Did I Miss Something?

by MerryMagdalene 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Are there any of you who actually experienced this? (from Awake 5/22/94 Young People Ask--What If I Fall For An Unbeliever?)

Think of how much your religious values have shaped your emotions—the joy you experience at Christian meetings, the thrill of sharing the Bible’s message with a receptive person, the pleasure of studying the Bible itself. Can an unbeliever possibly grasp—much less share—such feelings? Hardly.

I didn't. Now I feel ripped off. Can I get a refund? Maybe I was an unbeliever the whole time and just didn't realize it, cos I just wasn't able to grasp--much less share--such feelings! I feel them now, but in an entirely different context. So I have to ask: Can the Governing Body possibly grasp--much less share--the true feelings of young JWs? Hardly.

~Merry

• calico
    calico

They think if they keep repeating those words that you will convince yourself that you really feel that way!oh, and of course if you are not happy---it is your own fault!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I remember reading sh-tuff like this all the time. I wondered what it would feel like to feel depressed because I thought if I get any happier, I am gonna have to kill myself!

And no ... you can't get a refund ... not even a crummy t-shirt.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes, I experience it daily now that I have escaped the Watchtower Lie.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"We shall crush you down to the point from which there is no coming back. Things will happen to you from which you could not recover, if you lived a thousand years. Never again will you be capable of ordinary human feeling. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks, Leolaia. Freak me out, why don't you!

That is so THEM.

*shudder*

~Merry

edited to add--It's been so long since I read it that I forgot just how applicable 1984 is (till your quote made me look again)...

We have cut the links between child and parent, and between man and man, and between man and woman. No one dares trust a wife or a child or a friend any longer.
  • Effervescent
    Effervescent

I must have not gotten the memo on that one...

I wonder if the person who wrote that did it with a straight face...

• greendawn
    greendawn

This is all empty rhetoric to mind condition the dubs, no one can expereince real joy in a shallow and dictatorial environment that has no true brotherly love and where people are stricken and motivated by the morbid fear of a savage and exacting god.

Alternatively these things can be experienced in many healthy and balanced real Christian religions.

• ezra
    ezra

if you study for the sake of studying it will never mean anything to you,you have to want to understand his word,you have to have a sincere desire to help others,these things can not come from study but motivation to want something better than satans world

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    if you study for the sake of studying it will never mean anything to you,you have to want to understand his word,you have to have a sincere desire to help others,these things can not come from study but motivation to want something better than satans world

blah blah blah blah blah

the amazing part is that you actually believe the stuff you spew.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit