Re-instatement - How long ex - elders?

by CaptK 16 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

IP-SEC is right. The latest is that the elders of both the hall you are applying to and the one you are disfellowshipped from have a great say in the reinstatement time period. The level of repentance and the level of sin and how long you were out of the org is all taken into consideration.

I got this info from my ex-husband who was an elder. The brothers were cautioned not to reinstate ones too quickly because so many were returning for the sole reason to reunite with their loved ones.

He added that they might require a reinstatement period of one year or more.

• Severus
    Severus

OD Book pages 156-157

REINSTATEMENT

A disfellowshipped person may be reinstated when he gives clear evidence of repentance, demonstrating over a reasonable period of time that he has abandoned his sinful course and is desirous of having a good relationship with Jehovah and His organization. The elders are careful to allow sufficient time, perhaps many months, a year, or even longer, for the disfellowshipped person to prove that his repentance is genuine. When the body of elders receives a written plea for reinstatement, the judicial committee that disfellowshipped the person should, if possible, be the committee that speaks with the individual. The committee will evaluate the evidence of works of godly repentance on his part and decide whether to reinstate him at that time or not.

If the person requesting reinstatement was disfellowshipped by another congregation, a local judicial committee may meet with the person and consider the plea. Thereafter, the local judicial committee will communicate with the body of elders of the congregation that disfellowshipped the individual, giving them its recommendation. The involved committees will work together in unity to ensure that all the facts are gathered and a just decision is made. However, the decision to reinstate is made by the original judicial committee of the congregation that took the disfellowshipping action. If some members of the original committee are no longer in the congregation or qualified to serve, other elders from the original congregation can be chosen to replace them.

When the judicial committee is convinced that the disfellowshipped person is genuinely repentant and should be reinstated, an announcement of the reinstatement is made in the congregation where the individual was disfellowshipped. If the person is now in another congregation, the announcement will be made there as well. It should simply state: "[Name of person] is reinstated as one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

• justicehope
    justicehope

Just continue to send a brief note every four weeks saying you would like to be reinstated. This continues to put the onious on them to respond. This is crude but true.

• LDH
    LDH
    Hi CaptK, What would they have to do for you to get the feeling they don't WANT you back?

*snort*

CapK, it only took me four months when I was 21. It was four of the worst months of my life.

Man does not have the authority to grant any approval of your relationship with God. (If you believe).

Please tell me why you WANT to go back?

Lisa

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

I was disfellowshipped for about three years. You have to play your cards right. Remember: There is no holy spirit on these dudes. (regardless of whether or not there is any holy ghost anywhere else - ask scooby doo, maybe he knows) I did a bunch of "naughty" things for those three years, then I went to about 5 meetings, sneaking out early and such, wrote a big long "repentant" letter telling them of my naughty stuff and how I -ahem- overcame them. How I used to have a "bad attitude" and how I have overcome it, and so on. They met with me two weeks later, reinstated me one week after that. Now, I am NOT a believer, and I wasn't at the time I was reinstated, but I can be a convincing sob. My cousin on the other hand, a real believer, disfellowshipped for loose conduct, extremely repentant, never missed a meeting, prayed all the time...took him a year of constant letter writing/ass kissing, etc. It very much depends on the elders personal feelings and your ability to bullshit. what is your rush anyway?

• blondie
    blondie

There are no "rules" just guidelines. Each elder and each elder body vary greatly in how they apply these.

I have seen a pedophile reinstated in 8 months and an adulterous elder's wife not allowed to be reinstated for 8 years. I have found when business, money, revenge, a woman acting out of her place are involved it can speed up or slow down the process. I know of one powerful elder that said that a certain DF'd JW would not be reinstated as long as he was alive...and that is what happened. He died and they reinstated that person.

The best thing to do is to carefully follow all the guidelines. If they give you any verbal clues as to what they expect do it.

But in the long run, why do you want to be reinstated? Will you be able to stay out of "trouble"?

Blondie

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    I have seen a pedophile reinstated in 8 months and an adulterous elder's wife not allowed to be reinstated for 8 years. I have found when business, money, revenge, a woman acting out of her place are involved it can speed up or slow down the process. I know of one powerful elder that said that a certain DF'd JW would not be reinstated as long as he was alive...and that is what happened. He died and they reinstated that person.

my blood boiled briefly. Can't let my disgust with this evil cult win!

A friend was d'd for three years - every month he wrote a tear-jerking letter re his repentance, but they just watched him suffer until they were done with him, like a cat with a mouse. The poor guy finally made it back in and is wasting his life away, not even aware that there is happiness out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit