Generation Change

by slugga 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slugga
    slugga

I left the org slightly before the change in the "generation that was alive in 1914" thing was announced and wondered, What were peoples in the congregations reactions after this was announced and did it you notice people falling away because of it? Has it had a damaging effect?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Well I was studying at the time of the change and was not going to meetings yet so I don't know what their reactions were but I was upset!

I do know that awhile back on here there was someone on here who all this time didn't even know that anything was changed!

BTW..Did you ever read Crisis of Conscience? Ray predicted exactly what they did!

• observador
    observador

"BTW..Did you ever read Crisis of Conscience? Ray predicted exactly what they did!"

What he predicted was that the generation doctrine would have to go. He was actually amazed at how well the WT pulled that one off.

Observador.

• slugga
    slugga
    BTW..Did you ever read Crisis of Conscience? Ray predicted exactly what they did!

Eh no, i still have probs with "apostate" stuff, still cant go into a church for instance. If you riped the cover off so that I didn't know what it was and gave it to me I'd read it but if I knew it was *THAT* book I couldn't... stupid I know.

• Legolas
    Legolas

LOL...I should have added more but I lent my book to Lucifer (my daughter)...They were looking for a way to keep 1914 but not be limited in a time line so to say.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Nobody batted an Eyelid as far as i remember...i put the Generation change as the number one reason i left the org...took me many Years to completely realise exactly how they had got away with it tho,and what it all meant!

Stunning really,that People..many intelligent people ..blindly follow this crap and accept absolutely anything.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I was there when this change came about and for me it didnt bother me at that time, partly cause I didn't read all the information (magazine's and what not), partly cause I went along with the B.S. that it hadn't changed a thing as the end was still just round the corner, and partly that looking back I dont think I saw the end of the world as a reality. When i look back at that i'm horrified that I associated with it for so long without any real reasons for doing so, apart from i was brought up in it...shame on me

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was in bethel in 93 and realised there was not Holy Spirit directing things. That led me to think Armageddon could be wrong, led me to wondering how would they deal with the whole generation issue. So when the generation thing was changed I was half expecting it, and half devastated as here was proof that the WTS has mistranslated the bible. But I still floundered around in the org for 10 more years.
    In my congregation it was all excitement, new light, everyone trying to explain it properly. I am not aware of anyone that stopped going to meetings over it. Remember that the Watchtower made the new teaching difficult to understand and then kept following up with the idea that the New System is about to come. I spoke to several people that the new teaching meant the end could be another 100 years away, and no one agreed with me, it was the same as ever, the new system is about to happen.
    However i think the stats speak for themselves. There has been virtual zero growth in the developed world for the 10 years since.

• Gill
    Gill

A lot of the people I knew as JWs DID bat an eyelid at the 1914 change.

My husbands, at the time 85 year old grandmother was not at all happy with it and still insisting she was never going to die.

I remember my family discussing it at a barbecue and mulling it over. They came to the conclusion after several glasses of wine, that 'Oh well, we don't serve J. with a date in mind, do we.'

I remember being relieved that the world was not going to end for a while yet.

I don't remember anyone leaving over it.

Slugga - If you've got a problem with 'apostate stuff' what are you doing on here?

Get ye to Amazon and order C of C as soon as poss!!

• joelbear
    joelbear

new light, better understanding, proves that Watchtower is Jehovah's representative, groovy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit