The naive JW and the naive apostate.

by dmouse 12 Replies latest jw friends

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I am of the opinion that the Dateline report will cause no significant problems within the WTS. However, perhaps it should be our goal to keep the population at 6,000,000 and educate the public.

Trying our best to marginalize the WTS and prevent growth. Eventually, it will morph or wither and die in the future?

ConflictedExcellent summary of the different types of Witnesses.

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• joelbear
    joelbear

Dmouse

Yes, I do think we will see that changed before 2014. The generation change was the first step towards this. As we move deeper into the 21st century it will be too hard for them to keep people thinking that the time of the end would span over 100 years.

Our goal should not be to bring down the Watchtower. Our goal should not be to get people to stop being JW's. Our goal should be to help people live a full life whether they remain a witness or not.

Attack the dangerous ideas that keep people from living their life.

Ideas like:

1) The end is very very near, no need to plan for the future. You should combat this not by attacking the chronology ideas, but by gently guiding people to follow their dreams.

2) No part of the world, only go to meetings and associate with witnesses. You should combat this by gently getting your JW relatives and friends involved in volunteer groups and other ways of showing them that most people are basically good and that there is nothing "special" about Jehovah's Witnesses.

These are the beliefs that are life altering. These are the core values that we can help them change over time.

hugs

Joel

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi demouse: Your post is very good, and you noted about ex-JWs:

"To be fair, there is also the counterpart, the naïve apostate, who says that the internet/paedophile issue/problem x is going to bring the Society crashing down in flames. I’ve been around long enough to know that the GB makes Houdini look like a one legged mouse in a cat’s home. The religion known as Jehovah’s Witnesses will be around for a long time, though it will eventually morph into a more normal mainstream religion (in 50 – 100 years). I think that the numbers will stabilise at around 7 million with no appreciable movement either way unless they do something really stupid (like refuse to abandon the 1914 doctrine, think how stupid THAT will sound in 2064"

I have not read or heard any ex-JW make such bold claims, although some have strongly expressed such desires. But, I do believe that the "Potential" exist, if the issue continues to accelerate and civil lawsuits are filed in many locations, to have serious consequences for the religion.

First, the publicity alone will have some initial impact, and could cause a serious slowing in growth, much more so than in recent years. Second, if any number of lawsuits are successful, then this could drain the Society of funds, 'IF' these suits are awarded large monetary amounts. Third, if the Watch Tower Society makes any attempts at reform to try and keep JW membership, this could spell trouble, and failure to make needed reforms may mean as much trouble. The Governing Body will have to walk a very fineline.

I agree with you that the Society is expert at pulling a rabbit out of the hat and survive this issue. As an ex-JW, I have no illusions about their capability. So, while I have cited a 'potential' for their demise, at the same time, I will not be surprised if they manage the crisis, and regain ground in a couple of years after the dust settles. The JW mentality of Blind Loyalty is such that the peodphile issue will have to become much larger before my suggested 'potential' has a chance of realization. - Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit