last convention. It's lots more fun in the stadium with the lights down...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit