BETHEL NEWS: Bethel Elder Arrangement to be dissolved as of Aug. 31, 2006

by Elsewhere 122 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

could care less - No I could not care less

• Cellist
    Cellist

Why are they announcing this so far in advance? Is this normal?

Cellist

• serendipity
    serendipity

WAC, I like your theory. What's the added value of the Bethel elders VS. the cost in time of dealing with the issues? And besides the GB is aging. They don't want to work long hours anymore.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Thanks Elsewhere,

Another piece of the puzzle gets pulled out.

What the hell was the name of that puzzle with the wood blocks that you pull out until it collapses?

Someone made a good picture of one on another thread, He should add "Bethel Elders" to another piece being pulled out.

The Claw

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?
    Becoming a Bethel Elder is a goal that most if not all brothers had in Bethel. MANY got upset because so and so got appointed and not them.

WAC might be right. I have seen it for myself.

The black brothers at bethel complained about not getting certain positions. I'm not going to suggest that race was THE issue, but it certainly was to those being overlooked.

I listened to an ex-missionary, ex-CO, complain about being passed up for an appointment. I was shocked! (I was so naive back then)

• luna2
    luna2

Severus did that, IC. The pic is gone from his post but Danny put it up on his site: http://www.xanga.com/DannyHaszard

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I thought I would add some info for those who may still wonder what Bethel elders really do:
    We are all familiar with the role of an elder in a congregation - well, a Bethel elder not only serves on the body of elders in his outside congregation, but also serves on an elder committee within the department in which he serves. So if there is some problem in the department and it doesn't have something to do with routine work, (i.e. someone needs counsel or discipline) someone on that committee handles the matter. This committee can also function as the judicial committee in case a Bethelite has done something to warrant disfellowshipping or reproval.

So, the role of a Bethel elder is much more than just a second tier of service. It means much more - if they are eliminating this provision within Bethel, it makes me wonder what may come next. I see it as all very odd.

• fairy
    fairy

Does that mean that there will be no elders in the congregations?

If not what happens about those in the hall that they think need to be reproved or spoken to?

What does it actually mean for the congregation?

Who will be in charge and what will take the place of the elder arrangement if its gone?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    What the hell was the name of that puzzle with the wood blocks that you pull out until it collapses?

Jenga!

and the walls came tumbling down.........

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    fairy:

Does that mean that there will be no elders in the congregations?

If not what happens about those in the hall that they think need to be reproved or spoken to?

What does it actually mean for the congregation?

Who will be in charge and what will take the place of the elder arrangement if its gone?

Bethel Elders are a separate entity that only exists in Bethel Homes/Branches (ex: Brooklyn, Patterson, Wallkill, Mexico, Canada, etc). As was stated, their is not scriptural proof for their existance unlike congregation elders.

Congregation Elders stay as is ... for the moment :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit