A long overdue statement

by truthsetsonefree 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's interesting to see where people draw their own personal lines. I don't tend to judge people in that, though if they impose those views I generally have something to say about it.

There's no biblical prohibition against donating blood. It's taking the alleged "principle" of accepting transfusions to a further degree, IMHO adding to the "law" as did the pharisees. I'd personally place the sanctity of life above an ancient dietary regulation, but that's my call. Besides, just what is the difference between DFing and DAing

There are many voluntary acts in life. There are many clearly identified "sins", biblically speaking. How do you judge which is greater or lesser and which you will or will not partake of? Is it a sin to voluntarily watch an R-rated movie, and even worse to do so with others present?

I was an Elder and on the fast-track to CO. After entertaining ideas of reform for a while I abandoned the idea in favour of sanity. The longer you sear your conscience the harder it is to see things clearly - is that not what they say?

Good luck in your moralising - at some point you will likely regret it deeply. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see you around, and I'd happily share a beer with ya

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

You know I never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing now. So in a few years I may regret this to, though I doubt it will be in favor of WT.

As for that beer, anytime.

• pratt1
    pratt1

I admire your sacrifice in staying in the cult with the hopes of helping others.

I have 2 questions:

1. Are you concerned that because your actions in some cases are opposite of the teachings of the organization that you are a member teaches young minds that it is okay to behave in a way that deceives people about your true intentions or beliefs? Might this not send the message that honesty is not always the besst policy?

2. Are you sure that your dubious behave does not have a profound negative effect on your mental health?

Everyone must make their own choices in life, but sometimes those choices can have a lasting effect on not just our lives but on those we love.

Children especially, learn not only from what we say, but also what we do.

At best your course of action would be very confusing for a young person.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I tell you, that point about kids, I do worry about. Not the kids in the congregation so much but mine. My policy at home is not to hide ANYTHING. Total honesty. That does mean some duplicity towards the Society, but at least toward my family, there is none. For what its worth I no longer feel an obligation to be loyal towards an organization. As someone said earlier it is an unnatural thing. And I think I would go crazy trying. We can show loyalty to people. So people are my focus. And that goes for my fellow elders, my friends and my family.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

whohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three cheers for 'constant legal pounding'!!

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Truth-

What if your kids choose 'the Truth' after you decide to leave?

Haven't you lead them into 'the Truth'?

What if they buy into it, hook/line/sinker, and you lead them there.....?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    I take the point , but I feel that although the WTS strongly advises against participating in "apostate" websites , it isn't a disfellowshipping offence per se. In addition , many posters here are active witnesses , interested persons ; or are "unbelievers" married to JWs - so it isn't an "apostate board" as such.

dozy,

I find this very interesting. Since when is discussing "spiritual things" topics with those who are disfellowshipped or disaasociated something other than "gross wrongdoing" that is certainly a disfellwowshipping offense? This forum is by large majority populated with posters who are "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

I was unaware that the policy had changed in the two months since they formed a committee to accuse me of exactly that. Odd. Please reply, I am fascinated.

Curiously,
    AuldSoul

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Pratt1,
    Your comment "... Might this not send the message that honesty is not always the best policy?".
    We don't want to forget that the Society redefined exactly what honesty is:
    "Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person" ("Insight on the Scriptures", Vol 2 page 244 (1988))
    I know this doesn't surprise any of us since we know firsthand the many lies they've put in print. What did kind of surprise me is that they were brave (or stupid) enough to put the above in print, an act that will probably come up and bite them many times in the future when they try to defend the indefensible in courts of law. The courts of First World countries will have zero tolerance for such a definition, "...who is entitled to know the truth".
    When it comes to honesty around his kids and grandkids I'm confident he knows what to do.
    Fats

• wednesday
    wednesday

TSOF

It is so strong the feelings when someone as you posts. It was so strongly ingrained in us to respect elders and never will I forget the scripture they use for elders, "... as a hiding place in the wind..". In the long time I was a jws I knew several elders,several very well, and two , intimately.

A person can only see horrible things for so long and then you either have to stop viewing them or you really do get what jws call a seared over conscience. You sound like the kind of person that was intended to shepherd the sheep, I just hope you can protect yourself.

weds

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I too was an elder when the penny dropped and I realised, quite suddenly that it was "just not true", and that the WTS was just another man made religion . I knew immediately that I had to come off the role of eldership . I hate hypocrisy as do all right minded people, but for family reasons I wanted to exit and not be d'f.. So there was a period when I carried on, but layed the groundwork for resignation.

I hated it and despised the folly of what i was doing. I could not sing the songs, the words stuck in my throat. As soon as I could, I resigned, then faded as a publisher.. the local body took very little interest in me so I did not have to justify anything to anyone except my wife, who is far more aware and 'on the ball' than the elders.

So i wonder, if

I think knocking on people's doors preaching lies is a waste of my time

Do you falsify a report?

How do you talk to and "help" fellow witnesses without reinforcing their belief in the lies of the New World, and fulfilled Bible Prophecy?

I do accept that everyones strategy is different and I am not judgemental, friend. Better an elder like you than one of the hardliners...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit