WTBTS and Taxes in the UK.

by Gill 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Maybe for your congregation it was not a burden, BUT take for example my totally nutsy loyal JW parents' congregation. They had a perfectly good, excellent condition KH. The only problem was that every so many years the lift needed replacing.

They now have a New Quick Build KH, since the CO instructed them to get a new one and a HUGE mortgage to the WTBTS.

My normally docile, quiet JW parents complain that every Thursday meeting there are more 'begging talks' demanding more money. The contributions are never enough, and since the cong is made up of poor, disfunctional and uneducated people, they never will have enough money.

I suggested that they have a National Lottery Syndicate and see if JAH would bless them on a Wednesday or Saturday night to help clear the mortgage, but that didn't go down too well.

Flog the Sheep WTBTS and one day, watch the worm turn! (Did I just mix metaphors there?!)

• Shazard
    Shazard

May Be I am stupid, but USA laws does not apply to UK companies. And I guess WT is registered in UK and you have to see what status this UK firm has!

• TopHat
    TopHat

It is my understanding that the WTS OWNS the KH....so why do the members of the cong have to pay for the building of a new Hall.

I CAN understand they will pay for up-keep.

• dozy
    dozy

Why does the local Scout troop ask for funds to build a new hut which ultimately is owned by the National Scout organisation? Why does the local church run lotteries or sell raffle tickets (another topic here , never mind) to help fund a church which is owned by the Catholic church? No conspiracy here - so why do you think there is one with JWs?

In the UK , ownership of a KH is held by local trustees (of whom I am one , so I know how it works). Should we wish to sell our hall , we would be able to use the funds to purchase another - (indeed , have done in the past). Trusteeship is based on office bearership , rather than linked with any one named person.

Interestingly , I once raised the question with a financial whizz in Bethel as to what would happen to the assets if (much to the delight of apostates) JWs were dissolved. The society (in the UK at least) is "owned" by its members , in the same way as a building society or club and a "windfall" payment would be made to all witnesses following the sale of all assets and repayment of all secured debts , in the same way that payments were made to building society and insurance members during the eighties & nineties.

• Gill
    Gill

dozy - The difference between the Scout Troops, and the WTBTS, is that the WTBTS actually receives donations to 'BUILD' KHs from it's loyal members. It then charges its members for the money to then do the job, that they were given the money for in the first place.

A local Scout Troop will use the money donated.

Also, what do you think the WTBTS does with all its billions of 'spare donated cash'?

It's safely invested in banks and building society. It's invested in the stock market, and it's invested in property. It's quietly making money. It can more than afford to build a KH, infact, hundreds upon hundreds of KHs from all its 'spare cash'. I doubt whether the same can be said for the Scout Troops.

Also, the JWs are a captive audiance who are regularly brow beaten to 'Give, Give, Give'. That doesn't happen to scouts. The Scouts don't fear that they 'won't live forever' if they don't give all they can.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

what does the bible say about charging interest?

• MissBehave
    MissBehave
    Interestingly , I once raised the question with a financial whizz in Bethel as to what would happen to the assets if (much to the delight of apostates) JWs were dissolved. The society (in the UK at least) is "owned" by its members , in the same way as a building society or club and a "windfall" payment would be made to all witnesses following the sale of all assets and repayment of all secured debts , in the same way that payments were made to building society and insurance members during the eighties & nineties.

ROFL! Would anyone really believe this BS?

dozy isn't getting it. The bottom line is the WBTS collects enough money in donations every year to pay cash outright for every single new Kingdom Hall or old Kingdom Hall renovated all over the world. There should never be a need for a "fund raising" when a need arises. Money is donated and said money should be SPENT not LOANED.

• Gill
    Gill

MissBehave - Spot on!

Dozy - With Armageddon coming any time....anytime now......anytime now...........What's the point in the WTBTS investing Billions in real estate, the stock exchange, banks etc?

Surely they should follow the advice that they regularly give to the poor, deceived, badly treated sheep and keep their eye simple and get off the sinking ship....not invest more and more in the sinking ship.

This world is only a 'sinking ship' to the WTBTS when it wants its members to give it more and more money. But what does the WTBTS do? It lends the money back to the even poorer sheep with added interest!

And there is also the difference again between the WTBTS and the earlier mention Scout Troop!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must say that the cases recounted by Honesty and Gill smack more of elder incompetence than greed from Bethel . i have known some horrible financial messes in my time because local elders took a chance on the end coming soon...but of course it hasn't come .

dozy :you seem to be in a position to have some insight here

In the UK , ownership of a KH is held by local trustees (of whom I am one , so I know how it works).

That is certainly the way that it always used to be done, but in recent conversations with the elders at my wife's congo, I am told that the title deeds are nowadays drawn in the Society's name?? Can you explain ? The elder did not seem keen to discuss it further. This is an honest question.

• dozy
    dozy

"That is certainly the way that it always used to be done, but in recent conversations with the elders at my wife's congo, I am told that the title deeds are nowadays drawn in the Society's name?? Can you explain ? The elder did not seem keen to discuss it further. This is an honest question. "

Not in our case - but the titles were drawn up many years ago.

In Scotland there have been some cases recently involving retired Church of Scotland ministers refusing to leave church manses when they retired so that the new minister could live there. In one case in the North East , the old minister actually sold the house & pocketed the proceeds! The cases ended up in court & usually the incumbent stays on - so the legal situation involving church property is a bit untidy - maybe the WTS have tightened up. Can't speak for abroad , though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit