Circuit Overseers Are On a Pledge Drive

by Severus 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Did they mention that even these poor countries get loans from the WTS for the Kingdom Halls? Roger Montgomery, was recently a Kingdom Construction Servant overseeing many construction projects in Africa.

And did they mention how in the US these loans are tendered at "low interest rates"? A Scripture comes to mind...what is it? On the tip of my fingers....

Ah yes! Of course!

Leviticus 25:35-38—“‘And in case your brother grows poor and so he is financially weak alongside you, you must also sustain him. As an alien resident and a settler, he must keep alive with you. 36 Do not take interest and usury from him, but you must be in fear of your God; and your brother must keep alive with you. 37 You must not give him your money on interest, and you must not give your food out on usury. 38 I am Jehovah YOUR God, who brought YOU out of the land of Egypt to give YOU the land of Ca´naan, to prove myself YOUR God.

But, that was just the Mosaic Law. It isn't like Jesus said it.

Matthew 5:39-42—However, I say to YOU: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him. 40 And if a person wants to go to court with you and get possession of your inner garment, let your outer garment also go to him; 41 and if someone under authority impresses you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one asking you, and do not turn away from one that wants to borrow from you [without interest].
    Luke 6:32-36—“And if YOU love those loving YOU, of what credit is it to YOU? For even the sinners love those loving them. 33 And if YOU do good to those doing good to YOU, really of what credit is it to YOU? Even the sinners do the same. 34 Also, if YOU lend [without interest] to those from whom YOU hope to receive, of what credit is it to YOU? Even sinners lend [without interest] to sinners that they may get back as much. 35 To the contrary, continue to love YOUR enemies and to do good and to lend [without interest], not hoping for anything back; and YOUR reward will be great, and YOU will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind toward the unthankful and wicked. 36 Continue becoming merciful, just as YOUR Father is merciful.

But, that was just Jesus. It isn't like the Governing Body said it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Our cong. 3 months ago coffed up $$$$ to buy the CO a video player and all for this purpose

• LDH
    LDH

El Kabong, If you pledge at the $1,000 level you get an Electronic Radio Biola!

Peg,

A $75.000 remodel wouldn't add a damn penny to the WBTS Real Estate holdings. Imagine building 3,000 'modest' KH's in lands that are growing rapidly. Real Estate is all about one thing. Location, Location, and Location.

I wouldn't mind having worldwide holdings.

Lisa

40 Acres, no mule, thanks Class

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Just a few thoughts and I could be wrong here: I was in the Stanley Theater Circuit. First, it's in Jersey City on the main drag, Kennedy Boulevard. Secondly, we all sent people in shifts to guard it and work on it. Pioneers could go there full-time and fulfill their 90 hours (at the time) requirement. It took 2 to 4 years to finish. I had heard that the WT paid only a few million for it. When they scraped paint off some walls and doors, pure copper and other valuable metals and quartz, etc., was found. That large chandelier hanging in the center of the main lobby cost $100,000 either new or was now worth that much after restoration. (I think they were offered that much for it but of course turned it down.) Tours are conducted daily by a live-in (special built in apartment) brother who "oversees" things. How about that for free room and board?

It's set up like Venice. The walls, especially high up, look like houses along the canal. The stage has an arch over it like a bridge. All the seats make you feel like you are in the water in a gondola. The main floor seats 3,000 and the balcony seats 1,500. I couldn't believe it but I was a "special attendant". I guarded the meeting of the GB and older elders who met during lunch. They brought me my lunch (special one) early so I didn't have to wait in line. It was free. My wife worked as an RN in the medical suite. The domed ceiling is 80 feet above the seats and when the lights are turned down, there is a "star show" with clouds and that Kingdom Song (I think it's number 7, I threw away my book) with the little tinkling music. Quite cute. Everyone cries and claps. (Paradise right above, coming soon to a theater near you.) LOL

Their excuse for obtaining this palace, and it IS a palace, is the need to have a large hall near the GB and Bethel. It was right across the river from Manhattan and 20 minutes from Bethel by train. The PATH train station was next door. They later bought property next door and built a cafeteria, on two floors. Now they eat in their seats. My point? Why spend all that time, money and labor? I don't know. But why even more spend it in Africa? In ten years or less, the JW's there will only get the Internet, learn the real Truth, and quit going anyway. What will they do with the empty halls? I bet they sell them at a huge profit. Any thoughts? Thank you.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Reminds me of this thread !!!BREAKING NEWS!!!

• sandy
    sandy

"I can remember complaints that local congregations were remodeling KHs that were more than adequate while people in Africa sat on logs and had meetings in grass huts."

Why did we need a new KH when the old one was perfectly fine? After all armageddon was just around the corner.

• fri
    fri

I dont know if this was a great idea (printing Watchtower money) This might give the jokers an idea to print and use watchtower money amongst the witnesses. he he he

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Raising money ideas:

Bingo at the hall

Kingdom Stripathon

NWT Rolling Paper Factories-it works I know

Field Service Auto Racing

Door TO Door hooking

Child Beating contests

Add Centerfold to Watchtower-Increase price (no staples)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Re the Stanley Theatre, from Danny Hazard's link

Stage shows at the theater reflected the popular culture of the times with entertainers that ranged from the Three Stooges and Jimmy Durante to Tony Bennett, Janis Joplin, Dolly Parton, and The Grateful Dead

Now there's a thought to dwell on during a boring talk. On that very stage ... Oh if only I were here then rather than now (sigh)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

"Be sure to attend next week's service meeting, where we will dispense with the regular fake housholder tedium to present this year's contribution infomercial: 'Advances: Your Weekly Krispy Kreme Fund Could Buy Three Trestle Chairs'"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit