Who really is Babylon the Great?

by sinis 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• proplog2
    proplog2

Narkissos:

I appreciate the dialog.

free "unknowns" that you can apply to about any current ;antagonism. The text, out of its original context, doesn't offer ;resistance anymore. You are left alone with your imagination and wandering symbols.

You have stated the real problem. I offer the best fit with the possible entities on the present world stage. I have yet to see anything that comes close. By saying "the free unknowns can apply to about any current antagonism" you are suggesting that there are competing scenarios. Produce them. If this is so willy nilly it ought to be easy. And many try and fail miserably. Heathens(see above) ideas are rather typical - not very well thought out. The Watchtower does a horrible job for being in the business of prognostication. But I believe the Watchtower is wrong for the right strategic reasons. It is important that they don't realize the identity of Babylon the Great until it is necessary for them to flee. If they had believed the USA was Babylon The Great they would have been confronted with a lot of false alarms. They would always be on the verge of packing up and moving.

I have a very poor imagination. (My wife would attest to that). I see what is in front of me. But I do really SEE.

The criteria for fitting is very simple. North. South. One is the instigator. Rich. World Hegemon. Fragile. Sword stroke and revives first as friendly but then changes back.

In theory it seems like it would be possible to find many candidates. Then find them.

It becomes a little more complicated when you add the requirement of "significance" and the potential for maximum global effects.

If it doesn't involve the richest most prosperous nation on earth (ever) and its arch enemy then why bother?

What I'm saying is don't belittle these so called little/simple criteria. Correctly predicting a simple coin flip is not impressive. Do it 6 -8-10 times in a row and you have something significant. Humans don't take naturally to probablistic thinking.

Your argument is that "anybody can" so lets see "anybody" do it.

• heathen
    heathen

Now that would be interesting to see the WTBTS exit the US like an exodus . The problem is that they are universally hated so where on earth could they go ? Are you in the US proplog2? If so what keeps you there?

Your explanation lacks discernment much like the WTBTS . I do give them credit tho for realizing that the whore was a religious entity and not political .

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    You have stated the real problem. I offer the best fit with the possible entities on the present world stage.

No, there is the problem. There is absolutely no reason to be looking beyond the text's named charcters and the writer's time.

I I have a very poor imagination. (My wife would attest to that). I see what is in front of me. But I do really SEE.

You see what you want to see. You want to believe the book has a cryptic message for you and our time so you see one.

The criteria for fitting is very simple. North. South. One is the instigator. Rich. World Hegemon. Fragile. Sword stroke and revives first as friendly but then changes back.

That simple criteria is a hodgepodge of collected apocalyptic texts and interpreations forced upon them by your proposed identification. The last of which is not even from the same book.

In theory it seems like it would be possible to find many candidates. Then find them.

The early Christians identified the charcters with Rome and its Caesars.

It becomes a little more complicated when you add the requirement of "significance" and the potential for maximum global effects.
    If it doesn't involve the richest most prosperous nation on earth (ever) and its arch enemy then why bother?

More of the above.

What I'm saying is don't belittle these so called little/simple criteria. Correctly predicting a simple coin flip is not impressive. Do it 6 -8-10 times in a row and you have something significant. Humans don't take naturally to probablistic thinking.

Your argument is that "anybody can" so lets see "anybody" do it.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Heathen:

How about a real rebuttal. You would have to produce some kind of scale for measuring what you call discernment. Show where I rank on such a scale and why. If you can't do that you are merely voicing your opinion.

I have shown why Babylon the Great is not a religious entity. I challenge anyone to read my posts about Babylon the Great and still insist that it is a religious entity. Of course science has pretty much proved that the earth is a sphere yet some insist on believing its flat.

• proplog2
    proplog2

PP:

No, there is the problem. There is absolutely no reason to be looking beyond the text's named charcters and the writer's time.

No reason? Look at Leolia's quoted defense of the orientation you insist on:

5) The angel then provides a second interpretation of the seven heads of the beast in Revelation 17:10, claiming that they represent seven kings. Of these, five were described as fallen, one was currently ruling, the seventh was to come for a short while, and an eighth (corresponding to the figure of Nero redivivus) was to follow the seven. Attempts to identify these kings with historical Roman emperors has proven to be notoriously difficult. This is because there was some disagreement over who was the first emperor (e.g. Suetonius and Josephus regarded Julius Caesar as the first emperor, while Tacitus and Vergil regarded Augustus as the first emperor), and whether the three short-lived emperors of AD 68-69 (Galba, Otho, and Vitellius) count or not. Sybilline Oracles 5:35 and Josephus, Jewish War 4.491-99 mentioned Galba, Otho, and Vitellius, but Suetonius (Vespasian, 1) terms the three emperors' reigns as the "rebellion of the three princes" (rebellio trium principum), suggesting that their brief tenure were mere interregna between the reigns of legitimate emperors. Another uncertainty is whether the short-lived seventh king of Revelation 17:10 was intended to correspond with the three emperors of AD 68-69, with one of them, or with the relatively short reign of Titus (AD 79-81). One attractive and popular interpretation is to posit Augustus, Tiberius, Gaius, Claudius, and Nero as the first five emperors, Vespasian as the sixth emperor who "is" (skipping over the three interregna), Titus as the emperor "who must stay for a short while", and Domitian as the final emperor, Nero redivivus. However, Jewish and Christian sources otherwise seem to start with Julius Caesar as the first emperor (cf. Josephus, Antiquities 18.32, Sibylline Oracles 5:12, 4 Ezra 12:15, Barnabas 4:3-6, Theophilus, Ad Autolycum, 3.27), so this solution may well not be correct. It may also be the case that such approaches are somewhat forced since "seven" is a highly symbolic number in Revelation, and so it may not be reasonable to expect a perfect correspondence here.

Attempts to identify these kings with historical Roman emperors has proven to be NOTORIOUSLY DIFFICULT...because there was some disagreement over who was the first emperor...AND whether the three short-lived emperors ... count or not.

this solution may well not be correct. Such approaches are somewhat forced. May not be reasonable to expect a pefect correspondence here.

That is my reason for looking for other explanations. The ones you suggest don't seem to fit.

Beyond that though, there is just as much REASON to look for so called cryptic messages from alien entities as it is to train arrays of radio telescopes on sections of the sky with the hope of making contact with something OUT THERE.

That simple criteria is a hodgepodge of collected apocalyptic texts and interpreations forced upon them by your proposed identification. ; The last of which is not even from the same book.

No the "simple criteria" are descriptors of the entities being discussed. You abstract those criteria and use them in a search for possible candidates. You don't have to search far, wide & deep because your looking for something right NOW that is big enough and significant enough to have a major affect on world events. Russia and the USA are still enemies as is once again becoming evident. Russia is North. USA is South. The King of the North destroys the King of the South. The WIld Beast that dies as the Soviet Union died in 1991 gets tired of the wealthy harlot on its back and destroys her.

The early Christians identified the charcters with Rome and its Caesars.

They were wrong because it wasn't the time of the end. You can say they were wrong because no one can be right. That would be a logical conclusion if it weren't for the fact that we now have an extraordinary fit between those prophesies and events NOW.

You obviously haven't done the math. You don't like the idea that there might be something of redeeming value in the Bible. You are right I am intrigued by the possibilities. But my orientation isn't basically any less valid than yours.

• proplog2
    proplog2

So much for my participation in this thread. I have been on this forum for several years. I have enjoyed the opportunity I have had to participate for the last couple of months. It is now time for me to go back to making some money.

Thanks

• heathen
    heathen

Ok let's see here discernment

so far I have proplog at 0 along with leolaia

WTBTS -- maybe about mid pack around lets say 4 or 5

most religions average less than that

on a scale of one to ten that is

You are missing alot of detail about the harlot to come to your conclusion

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Its ok Leolia your always a 10 to me.

I'm just now beginning to understand the entertainment value of discussions like these.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit