Is Jehovah a God of love?

by SickofLies 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

"O you lovers of Jehovah, hate what is bad." (Psalm 97:10)

26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own soul, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

"Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies."—Psalm 139:21, 22.

"I have hated the congregation of evildoers, and with the wicked ones I do not sit." (Psalm 26:5)

16 There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: 17 lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, 18 a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, 19 a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers. ... 13 The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad. Self-exaltation and pride and the bad way and the perverse mouth I have hated. (Proverbs 6:16-19; 8:13)

Why did God create evil? Does God need to hate? Is God only able to show love if he has something to hate?

• gringojj
    gringojj

Hitler would have had to kill alot more people to get up to gods level.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Yes, He is A God of Love! This is not to be confused with the idea of some sappy feeling. God love us but he will not forever tolerate those who refuse to to walk by His righteous standards. God's standards are designed to benefit those who practice them and if everyone practiced them then all of our problems would be solved. As far as God executing people that is really an act of love for those of mankind who will practive what is right. Even human governments execute people as punishment for some evil deeds. Also, God did not create evil. God created intelligent creatures wh have freedom of choice. Many of us have chosen to do evil things and we don't need to be blaming God for our own choices. There are a lot of good parents who have raised children who turned out bad. It is the kids who are bad, not the parents.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies
    Also, God did not create evil; God created intelligent creatures wh have freedom of choice. ; Many of us have chosen to do evil things and we don't need to be blaming God for our own choices.

How then could evil posibly arise out of a creator that knows only good? If Satan, who was created perfect, has not tempted Eve, who was created perfect, or if God, who is perfect, had not put the potential of Evil (a concept he apparently knows nothing about) into the garden in the first place, would mankind just end up sinning sooner or later anyway? Doesn't the fact the 2/3 of the angles in heaven have fallen already show that God is incapable of creating creatures that can live up to his standards?

• zeroday
    zeroday

Yea right, the "GOD OF LOVE" prepared to destroy 6 billion people to up hold his sovereignty. Sounds like the creator of all has a little inferority complex.

• gumby
    gumby
    God love us but he will not forever tolerate those who refuse to to walk by His righteous standards.

He doesn't seem to "tolerate" those who DO follow his standards does he? How EXACTLY does he "tolerate" the rightous? How are the rightous treated any different than the wicked? Were the rightous spared in New Orleans apart from the wicked? Were the rightous spared in the Phillipines?

How about the millions of Muslims that have never talked to a christian and they believe in the prophet Mohammed and Jesus as a secondary prophet? Will god not "tolerate" them because they do not accept his son as any lifesaving importance when this belief is ALL they know and believe as strongly as do you?

God made himself known to only one tribe.....the Jews. All the other millions of people he kept quiet with..... and the only time they heard of him was when he was there to kick their ass. Was there not ONE rightous as was Abraham among the pagans? Not one? Abraham was apparently the only rightous one to deserve a promise and the rest of his seed that wasn't born yet gets in on the promise and gifts and the rest of gods kids get to peek through the window of blessings untill god allows in the gentiles after thousands of years.........what a joke of a god.

Gumby

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

"O you lovers of Jehovah, hate what is bad." (Psalm 97:10)

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own soul, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

"Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies."—Psalm 139:21, 22.

"I have hated the congregation of evildoers, and with the wicked ones I do not sit." (Psalm 26:5)

There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: 17 lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, 18 a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, 19 a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers. ... 13 The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad. Self-exaltation and pride and the bad way and the perverse mouth I have hated. (Proverbs 6:16-19; 8:13)

Why did God create evil? Does God need to hate? Is God only able to show love if he has something to hate?

God gave us free will. Cain klilled Abel. God tried to reason with him earlier, but Cain didn't listen and he kill his brother anyway. God was upset about it. Did create evil? Enough said!!!

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

He doesn't seem to "tolerate" those who DO follow his standards does he? How EXACTLY does he "tolerate" the rightous? How are the rightous treated any different than the wicked? Were the rightous spared in New Orleans apart from the wicked? Were the rightous spared in the Phillipines?

George Bush was warned and he failed to act upon the warning. He rejected building stronger levies because it throught it would cost too much. He tried to put a price on human life and miscalculated! Enough said!!!!!!!!

How about the millions of Muslims that have never talked to a christian and they believe in the prophet Mohammed and Jesus as a secondary prophet? Will god not "tolerate" them because they do not accept his son as any lifesaving importance when this belief is ALL they know and believe as strongly as do you?

Muslims do not tolerate Christians in the middle east. If you try preach the "good news" to them, they will chop off your head and send the "bad news" to your closest living relative. As a matter of fact, they will chop your head off because you are an American infidel Enough said!!!!!!!!

God made himself known to only one tribe.....the Jews. All the other millions of people he kept quiet with..... and the only time they heard of him was when he was there to kick their ass. Was there not ONE rightous as was Abraham among the pagans? Not one? Abraham was apparently the only rightous one to deserve a promise and the rest of his seed that wasn't born yet gets in on the promise and gifts and the rest of gods kids get to peek through the window of blessings untill god allows in the gentiles after thousands of years.........what a joke of a god.

God made himself known to everyone. God had prophets outside of Israel and any person could come and live in Israel as an alien resident as long that person accepted the laws as given by Moses. Everyone including the Israelites disobeyed God!

Have you ever read the book of numbers? Balaam was a prophet of God who wasn't an Israelite. The Kings of the area knew of him! What kept them from worshipping God? Balak king of Moab not only once, but 3 times summoned Balaam to curse Israel inspite of Balaam telling him that the Israelites were blessed servants God. Notice that Balak did not care! Balaam even later tried to trick all of the Israelites in to sinning so that the anger of God could blaze against them so that God would remove his blessings. Balaam did this for money. Trust me. God had non Israelite prophets and he sent them to warn the gentile nations of their wickedness and the consequences, but they did not listen! God is not partial!

Gumby

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    How then could evil posibly arise out of a creator that knows only good? If Satan, who was created perfect, has not tempted Eve, who was created perfect, or if God, who is perfect, had not put the potential of Evil (a concept he apparently knows nothing about) into the garden in the first place, would mankind just end up sinning sooner or later anyway?

These are interesting philosophical questions, and what got me interested in philosophy in the first place. The question I asked myself, was not so much about Adam and Eve, but Satan. How could Lucifer choose evil? Isn`t he (Satan) the source of all evil? Nope, he couldn`t be, because he chose to rebel against God. The angels have to also have been created with free will (although I don`t think the Bible mentions this), because otherwise, Lucifer could not have rebelled against God. The alternative would have to be that God created Lucifer with evil in him, and that would mean that God created evil, and that would not make him a "god of love". So God must have created the angels with free will, and then Lucifer chose evil. This means that evil, evil as an alternative, existed alongside with the existence of God since "the beginning of time". That is, God is not the only "thing" that has existed for all eternity. The concept of evil has existed for all eternity too (if rebellion/disobeyance against God must be interpreted as evil, and I think it has to). It could not have arisen at some "point in time" (that is, after God), because that would mean that God created it (he created everything that is). But what does this mean, then? It means that God is not omnipotent! There is something, a dark side, that exists and has existed alongside God all along, and Lucifer/Satan chose this dark side. I have asked JWs in my family about this. They didn`t know how to answer. I doubt they even understood the question/argument. Well, they`re not very bright, I come from a long line of dumb people.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Of course he's a god of love. He uses she-bears to slaughter 42 children. Now, tell me, if that's not a god of love, what is?

2 Kings:

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit