Inappropriate Guilt & the September 2001 KM

by Nicodemus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

With respect to the article on the back page of the September 2001 KM which has been reproduced in another thread, it is my hope that all hard-working Jehovah’s Witnesses consider the balanced counsel provided in the official journal of Jehovah’s Witnesses, The Watchtower, as highlighted herein:

w92 11/1 17 Education With a Purpose
    If married, a man should be able to provide properly for his wife and any children that may be born, with a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work.—Ephesians 4:28; 1 Timothy 5:8.

In the above quote, clear direction is given as to what a married man would set as a goal or standard in making “reasonable” provision for his family. If, due to his personal circumstances and educational level, a brother is required to work long hours and/or under difficult circumstances to do this, he has nothing for which to be ashamed, or for which to apologize.

In addition, the following clarifying comments might be considered. Please pay special attention to the sections of the text highlighted in bold, as they bear especially upon certain issues and topics raised in the KM article:

w97 8/15 19-20 "Soundness of Mind" as the End Draws Close
    “Soundness of Mind” and Family Responsibilities

7 The apostle Paul advised Christians “to live with soundness of mind.” (Titus 2:12) It is of interest that, in the context, Paul exhorts women “to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sound in mind, chaste, workers at home.” (Titus 2:4, 5) Paul wrote that in the years 61-64 C.E., a few years before the end of the Jewish system of things. Yet, mundane matters, such as housework, were still important. Both husbands and wives should therefore maintain a healthy, positive view of their domestic responsibilities so that “the word of God may not be spoken of abusively.” One family head apologized to a visitor for the embarrassing appearance of his home. He explained that it was in disrepair “because he was pioneering.” It is commendable when we make sacrifices in behalf of the Kingdom, but care must be taken not to sacrifice the welfare of our families.
    8 The Bible urges fathers to give their families priority, saying that one who fails to provide for his family “has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” (1 Timothy 5:8) Standards of living vary throughout the world, and it is good to keep material expectations modest. “Give me neither poverty nor riches,” prayed the writer of Proverbs 30:8. However, parents should not ignore the material needs of their children. Would it be wise, for example, deliberately to leave one’s family without the basic necessities of life in order to pursue theocratic privileges? Could this not embitter one’s children? On the other hand, Proverbs 24:27 says: “Prepare your work out of doors, and make it ready for yourself in the field. Afterward you must also build up your household.” Yes, while concern for material things has its place, ‘building up one’s household’—spiritually and emotionally—is vital.
    9 Have you made provisions to care for your family in case you suffer an untimely death? Proverbs 13:22 says: “One who is good will leave an inheritance to sons of sons.” In addition to an inheritance of knowledge of Jehovah and a relationship with him, parents would be interested in providing materially for their children. In many lands responsible family heads will try to have some savings, a legal will, and insurance. After all, God’s people are not immune to “time and unforeseen occurrence.” (Ecclesiastes 9:11) Money is “for a protection,” and careful planning can often avert hardship. (Ecclesiastes 7:12) In lands where medical care is not paid for by the government, some may choose to set aside funds for health needs or arrange for some type of health coverage.
    10 The Scriptures also say: “Children ought not to lay up for their parents, but the parents for their children.” (2 Corinthians 12:14) In the world it is common for parents to lay up money for their children’s future education and marriage so as to give them a good start in life. Have you given thought to laying up for your child’s spiritual future? Suppose, for example, that a grown child is pursuing the full-time ministry. While full-time servants should neither demand nor expect outside support, loving parents might choose to ‘share with him according to his needs’ in order to help him remain in full-time service.—Romans 12:13; 1 Samuel 2:18, 19; Philippians 4:14-18.
    11 Having a realistic view of money does not indicate a lack of faith that Satan’s wicked system is near its end. It is simply a matter of showing “practical wisdom” and sound judgment. (Proverbs 2:7; 3:21) Jesus once said that “the sons of this system of things are wiser in a practical way . . . than the sons of the light are” in their use of money. (Luke 16:8) No wonder, then, that some have seen the need to make adjustments in the way they use their assets, so that they can better care for the needs of their families.

Please also note this interesting comment, from that same reference:

w97 8/15 22 "Soundness of Mind" as the End Draws Close
    [Footnotes]

In the United States, for example, many carry health insurance, although such tends to be expensive. Some Witness families have found that certain doctors are more willing to consider nonblood alternatives when families have medical coverage. Many physicians will accept the amount of payment permitted under limited insurance plans or government health coverage.

Do you catch the import of the above comment with respect to the options a loyal Witness would have when it comes to the blood issue?

Finally, one last reference that has relevance:

w96 2/1 14 Education-Use It to Praise Jehovah
    22 Today, too, a well-balanced education includes preparation to care for the needs of a family some day. The apostle Paul’s words found at 1 Timothy 5:8 indicate that providing for one’s family is a sacred obligation. He wrote: “Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith.” Education, then, should prepare children for the responsibilities that they will take on in life as well as equip them to become hardworking members of the community.

It is my sincere hope that these citations will bring a measure of balance around this issue, and serve to alleviate any inappropriate guilt that may arise from consideration of the article in the 9/01 KM.

NOTE: All bold text in the above quotations is mine.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Nic: I agree with a sense of balance. I do recall the term used to be 'balanced' when reaching out to be an Elder or MS. That thought and terminology has been around the organizaiton a long time.

One CO would come to town and tell us to take more time for family and be 'balanced.' The next CO would tell us to be 'balanced' and live as though we had no 'wives' or family, as we were too close to the end to live 'normal' lives. The next CO would reverse that yet again, and encourage more family time, and then the next CO would exhort wives of Elders to be 'self-sacrificing' and take care of the family in a manner that allowed the Elder to tend to the congregation's needs. Back and forth, up and down, in and out, over and over again and again. We were constantly kept off balance and in a perpertual state of flux, never sure we were in compliance with the Society or not. - Amazing

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

Amazing,

Thanks for your comments. You identify quite precisely why confusion and uncertainty are present in the lives of many JWs.

Nicodemus

• Vienna
    Vienna

What's in the 2001 KM?

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Nic,

If married, a man should be able to provide properly for his wife and any children that may be born, with a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work.—Ephesians 4:28; 1 Timothy 5:8.

1. Is "children that may be born" insinuating that the married man only has to provide properly for children that are born to him while married to her? Such strange wording.

2. "Little extra" - is this little sum to be split among those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work? Again, such strange wording. What is a "little extra?" and "those in need?" Is it only jw's or can it be given to a true charitable organization?

w97 8/15 22 "Soundness of Mind" as the End Draws Close
    [Footnotes]

In the United States, for example, many carry health insurance, although such tends to be expensive. Some Witness families have found that certain doctors are more willing to consider nonblood alternatives when families have medical coverage. Many physicians will accept the amount of payment permitted under limited insurance plans or government health coverage.

Sooooo, we should keep in mind that we can get nonblood alternatives easier when we have insurance. If doctors can make more money, they'll allow more "freedom" to the ill person? What strange wording.

waiting

• Farkel
    Farkel

Nicodemus,

I had the opportunity to take advantage of several University scholarships. My Presiding Overseer had to visit my high school counselor in my Senior year and explain to him that the end of this system of things was coming in 1975 and that I needed to devote my very young life to full-time magazine-selling. (This was in 1966.) My school counselor sighed and I could tell he thought we were goofy. We were. My former Presiding Overseer is now a bitter older man (albeit fairly silent about it), but still a loyal dub. His Son is even more bitter. He is 11 years younger than me and he was robbed of the same opportunities at the same young age. Fortunately, the Son I mentioned is no longer a dub, but the damage was still done.

To both of us. Fuck the Watchtower Society and their minions and all the horses they rode in on.

May they get their just deserts, sooner or later. They are liars, charletans, pretenders to God's Grace and authority, manipulators, cowards, and downright scumbags.

And a few other things, too. I didn't mention the bad things they are, either. Like murderers in God's Name.

Sorry, Nico. I've always appreciated your posts and your balanced way of dealing with issues. I still do. I just have my own tack on the WTS and what it has become since circa 1938.

Farkel

• VM44
    VM44

Amazing wrote:
    "...Back and forth, up and down, in and out, over and over again and again. We were constantly kept off balance and in a perpertual state of flux..."

Sounds like an over correcting, unstable feedback loop!
    System needs more damping! :)

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

Some additional thoughts.

Below are two quotes from the recent KM article:

Because of unfavorable economic conditions in various places, heads of households may have to work long and hard to make a living. When demanding secular jobs take most of their time and strength, they have little left for the preaching work. Since they have an obligation to provide materially for their families, some may feel that they can have only a limited share in the ministry. (1 Tim. 5:8)

Because the world scene is always changing, a family head may be inclined to spend an excessive amount of time on the job, with a view to building up his financial reserves for unforeseen crises. (1 Cor. 7:31)

Let's take the first. What is stated is really the crux of the matter, isn't it? Let's review relevant sections I cited from previous Watchtower material:

If married, a man should be able to provide properly for his wife and any children that may be born, with a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work.-Ephesians 4:28; 1 Timothy 5:8.

and

In addition to an inheritance of knowledge of Jehovah and a relationship with him, parents would be interested in providing materially for their children. In many lands responsible family heads will try to have some savings, a legal will, and insurance. After all, God’s people are not immune to “time and unforeseen occurrence.” (Ecclesiastes 9:11) Money is “for a protection,” and careful planning can often avert hardship. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)

So, the Watchtower indicates that a man should provide "properly" for his wife and children. I don't believe "properly" means "just barely above the poverty level." Otherwise, how would he have "a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work?" And, let's be clear that 1 Timothy 5:8 is a scriptural requirement, just as much as, say, Hebrews 10:24, 25. So, at the very least, the two scriptural thoughts must be balanced.

The reality is that, in capitalist lands, earning such a livelihood is, at its core, a competition. You, the wage earner, are in competition with other wage earners who are also trying to provide for their families. Per the laws of supply and demand, this dictates, for example, what houses and/or rents cost in a given area, and what wage levels are paid for various forms of employment.

In many cases, our brothers in who are now approximately in their 40's and 50's have an additional challenge. Because the prevailing JW attitude in the 70's and 80's was generally anti-college, these brothers are often forced to compete with substandard educational levels. In my view, this means one of two things:

1. They often must work more hours at lower wages to keep up, or
    2. If ambitious, they seek out further education to bolster their skills

It is further possible that they may actually have to do both simultaneously. Whatever the case, such efforts take time and effort, whether physical or mental.

Now let's take the second issue, that of "building up his financial reserves for unforeseen crises."

Here's where that second Watchtower quote above was balanced, and realistic. It mentioned "savings, a legal will, and insurance." It mentioned the very real fact that Jehovah's Witnesses are not immune to "time and unforeseen occurrence." Finally, the fact that "money is for a protection."

Therefore, I am confused by the apparently negative comment in the KM regarding a family man who works at "building up his financial reserves for unforeseen crises." How do I reconcile that with the Watchtower comments just cited?

Let me add one final comment that may be relevant. The Society, when considering a new construction project, certainly plans ahead. Before approving construction on a new assembly hall, the Society requires that a large percentage of the funds needed already be in the bank, as well as clear documentation in the form of pledges for the remaining amount. (Luke 14:28)

I just don't see where a family man should be made to feel guilty for doing the same, even if it requires extensive effort on his part.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Nico,
    Among the things we need to be liberated from is the preoccupation over what others think of us and our lifestyle. As long as we acquire life's necessities honestly, who cares what the elders may make of our career choices? You can't please everyone, and the fastest way to go crazy is to try......

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

As usual, Nicodemus, your thoughts and mine are right along the same path.

A reasonable mind cannot help but question who writes some of the stuff in WTS publications, and what’s behind it. The WTS seems to overlook the fact that people do amazing things, when they are inspired, and that is what is lacking! Besides the constant pressure to “do more,” we also have a complete lack of defense of certain teachings, like the one on blood transfusion.

Our governing body behaves as if no one reads or knows of the SOUND refutations of certain WTS dogma. This is called head burying, and it has decimated the ranks of those JWs that conscientiously believe in and want to follow the Bible as their moral guide.

We both know many of our friends who struggle to make ends meet, only to have their consciences burdened further by articles like that one in this September KM. I am just plain tired of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit