Getting Busted w/ Love Letters

by OpenFireGlass 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowman
    Nowman

I enjoy this subject. Always was boy crazy growing up...my worst experience...went to school with some JW kids, always had a secret boyfriend at school, I got caught kissing him on the cheek, one the JW boys saw me and told his dad who was an elder...I was a Freshman at the time...Got home, my mom cut 7 inches off my hair to give me some humility, then they beat me with a paddle, then I was punched, kicked, etc. After my disipline, I was asked to come out of my room and tell them that I loved them. I couldn't do it so I was then sent back to my room until I told them I loved them. I do not remember if I ever did...Anyway, went to school and everyone knew something bad had happened to me, even the counselors, they noticed bruises on my fingers (from blocking the paddle), I cried the whole day at school and the teaches let me stay at school, they knew I did not want to go home...A few weeks later, I was taken out of Highschool and home schooled...The craziest thing happened a few months after this situation...

The boy who told on me, murdered his parents...Raped him mom after he killed her...Still in jail. When my parents and I were at the memorial, one of the witnesses that I knew (she was a mom with three children), she approached me and said "Now, don't you go and do something like that"...I couldn't believe it, I was nothing like that kid, but maybe she knew how my parents were and thought I would snap or something...

Anyway, sad story, but I graduated early...one small other story...I was 17 and there was a 32 year old that expressed interest, I thought I was so in love...He actually approached my parents and told them, I will put her in an apartment, then we will eventually get married (everyone got married so young in my area) etc. The next day, my parents put the house up for sale and we moved 60 miles north. The congrgation had a goodbye party for us, and everyone knew why we were leaving...it was such a scandal. My mom's friends treated me like crap because they were jealous that he wanted to do this for me, and he was not after them...how crazy this was...

Anyway, when I was 18, I escaped...been out now since 1992.

Nikki

• LDH
    LDH
    Got home, my mom cut 7 inches off my hair to give me some humility, then they beat me with a paddle, then I was punched, kicked, etc.

This is deep.

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

LOL...thanks Lisa.

I never got busted with love letters, though a few led me to my most embarassing jw kid moments. In one case I was in a little back and forth with a girl in jr. high. Anyway, this back and forth gave me a little confidence so that I eventually for some reason became temporarily insane (forgot I had jw parents) and gave her my number when she asked for it. I told her the exact time to call (so that I could beat my mom to the phone, as she was the one with the flaming sword protecting the garden). Looking back, I don't know how I expected to carry on a conversation from that point. I guess I considered having a phone an accomplishment.

Anyway now the embarrassing part. Moms answers the phone, and the next words I here are "we're Jehovah's Witnesses and XXXX does not receive phone calls from girls who are not, and you should know that he is in no position to support a girlfriend or a wife".

The words are still ringing in my ears to this day.

Axel

• LDH
    LDH
    Moms answers the phone, and the next words I here are "we're Jehovah's Witnesses and ;XXXX does not receive phone calls from girls who are not, and you should know that he is in no position to support a girlfriend or a wife".

Mwa-ha-ha.

Reminds me of the ONE time I got a call from a 'worldly' girl in 7th grade, Cathy Calemari (sp) who was distraught because she and her boyfriend had broken up. I tried to give sage advice, but unfortunately my father was listening on the other line and I was forced to call back and read her some chapters from the Youth! book, offer biblical counsel and a free home bible study.

She never spoke to me again.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Moms answers the phone, and the next words I here are "we're Jehovah's Witnesses and ;XXXX does not receive phone calls from girls who are not, and you should know that he is in no position to support a girlfriend or a wife".

Reminds me of the ONE time I got a call from a 'worldly' girl in 7th grade, Cathy Calemari (sp) who was distraught because she and her boyfriend had broken up. I tried to give sage advice, but unfortunately my father was listening on the other line and I was forced to call back and read her some chapters from the Youth! book, offer biblical counsel and a free home bible study.

OMG, these make me cringe just reading them. But I can't help but giggle too. I'm sorry. LOL! I'm so sorry.

*stifling a giggle*

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I'm sorry about the beating and the hair getting cut. These people are lunatics. You might have not known exactly what to make of it, but legally and morally, it was child abuse to do that to you. Child services should have been called by the school and your parents arrested and committed to a mental hospital. If I hear of one more JW child who has been mistreated (my daughter was raped at the age of nine until 13) I'm going to lose my famous Sicilian temper and take the father outside. And he's not coming back in.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    "we're Jehovah's Witnesses and XXXX does not receive phone calls from girls who are not, and you should know that he is in no position to support a girlfriend or a wife".

Oh my Gawd. You poor thing. That is hilarious! I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh. That really had to have sucked. But it is hilarious. But it must have sucked.

Did you you quit school after that? LOL!

I remember every time my parents found out I liked someone they would say, "Are you ready to get married?!" I was 13! Of course I wasn't ready to get married, AND of course I had a crush on someone, I was 13!!! DUH!

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Yep! It sucked big time.

And yes, JW girls got the same line just adjusted a little...."how old are you...(waits for response)...well you should know XXXX cannot have girlfriends because he's not ready for marraige."

Yeah, it was rough. But it helps knowing that I wasn't the only one who went through this craziness.

Axel

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I have to tell a story on myself....There was a Witless girl that loved my son and started following him around at the assembly...kind of like STALKING! Every time that I came up she would take off almost running...by the end of the day I was tired of her silliness and finally I told her "Why don't you go home and take a COLD shower?" Needless to say my son was mortified!!! In all honesty I wouldn't have minded if she would have hung around talking...she was just weird. My son finally forgave me later when he realized what an idiot she was!

Swalker

• 30girl
    30girl

I can't remember how many times I was "corrected" for either receiving unsolicited love letters or for corresponding with boys with letters. The funniest thing I ever did was at an assembly -- I was reading a note from someone (a boy! OMG!) and my mom saw me (eeek) so she gave me the nod, ya know, follow me...so, I quickly slipped the note through a pocket of my skirt that had a slit where I could reach my panties, yep, I'm not proud of it but, I hid it in my panties. When we got into the bathroom and went into a stall and she questioned me about it, I denied having a note. I was panicking but I didn't get the strip search, amen.

I sat through a judicial committee meeting where my mother kicked the legs of my chair every time I didn't answer the brothers in a manner she felt was quick enough or appropriate. I guess I should mention that as a group of rebels we were being questioned for inconsistencies in a story (that was being repeated by 6 teenagers in two different Kingdom Halls to two sets of elders) about loose conduct -- kissing. Since no one could really remember all the details and some of the details were embellished (by one of my friends 9 year old sister -- gee, thanks) we were all privately reproved, I think the boys got public reproof, heck, I can't remember now -- I was 14.

We had bookstudy at our house so if the phone ever rang on a Tuesday night, everyone would look at me, cuz, telemarketers were not calling back in those days and all our friends were in our bookstudy so natually, it had to be for me! My mom would answer the phone and tell whatever boy had decided to call that "I was not allowed to talk to boys." I eventually tried to run away from home with my worldly boyfriend. That didn't work. For punishment, my parents took away my make up and hairspray and curling iron. That was the kiss of death because, hey, in the early 90's, we all had big hair.

This story has a happy ending. 30 and out. 30 years, enough crazy for me & my family. My husband and I are changing our lives and we're not putting our kids through that type of isolation from society.

I wonder what ever happened to those guys? God, we used to hide letters inside of pens and then give each other the pens at the Hall to pass on to each other. It's amazing how much you can write on a very small piece of paper and roll it around the insides of a bic.

I remember one C.O. in particular that encouraged listening in on your childrens phone conversations, going through all of their things and reading all of their personal thoughts, diaries, etc. Funny, he didn't have any kids...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit