WTS: NO MORE BOUND VOLUMES AFTER THIS YEAR!

by Mary 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous
    Why do they need a computer for audio???

MP3 CDs of the mags have been available for a while now. If they are continuing this format, many people may assume they need a computer to play them - most probably aren't familiar with the MP3 CD players available now, and the players in their cars likely aren't compatible.

• Ring Wielder
    Ring Wielder

No more bound volumes...Hmmm...Do you think there will be a directive about the Kingdom Hall libraries... I mean theres a lot of nasty stuff going back to the dark ages lying around in the libraries. They will maybe send a letter to the effect that the old stuff is taking up space in the library...or is a fire hazard or some such excuse.

No more bound volumes...well thats the rain forest saved then!

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were using some subliminal hypnosis techniques....

Blah blah blah blah blah [support the Worldwide Work with your contributions] blah blah blah blah [the Internet is full of Apostates™] blah blah blah blah [it's really ok that we have pedophiles in our congregations] blah blah blah blah

Scully, this is priceless. This should be added to the "Best of posts" if there is such a thing. ROFLMAO.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

"Dudes, you can't be serious. You paid NOTHING to produce this, and you want $50?!?"
    ----------------------------------------

That's actually WRONG. They DID pay $$$ to produce the first version. The WT actually hired an outside company to write the interface application that is used on the CD-ROM. Basically, the CD-ROM has 2 parts: a program that loads the data and the data itself. The data is the "BIG FILE" (~several GB). The idea is that the data can be updated, but as long as the format stays the same the application can parse the data file. Standard stuff. It does seem they have improved the application over time, but the main cost was writing the FIRST one.

They went el-cheapo and did not produce a Mac version, because of licensing issues and not wanting to pay for 2 seperate versions of the initial application. I know this FIRST HAND because I meant one of the programmers out in field service (he was visiting relatives in upstate NY, and he answered the door one random Saturday morning).

Now, I'm NOT justifying the $50 price. They're distribution + marketing costs are minimal, and they shouldn't be turning a profit. But, 25 cent price is only the MARGINAL COST of the CD, and does not include the initial FIXED cost.

Actually, I think they contracted out MIPS as well. Not many window-washers can actually code, and those that do end up visiting apostate websites. or at least this one did :-)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My son will be disappointed. He literally uses his father's old bound volumes for target practice. They actually stop bullets.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Maybe they are doing that because audio recordings can't be used against them in a court of law...

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

The magazines HAVE been on CD for some time. From what I understand they originally were in MP3 format, but supposedly they are/will be availible in regular CD format so your sister will be able to play them that way. Of course, if she has a DVD player that can handle the MP3 format she doesn't need a computer. I have seen and heard this done.

They are not to be confused with the library CD which continues to have the same information that a bound volume would have.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This just does not sound right. The Ministry School has a reading part that sometimes uses past WT articles.......part of them. And they use WT articles for parts in the service meetings.

I can't see them only storing this on audio.

I can see the reasoning for not doing the bound volumes anymore........as many now just print off any information they need from CDROM.

We in America are fortunate, as we are very connected internet way. But there are many countries that the Kingdom Halls are like huts.........they sit on benches with dirt floors.

I guess they want everyone to save thier back issues.......which most do anyway.

purps

• Carmel
    Carmel

My son has developed software where you can scan the lit into a data base and then search by word, phrase, etc. I don't know what he charges for it but his web site is www.bahaieducation.org and the software is called "sifter" incase anyone wants to contact him and make your own searchable watchtower database.

carmel

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

or someone can scan the mags as they come out (i think this is being done already) and make them searchable, then they can be compared to the WTLIB CD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit