Changes to the Shunning Practice ? We have just been spoken to !

by twinkletoes 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

We went to lunch at our local cafe on Saturday, and there were two families - still JWs, also dining there, (in different parts of the cafe). We expected the usual shunning treatment, but surprisingly they initiated the "hellos and How are you" and seemed genuinely pleased to see us (we have been out of the Org for over 3 yrs now and we are always shunned whenever we see former JW friends) It was such a surprise to us and we couldn't help wondering if the Governing Body have issued "new light" on the treatment of disassociated ones. Especially as these two families have completely avoided us for a long time, even though we personally wrote to them to explain our reasons for leaving (UN involvement etc+)

Has anyone else has noticed similar behaviour,?

Perhaps the Org. is worried about "Inciting religious hatred" and the legal effects that it could have on them and their finances.

Twinkletoes

• gumby
    gumby

No changes in the shunning policies yet. Just alot of "apathy" amoung publishers who seem to be more independant than in past years and apply the rules when they see fit.

Gumby

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Thanks Gumby,

We haven't got any spies in the camp, and so we don't hear much about things that may be changing with the witnesses. I'm really glad to hear that there is apathy - let's hope many will start to think for themselves. The shunning policy is so far removed from what Christianity should really be, in fact we feel that it is an evil policy. We would have loved to have been able to speak for a longer period with these ones, but you just know that in many instances they will turn a deaf ear.

Twink

• prophecor
    prophecor

Could it be that they're on their way out of the bOrg as well?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually a recent WT study article did recommend that JWs reach out to inactive JWs more. So I would see a change there.

• undercover
    undercover
    Just alot of "apathy" amoung publishers who seem to be more independant than in past years and apply the rules when they see fit.

Yep...it seems the newer generation dubbers are making their own decisions on who they'll shun and who they won't in addition to making their own decisions on entertainment, the Internet, associations outside the hall.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Blondie

That does sound interesting, have you got the literature with the article, I would be really interested to see that.

It would be good to think that perhaps they are on their way out of the Borg too. They are really nice people but just like us, have been well and truly brainwashed.

Twink

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    No changes in the shunning policies yet. Just alot of "apathy" amoung publishers who seem to be more independant than in past years and apply the rules when they see fit.

I agree.

This is why the WTS is releasing so many Watchtower study articles demanding obedience to the WTS.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Actually a recent WT study article did recommend that JWs reach out to inactive JWs more. So I would see a change there.

blondie, do you have a scan of this available? i'm interested in reading this article. Thanks!!! luv, jojo

• garybuss
    garybuss

Under the bold heading "Do No Be Overreached By The Devil", The Watchtower Jan. 15, 2006, p. 29, study article rebuked the Jehovah's Witness elders for not forgiving repentant wrongdoers, making the repentant ones overly sad and giving up "entirely". The Watchtower called the elders cruel, harsh, and merciless and the elders "bear some responsibility for this before Jehovah".

To me, it seems rare for the Society to rebuke the elders in the pages of the Watchtower magazine in a study article, but that's what was JUST done and the rebuke was about shunning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit