Clipless pedals, anyone?

by onintwo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    Spoken like a true biker.........don't hurt the bike!

Yep. I cut my ankle on something (right on achilles) took forever to heal...who cares about that?

IMO clipless pedals are easier than toe straps/baskets whatever you want to call those pain in the ass things.

• onintwo
    onintwo

Ok, someone ask about the bike. Went out and got the '05 LeMond Croix De Fer. Bontrager wheel assembly, tires, etc. Some Shimano 105, some Ultegra. 55cm. steel frame. Carbon forks, very cushy. Nice ride.

I tried out the Specialized, Felt, and others. This one just fit me the best! Also recently bought the new Giant trainer for it. Go! Go! Spin! Spin! Watch TV until the weather's a little better! Got the computer on tonite. Now for a nice tire pump, tool kit, and water bottle. Hey, the bike's getting heavier! and heavier. First organized ride coming up Mar. 18th. I'll try not to fall at the first stop light.

Onintwo

• onintwo
    onintwo

Yeah, roads are stressful. How about the guy coming along in the little Toyota pick-up...except he forgets he pulling a 21foot SeaRay boat and trailer! I spot him in my helmet/mirror, I'm hugging the fog line, but he brushes me and I panic. Isn't that fun?

And that's not even mentioning all the guys who "own the road", ("f**k the bikes", etc.) You know the attitude guys.

Ride well,

Onintwo

• Highlander
    Highlander

Clipless is great! Although I agree,, practice before you ride with them. First time I just hopped on and hit the road. I totally hit the pavement at the first stoplight.

Everyone in the cars next to me and across from me were laughing. It was great!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i'm a bike courier, and i only go in for grippy pedals. but yes, i have done it, fallen right over back in the clipless days. but i have fallen for dumber reasons. like last night, after work, i went to the pub with a pal. and five pints later, i went out and got on my bike to ride home and i was showing off to my buddy, and for no reason other than i was drunk, i slammed right onto the pavement. dry pavement. lol. i think i was still holding both handle bars with both feet on the pedals when i hit. ha ha! nothing like coming out of a pub to find a guy sprawled on the sidewalk with his bike laughing maniacally and saying: "fuck! and on dry pavement!", "gosh, and you're not even wearing a helmet.", "ahh! helmets are for pussies!! i learned how to fall when i was 6."

it's interesting. i don't crash when i smoke a bowl. i ride a lot freaking slower, that's for sure. but i never crash, ha ha. it's like flying when you're high and riding. i can't even feel the strain in my legs. like riding a silent motor cycle through traffic. but i did lose my bike for about 30 minutes today. i forgot where i put it. and i spent about 20 minutes with the mall security before i remembered that i had left it on the other side of the mall, close to the food court, because of munchies. doh!!

ts (of the 'wobbling home on the cobblestone' class)

• AntiPode
    AntiPode
    ts (of the 'wobbling home on the cobblestone' class)

Even experienced cyclist will fall sometimes when clipped in. I grew up using toe clips and straps, and got used to loosening the left side when at a stop, just in case I had to put my foot down. With clipless pedals, you just twist your foot out, but I've tipped over at a standstill as recently as a couple years ago, with what, over 25 years experience on a racing bike.

So I guess you can count on not falling over 99.9% of the time once you get used to them.

Funny thing about ts's post: I completed my first century when I was 16, and racers I admired gathered around in a circle after finishing and smoked a joint. I guess the high after riding that far is pretty "high". Of course, that was in the 70's also.

So stick with the clipless pedals, you'll find it's almost intuitive getting out of 'em.

S

• 4JWY
    4JWY
    So stick with the clipless pedals, you'll find it's almost intuitive getting out of 'em.

Antipode,

Intuitive my ass!

but.......my husband keeps on hoping. He's changed my pedals and my shoes several times trying to make it become "intuitive."

Let's see....at this moment, now I have $100 flat pedals (old school), no clips, straps, nothing and I'm ready to step into regular 'ole tennis shoes to go along with them. I'm tired of landing on my knees even when I'm 'practicing' in the parking lot. It took him a long time to learn that my falling, just keeps me off the seat for many more months each time.

I'm looking forward to Happy Riding soon.....

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ha ha, ya, grippies vs. clippies, i go grippies.

damn, both those things sound like STDs. hehe

ts

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Ok, someone ask about the bike. Went out and got the '05 LeMond Croix De Fer. Bontrager wheel assembly, tires, etc. Some Shimano 105, some Ultegra. 55cm. steel frame. Carbon forks, very cushy. Nice ride.

Sweet! May you have many years of enjoyment ahead of you.

Funny thing about ts's post: I completed my first century when I was 16, and racers I admired gathered around in a circle after finishing and smoked a joint. I guess the high after riding that far is pretty "high". Of course, that was in the 70's also.

Aw ya the 70's......I'm glad that for this old gal the only "high" is the finish line!

Happy trails!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit