Bible stories swept under the carpet

by jgnat 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, thinker, those are the BEST. You make my point very well. Thank you.

• unique1
    unique1

The account of Lot was the one that even as a youngun bothered me. Why was this copasetic?

Genesis 19: 30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father."

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and lay with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, "Last night I lay with my father. Let's get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and lie with him so we can preserve our family line through our father." 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went and lay with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab [ g ] ; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi [ h ] ; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

THAT IS JUST F'd UP!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, unique1. I'm not so sure, though the bible recorded the incident, that it was at all copacetic.

The WTBTS ties themselves in knots justifying the bad behavior of the "saints" because they so badly want the bible to make sense. They want the bible to be as consistent as a fairy tale where the saints remain saintly (Snow White) and the evil remain well, evilly (Evil Step Mother). Lot is by no way a strong character in the bible. He always was a greedy greedy guts, and didn't have the sense to leave that damned town sooner. He reminds me of some of my in-laws.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

The Book "Susan and the Elders" (in the Catholic bible) is an excellent read and would never make it into a Watchtower bible. It tells of two elders that lay in wait for Susan to bath in her courtyard.

From memory; Susan was raped, the Elders later lied but were caught out and executed.

unclebruce

My favorite "hidden" passage is currently hiding from me - somewhere in Lamentations I think - where it describes an Israelite soldier bursting into a house, cutting open a pregnant womans stomach, removing the baby and bashing its head against the wall (Bosnian style).

Something else overlooked is Lot's (rape) sex with his daughters just after the fall of Sodom and Gomorah.

• toreador
    toreador

Interesting stuff. I always thought about Lot offering his daughters.

• Scully
    Scully

And then there is the story in 1Samuel 24, of David playing a practical joke on Saul, by cutting off the skirt of Saul's sleeveless coat while Saul was busy taking a dump in the cave where David was in hiding from Saul who was seeking to kill him. That was always good for a laugh when I was a teenager.

Rbi8 1 Samuel 24:1-7 ***

And it came about that, as soon as Saul returned from following the Phi·lis´tines, they came reporting to him, saying: "Look! David is in the wilderness of En-ge´di."

And Saul proceeded to take three thousand chosen men out of all Israel and to go looking for David and his men upon the bare rocks of the mountain goats. 3 At length he came to the stone sheepfolds along the road, where a cave was. So Saul came in to ease nature, while David and his men were in the parts of the cave farthest back, sitting down. 4 And David’s men began to say to him: "Here is the day on which Jehovah does say to you, ‘Look! I am giving your enemy into your hand, and you must do to him just as it may seem good in your eyes.’" So David rose up and quietly cut off the skirt of the sleeveless coat that belonged to Saul. 5 But it came about afterward that David’s heart kept striking him for the reason that he had cut off the skirt [of the sleeveless coat] that belonged to Saul. 6 Hence he said to his men: "It is unthinkable, on my part, from Jehovah’s standpoint, that I should do this thing to my lord, the anointed of Jehovah, by thrusting out my hand against him, for he is the anointed of Jehovah." 7 Accordingly David dispersed his men with these words, and he did not allow them to rise up against Saul. As for Saul, he rose up from the cave and kept going on his way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit