the faithful and discreet slave....... who are they really?

by primitivegenius 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

i was asked.......... since i dont belive what the witlessness do.... who do i consider to be the faithful and discreet slave? now im not ashamed to admit i havent quite figured that out yet, so my reply was, it could be any minister who truely looks out for their congregation.

so my question is this....... what and who do those scriptures represent?

• Frog
    Frog

I just typed this up on another post, didn't see much point in repeating myself :)...

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave who the master has appointed over his domestics? A very ambiguous and vague turn-of-phrase that appears only once in the bible. I put it to you that this is just as stated merely a turn of phrase. There is nothing to back up the WT’s interpretation of this representing a small body of men who have an intense effect on the lives of the WT followers.

The WT also heavily criticises the Catholic Church for it’s putting the Pope between them and their god. I have to ask how it is that this is any different from the WT putting the GB between them and Jehovah? Witnesses are told that they can not reach Jehovah except through them. If they attempt to they are labelled as “apostates”, which means “leaving god”…there is no allowance by them for remaining with god, but not mediated through them.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I refer you here:

• Mary
    Mary
    I was asked.......... since i dont belive what the witlessness do.... who do i consider to be the faithful and discreet slave? now im not ashamed to admit i havent quite figured that out yet,

Actually, if you read the scripture, it doesn't "identify" anyone in particular as a faithful and discreet slave and my own personal opinion is that this "F&DS" is no more real than the illustration of the Prodigal Son. It's simply an illustration that Jesus gave.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

How do you know the scripture pertains to a "they" just because someone wrote it in a book or magazine?

Frannie

• KW13
    KW13

I believe it to be everyone. All of us have the ability to pray and communicate with God to know whats right.

you get a problem when you pray and the answer doesn't agree with the F&D slave.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

O! O! Can I play?

The answer can be found in the CONTEXT can it not? Luke 12:41-48 (KJV)

41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?

42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.

45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

The fact is, though, that Jesus was here speaking of a select group of mortal humans with superhero powers and abilities: that's right, he was speaking about The Fanstastic Four!

The WTB&TS has blinded themselves to the FACT that this is a PARABLE - not a prophecy. It is simply a more poetic wayof saying, "Don't stop doing good things after I die."

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom HIS Lord shall make ruler over his household, to give THEM their portion of meat in due season?

I think that here the term "them" is referring to the Lord's household. But notice where it speaks in reference to the F&DS's Lord, it says "HIS Lord."

43 Blessed is that SERVANT, whom HIS lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make HIM ruler over all that he hath.

"That servant" denotes singularity.....and again "HIS Lord" refers to that servant. Then in verse 44, "will make HIM" also confirms the singular. This is the possible outcome for the F&DS as denoted in these verses.

if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

This denotes a possible outcome should the F&DS become an unfaithful servant.

47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

These verses denote outcomes for two other servants, one knowing and not doing, the other, one who didn't know.

That's the way it appears, IMO. There appear to be 3 servants depicted.

Frannie (of the "ignore this post if that's what you were saying" class)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

so my question is this....... what and who do those scriptures represent?

primitivegenius....In the following thread, I demonstrated who the F&DS character in the parable is based on. It's a very famous person in the OT. The point of the parable is that Christians (especially those with pastoral responsibilities, cf. John 21:16-17) should imitate his example:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/67457/1.ashx

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I've met Losch, Sydlik, Shroeder, and even old man Henshel but only Sydlik looked like he had half a brain. Losch freaked me the hell out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit