So, did you know any Janitors or Landscape people?

by free2beme 29 Replies latest jw friends

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Hello everyone. Great Site. Been a lurker for past year. I've been inactive for past 10 years and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

I had to jump in on this one. You should never judge anyone by what they do for a living. What makes a nurse or retail manager any smarter than a landscaper ? Just because you went to college doesn't make you smart.

I've been a landscape for 22 years and make a pretty good living. I own a $500,000 home,been on 10 cruises,travel all around ,own 3 vehicles ,and putting 2 kids thru college. I also know an elder that's a millionaire that owns a landscape business.

When we first moved in our subdivision,all these so called "Educated People" were looking to see who moved in. Well ,it was a landscaper. How did he ever get enough money to move in our neighorhood? Some of them don't even talk to us because they think what they do for a living is somehow better than mine.

What do you do for a living? Why is you occupation better than mine?

• mjs mouse, ben
    mjs mouse, ben

Lots of JW window washers in this town, all fighting for that little piece of cheese!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Rules & Regs,

I got a tremendous amount of satisfaction from my experience as a landscaper. We did a lot of water features and other cool installation type projects that always made me proud to know that I had created something that looks so cool. There is nothing wrong with hard work. If you can become successful and make a good living from your blood and sweat, it only makes you appreciate what you have more. The brother that I worked for was a millionare too. I think though that he reached this status by employing underage kids from the Cong like me and paying them $2.00 an hour. lol.

If the people in your neighborhood think less of you because you're a landscaper, f##k 'em.

-Breck

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Low-Key

You and I know how hard you have to work at this occupation. The elder I know that's a millionaire employs all Hispanics paying them under $8 an hour. I asked him why he doesn't pay them more since they all work 12 hr. days 6 days a week. His response,"They don't deserve more because they're lucky to have a job". In the mean time, he just sold his home foe $875,000 last month.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I don't think this subject is necessarily looking down on certain lines of work. I respect anyone who works hard. I think the point people are trying to make is that if you took time out to go to college or get further training--your spirituality was weak because JWs consider that as trying to attain riches in the "world", and it takes time away from converting others to their little cult.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am not making light of the line of work. I am pointing out how little Witnesses, have jobs that require a college degree. Some have four year degrees, but very few go farther then that. Yes, you can make good money as a gardener or janitor, but is this really a highly respected job? High pay, yes! Yet for the most part, like it or not, people do not see a janitor as a job they want to look to a a career goal and a small amount of people would turn to such an owner for knowledge (Unless they are elders). Personally, I place a lot of importance on a college degree. I want my child to get one and to not have to spend his life cleaning after others, even if it is good money. I want him to go for the most education possible and make a difference in this world, if he can.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

LOL!! Okay I know this is a dumb question, but was it just me or did we seem to have a lot of Janitors and landscape people in that religion. I did know a couple of higher paying professions in our congregation, nurses, large business owners and a couple of retail managers. By far though, the majority was janitors and landscape people. Unless you were woman, and then it was medical transcribers and medical billing. Had tons of those and every once in a while you got someone trying to sneak a multi-level marketing deal into the congregation, but they were usually discouraged. What I was wondering though, in your time, did you know any doctors, lawyers, professors, or anything that required a degree beyond four years? I have LDS friends, and as much as I see them as a cult too, they are full of highly educated people with successful and well respected positions. I don't know any Witnesses like this, did you? love2Bwordly, If you re-read this, it states that there a lot janitors and landscapers in that religion. LDS are full of educated people with successful and well respected positions. I don't know any Witnesses like this, did you? We all know the JW frown on higher education, but this post is about how most members are not educated or can't get past being a window washer,landscaper or janitor.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Personally, I don't have any desire to be a janitor or window washer and I hope my child does not grow up to be one. I hope he goes to college, gets a degree and gets a job that can make a real difference in this world. The reason most Witnesses become Janitors or Gardeners are ...

A. Owning your own business, means you can control your hours and fit in meetings and conventions, without any problems from outside employers.

B. It pays well enough, to even go part time, can pay basic bills like rent, food, gas, etc.

C. It does not require them to go to any long time schooling, that would waste time they could be spending in "Jehovah's" service.

I don't measure my respect for a job, based on how much money you make. Some of the wealthiest people in society are making that money, doing things I highly disrespect. Some professions like; drug dealing, drug manufacturing, politics, etc. I measure my respect for a profession, based a lot on education. If someone comes to me and says, "I make $100,000 per year and I do it washing windows." I think, nice amount of money, but your not going to be someone I tell my son to look at and say, "do like him." I want my son to strive to be something in the world, and I feel that getting a college degree is important. I don't care if he comes out of the degree and takes a job making less then a janitor or gardener, I care that get got the education. Money, whatever, education is key to me.

I make light of the professions mentioned, because I see them as something Witnesses did in abundance, because they lacked the ability (pressure to not do college) to make themselves into something better. By the way, I remembered today that a lot of men did so construction too and one was a architect. Which did require a little more schooling, but such people were the minority, by a long shot.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    LDS are full of educated people with successful and well respected positions.

I am sorry, but there is a lot of LDS people that are highly educated. As mentioned by another poster, this just proves that even with the best education, some can be dumasses. LOL The thing is, how many Jehovah's Witnesses universities are there? Did your family require you to get a higher education? Did your family put a lot of importance on education? I know what the answers to these questions are. I can dislike the LDS religion's teachings, but I am not going to downplay their educational goals. They're wonderful! I went to school with a lot of LDS members and know a lot of lawyers, professors and even one doctor. I wish I had been given that chance as a teen, and on to college. I did not, instead I was shown people who had janitorial jobs, gardeners, and so on, and told, "just work in something that pays the bills in this world, and get a true education from Jehovah." That is not advice I will be given my child.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi R&R, welcome to the forum!

Education does not prove a person's worth to God. To corporations, well that's a different story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit