Neanderthal man

by scary21 77 Replies latest jw friends

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    I don't believe that current men can be found with a skull like that of a Neanthertal. Any thoughts?
  • Perry
    Perry

- This guy looks pretty close

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Humans carry Neanderthal DNA we mated about 50,000 years ago according to DNA studies:

http://www.livescience.com/48399-when-neanderthals-humans-first-interbred.html

he DNA from the 45,000-year-old bone of a man from Siberia is helping to pinpoint when modern humans and Neanderthals first interbred, researchers say.
    Although modern humans are the only surviving human lineage, others once lived on Earth. The closest extinct relatives of modern humans were the Neanderthals, who lived in Europe and Asia until they went extinct about 40,000 years ago. Recent findings revealed that Neanderthals interbred with ancestors of modern humans when modern humans began spreading out of Africa — 1.5 to 2.1 percent of the DNA of anyone living outside Africa today is Neanderthal in origin.

• Perry
    Perry

Researchers at the Anthropological Institute, University of Zürich, used computer-assisted paleoanthropology (CAP) to reconstruct what a Neandertal child would have looked like, based on skull remains (Gibraltar 2 specimen) and comparison with modern human bone and soft tissue morphology.http://www.ifi.uzh.ch/staff/zolli/CAP/Main_face.htm(Image de.wikipedia.org)Neandertals

Looks well within human limits to me.

In addition to morphological and physiological evidence for the vocal tract, including the modern hyoid bone,5 molecular biology is now providing support that Neandertals were fully equipped for speaking complex languages. TheFOXP2 genes found in Neandertals therefore show that they were Homo sapiens.

• scary21
    scary21

So far from what I can gather Snare&Racket believes like my ex, that they were not human.

Billy the Ex-Bethelite believes it's still uncertain ( that was a surprise)

Opusdei1972 I'm not sure what you believe ?

The rest of my friends that have responded here I think, believe like me, that they were human,

What do the rest of you think ?
    Sherry

• Honesty
    Honesty

scary21:

My ex husband and father of my daughter was never baptized but is still a believer in the WT.
    A couple years ago we were talking about evolution ( which he does not believe in ) I brought up the subject of the Neanderthals and how we all have their DNA except Africans ( the ones that never left Africa )
    He said Neanderthals are apes and not humans and JW's do not teach that they are humans.

Jehovah's Witnesses do teach that the Neanderthals were human:

Life—How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? (1985 WTBTS)

Page 95

Paragraph 34

“Ape-Men”—What Were They?

Neanderthal man (named after the Neander district in Germany where the first fossil was found) was undoubtedly human. At first he was pictured as bent over, stupid looking, hairy and apelike. Now it is known that this mistaken reconstruction was based on a fossil skeleton badly deformed by disease. Since then, many Neanderthal fossils have been found, confirming that he was not much different from modern humans.

• cofty
    cofty

They were not Homo sapiens. Their genome was sufficiently close to that of our ancestors to make inter-breeding possible.

Homo neanderthalis was just one of many hominins that shared the planet. Only Homo sapiens still survives. All of the Australopithecus, Paranthropus and Ardipithecus only survive in the fossil record. Chimpanzees are now our closest relative.

• cofty
    cofty

Challenge for Perry et al.

Please tell us which of the following skulls are human and why?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You say he doesn't "believe" in Evolution. Evolution by Natural Selection is a proven fact, and even the WT admits this to a degree. All informed people do not doubt it, how can you, with the body of evidence ?

So he does not have to "believe" in it as you would in Unicorns or some other mythical thing, he can examine all the facts.

What he is probably meaning deep down is that he believes in a Creator, which is a separate question. A good number of educated people who recognize the truth of Evolution, as they do of Gravity, also believe in a Creator.

Such belief, in a Creator, relies upon blind faith.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

The photo that Perry showed above may be belongs to a man who has a deformed skull.

I tend to believe that Neanthertals were very close to us, but not of our specie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit