Watchtower can be sued for NOT allowing blood transfusions ???

by run dont walk 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I was watching the news today in Alberta Canada, saw a preview for the 6 o'clock news tonight mountain time Channel 3, there will be a piece about a former JW, father (I Believe it is Lawrence) who's daughter died of leukima, and was not allowed to have blood because of her religion. Apparently the Court has ruled that he can sue the Watchtower for negligence, Hopefully someone can tape this news piece and put in on the net, unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

Go Lawrence !!!!!!!!!

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Yup, Mr. Lawrence Hughes, a former JW, is suing the WTS for the death of his daughter, Bethany - she died of leukemia a couple of years ago after staunchly refusing blood transfusions because, as a devout Jehovah's Witness, she believed that the WTS was right about blood transfusions and that she would be giving up her eternal life by accepting blood.

He's recently been given the all-clear to proceed with his lawsuit and will be claiming damages of $800 000 for the wrongful death of his daughter. Check out this article from the Calgary Sun:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/02/27/1464432-sun.html

I hope this helps bring more attention to the WTS and its insane and murderous restrictions and the damage that they cause to families (Mr. Hughes blames the break up of his marriage on the WTS and the death of his daughter because of the organization's rules) and the fact that people die because the WTS tells them what they can and can't do with their own bodies from a medical standpoint. It's the 21st century, it's time to stop this kind of oppression.

-Becka :)

• kristyann
    kristyann

I should write to my paper again and encourage them to show it. I wrote to them the last time something came out about blood (the new blood directive, or whatever, last month) and the paper never ran the AP article. I am getting a little aggravated. I wrote to a bunch of different editors and so did my boyfriend. I know most people probably don't care about JWs THAT much... but this is a human interest story, too, in a way. Stuff like this always generates A LOT of interest... so I don't see why the paper won't run it. They certainly can't be worried about offending JWs... I think about 2 of them actually read the newspaper. Plus they ran a whole lot of articles exposing Scientology... and I think Scientology is a lot more popular in my area than the Watchtower is.

• lilybird
    lilybird

I'm wondering what "new light" the society will come up with to deal with this situation..Will they change their doctrines in some way to avoid further lawsuits? It will be interesting to see what comes from this lawsuit.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Do you think this will get a lot of public attention? I think it will be nice to actually have peoples' eyes open up about this sort of thing. I hope my mom will see the light.

• kristyann
    kristyann

I hope it gets some public attention. Didn't some little girl in Texas belong to some kind of "Church of Christ" something or other, and her parents didn't want her to get any treatment for her cancer... and that made the news all over. I remember, the parents made a videotape of her saying "It's my body! No one has asked ME how I feel about it, and I don't want any treatment!" or something like that. That got attention... maybe this will, too. I'll probably try to inform the paper again, but who knows what will happen with that? They seem completely disinterested.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Probably a great opportunity for new light, it seems to be a way the org deals with a lot of what happens and problems.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think that newspapers should run stories like these. With terrorism being such a hot topic people are becoming interested in religions that manipulate there members in harmful ways, and so there is little difference being a JW or an extremist Muslim or any other religion that tries to suggest they are the only ones with truth.
    If this case wins it will be a huge victory that will start the ball rolling for many others.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here is an idea to get your local media interested. Mail out a packet containing:

• A note from you (can be anonymous) asking them to do a story on it.
    • A printout of the AP story on blood/tort/misrepresentation.
    • A brochure from ajwrb.*
    • Bizarre medical myths brochure.*
    • Blood teachings brochure.*

This capitalizes on the "sensational" side of this issue that is attention-grabbing, which is a good way to get the media interested.

*All available at www.jwinfo.8m.com/activism.htm

• kristyann
    kristyann

Thanks, rebel! Great idea.

I know, it seems we have to point out the most sensational aspects of things to get the media interested. But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit