Brokeback mountain

by InquiryMan 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I finally got to see it tonight. Actually I wanted my wife and me to see it yesterday, but we were both too tired. It was very touching, well-made. It was sad. The first scene that really hit me was the one with Alma, sitting on the kitchen table after she had seen it all through the window. Although I never cheated on my wife, I never fully became the husband and lover she wanted. She deserved better and I hope she´ll be happier, too. The rest of the film, was see without a dry eye. I guess I am way too emotional. Not much of a macho man, but I have learnt the tough way to show empathy.

• Dimples
    Dimples

I thought the movie was GREAT! It was very sad. So many people are missing a good movie because of the content.

Dimples

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

several people i know have seen it.. i have to wait for dvd..

their comments ranged from opinions like your own , to ambivalence.. one friend of mine said she was watching the movie throughout waiting for the plot to develop but it never did.. although she said it was compelling enough to sit thru the whole thing.

i'm sure it has a lot deeper meaning to it than some of us hetero females would catch onto. but i am determined to watch it when i can.

(and LOL at some of the parodies online!! i've seen spongeback mountain, and one from star wars..)

• jstalin
    jstalin

Check out the short story too. It gives the story a little more context.

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

I don't think I'm going to watch it, but i've heard that some people didn't like it because it showed them cheating on their wives with each other, and they just left it at that.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Of course I do not condone the cheating per se, but they were all victims in this, trying to adapt to the expectations of society and follow the expected pattern. (Is this R-rated in the US? Where I come from it is PG11 (it means according to law, children as young as 8 can see it with a grown up consort, but the content is of course so mature, that hardly anyone below 15 sees it anyway).

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

So many broken and unfulfilled lives - - -

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

It is sad. If they had been free to live authentically in the first place the whole situation with the cheating would never have occurred. Oh for the day when no one cares about who we love.

Sherry

• FairMind
    FairMind
    So many people are missing a good movie because of the content

That's the problem, the content

Oh for the day when no one cares about who we love.

That day will never be! Thank God for that.

• Simon
    Simon
    That day will never be! Thank God for that.

Yes, unfortunately, judgemental religious types will always be with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit