Part A: The Missing 200-Years

by Amazing1914 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Part A: THE MISSING 200 YEARS

The Watchtower Society has written a lot since its inception in 1878. It has zeroed in on religious history and doctrine to make its case that such religion is false … and thus concluded that the Watchtower Society must be true.

So, I spent the last 18-months studying the history of the early church from the first century to the 4 th century. The purpose is to get a handle on what early Christianity was like, and whether any group or belief system today has any resemblance. Were the Early Christians like the JWs of today, or do they more closely match another group or anything at all today?

Here are some highlights to get the ball rolling. First, I noticed that the Society has mentioned the Catholic Church history and doctrines in all of its publications between 1950 and 1999 many times. And yet it only gives a brief reference to the history and doctrines of another group. Most of all, the Watchtower Society routinely avoids a certain historical time frame. Here are some statistics:

¨ Roman Catholic: 12,382 times, covering history, doctrine, conduct, etc. (5,027 in WT)

¨ Greek Orthodox: 1,467 times mostly covering the acts of Greek Priests to JWs (628 in WT)

¨ Eastern Orthodox: rarely mentioned as a specific group, and not accurately treated.

Missing 200-Years: In all of its publications, the Watchtower Society never discusses the time frame from the end of the 1 st century to the end of the 3 rd century. It completely avoids this time frame, which is critical to understanding the development and establishment of the early church, its doctrines, and mode of operations.

The closest and best time line I could find was the Chart of Dates found in Ch. 21 of the book, Babylon the Great has Fallen – God’s Kingdom Rules, (WTS, 1963) p.454-505 (discussion) and 682-690 (chart). The chart in particular covers dates from 4000 BCE to 1963 CE. It is an exhaustive list, except that it glosses over the time frame from the end of the 1 st century to the end of the 3 rd century. Likewise the discussion, as is the case in other Watchtower publications, carefully avoids these two centuries.

Why do they do this? For all the in-depth study and millions of words and thousands of magazines and books, why do they leave this critical period out of any in-depth discussion? IN the last 66 years they have only focused on the Greek Orthodox in

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Interesting Information.
    I think your post got cut off though.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Drew,

I noticed that some of my other material is being cut off and missing middle sections. Since I don't see any moderator action, then I have no idea what is going on. Here is the second half of what got cut off.

Why do they do this? For all the in-depth study and millions of words and thousands of magazines and books, why do they leave this critical period out of any in-depth discussion? IN the last 66 years they have only focused on the Greek Orthodox in Jim W.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Lets try it again,

Why do they do this? For all the in-depth study and millions of words and thousands of magazines and books, why do they leave this critical period out of any in-depth discussion? IN the last 66 years they have only focused on the Greek Orthodox in

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There are some exceptions, e.g. the Trinity series in 1992; and articles on particular Church fathers: Polycarp in 1989; Irenaeus in 1990; Justin Martyr in 1992; Papias in 1993; Tertullian in 2002; Tatian in 2003. I think most of the material in those articles came from the French Writing dept. btw.: the main writer in the 80s was keenly interested in this period.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Narkissos,

The Trinity is a doctrinal issue, so in that sense the Society really did not deal with the history of that period. You are quite correct about the early fathers you mention, such as Polycarp, Justin Martyr, etc. Again, though, while they discuss some of the characters from this period, they avoid the actaul history of the church between about 100 to 300.

I see that my attempt to post the balance of my article failed two more times. I can't understand why that is happening. It looks fine when I paste it in, then when it posts, it fails to complete the entire text.

Anyway, here is another attempt:

Well … maybe we need to know. So … for the next few postings on this topic, I will offer some history and facts which may suggest to you just why the Watchtower Society never manages to discuss the missing centuries to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Stay tuned for Part B: “The Father”

Jim W.

PS: It looks like some of it took this time, but the one paragraph cannot seem to go beyond the word 'in'. I wonder what is wrong.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Amazing1914, When posting a large post I normally have to copy the text from MS Word to Notepad and then from Notepad to the JWD post.

The JWD editor seems to chop out text that was pasted directly from MS Word.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Amazing1914 you have my attention, it will be interesting to find out what it is about that time period that they choose to ignore, hhhmmm, I await the rest of your article, I hope the formatting works for you.

IC

• toreador
    toreador

Hey me too! Get it figured out and post it!

Tor

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Society is thoroughly confused and self-contradictory in how they handle second-century Christianity. To highlight their own presumed authority in contrast to "Christendom," they utilize the "great apostasy" myth (anticipated in the NT itself) which construes the post-apostolic period as a time of falling away from the "true faith" of the apostles, an apostasy which supposedly grew and grew until the time of Constantine, who thoroughly corrupted the religion with paganism. What is almost comical is that their attempts to characterize this apostasy are inherently inconsistent and each cover up inconvenient aspects of the history. In an article published a little while ago (15 July 1990 Watchtower, pp. 21-23), the Society holds Irenaeus up as a "hero" of sorts, bravely fighting this apostasy in his condemnations of gnostic ("knowledge falsely so-called") heretics. In fact, they go so far as to refer to Irenaeus' writings as almost an index of apostolic teachings still current in the second century. In some ways, Irenaeus does comport well with Watchtower doctrine; he was a chilliast, for instance, and looked for a material establishment of the estchatological kingdom on earth. And by lauding his attempts to fight the gnostics, the Society also throws their support to Irenaeus....despite the fact that the Society endorses a docetic view of Jesus' resurrection (i.e. that Jesus was not raised in the flesh), exactly the kind of gnostic view that Irenaeus was vehemently against. And no mention of course of Irenaeus' faith in the Deity of Christ, the immortality of the soul, and other doctrines of "Christendom" that the Society wants to attribute to the apostasy. So was Irenaeus part of this apostasy, or bravely fighting it?

Now, Irenaeus' teacher was Polycarp of Smyrna. Again, the Society holds Polycarp up as a fighter for truth (15 November 1989 Watchtower, pp. 21-23; subheading "Upholds Basic Truths"), who in fact was martyred by the Romans for his faith in Christ. Now, the Society regards the belief in the Deity of Christ as resulting from the "great apostasy," so they make no mention of the fact that Polycarp referred to Jesus as God. Polycarp also strenuously argued for the fleshly resurrection of Christ (another apostate view according to the Society), and accepted the system of bishops and deacons then in existence. The two primary developments that the Society wants to attribute to a "great apostasy" (to discredit the Catholic faith, and Christian orthodoxy in general) is the belief in the Deity of Christ (conflated with the Trinity doctrine by the Society) and the rise of the Catholic ecclesiastical structure. Now, the heroic Polycarp (as characterized by the Society) was close friends with Ignatius of Antioch. Ignatius wrote his own personal letter to Polycarp, and the latter played a key role in the preservation of Ignatius' letters (as he notes in his letter to the Philippians). Ignatius also lived very close to the apostolic age compared to Irenaeus, having written his letters in c. 115 AD. What is amusing is that the Society, in separate places, either portrays Ignatius as an apostate or as holding fast to the faith. In various articles (cf. 15 November 1971 Watchtower, p. 691, 15 September 1983 Watchtower, p. 12, 22 June 1989 Awake!, p. 24), Ignatius is blamed for introducing the episcopacy and monarchical hierarchy of clergy into the Church (despite the fact that he was anticipated to some extent by the Pastorals in the NT). He is also slighted in some articles for believing "in a two-in-one God made up of the Father and the Son" (1 August 1984 Watchtower, p. 23), while this aspect to his theology (i.e. his exuberant and frequent reference to Jesus as God) is minimized in other articles (cf. 1 February 1992 Watchtower, p. 21). From these credentials, Ignatius should play center stage in the supposed "great apostasy". And yet Ignatius is also mentioned as one of the Christians who heroically died for his faith, killed by the Romans in their persecutions (cf. 1 September 1951 Watchtower, p. 517).

And on and on it goes. The Society quotes the Epistle to Diognetus (c. AD 160) approvingly to prove that early Christians were "no part of the world" (cf. 1 March 1951 Watchtower, p. 140; 1 July 1993 Watchtower, p. 14), and yet dishonestly fails to mention that they are selectively quoting a lengthy passage assuming the immortality of the soul (i.e. Christians dwell in the world and are no part of it, just as the immortal soul dwells in the body and yet is separate from the body). They approve of Justin Martyr and claim that he "rejected Greek philosophy" and noted that he too died for his faith (i.e. 15 March 1992 Watchtower, p. 30), yet utterly fail to mention that he frequently employed Greek philosophy to talk about Christian ideas, that he explicitly referred to Jesus was dying on a cross (and used Platonic-style allegorical interpretation to find the cross prefigured in the OT), that he accepted the immortality of the soul, and so forth.

So on the one hand, the Society would have to assume that these men were influential "apostates" leading Christianity astray from the faith of the apostles, and at the same time they are lauded as people who defended to the death the "basic true doctrines" of the apostles. Either everyone was an apostate, or no one was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit