JWs, 7th day Adventist, etc. -- who was first to prohibit tobacco?

by Fatfreek 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

As an old timer former JW, I remember well the tobacco prohibition.

When I came in during the mid 50's it was looked down upon. I'd already started smoking in my early teens and didn't actually quit till I was 20. My motive? Interestingly, it wasn't the JW's negative spin, or the medical community's cautionary messages. My first-born came along and I made up my mind that I didn't want him to see me with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.

Before that, I was a young MS at the time but was still a closet smoker. Another brother happened by my workplace and I knew he spotted me in the act while I was loading a truck. That evening I resigned my position with the utmost guilt. The CO (called congregation servant then) encouraged me to stay on with my promise that I would quit. I didn't want the pressure. I wanted to do it on my own terms -- which I did several months down the road, during a long weekend that followed my son's birth.

Then came the early 70's (I think) when the disfellowshipping penalty for tobacco made its debut. Yes, I was free by that time but I recall the feelings of anger at the WT and empathy for the chain-smoking ones, especially the elderly. Anger at the WT for imposing such a severe penalty. Yeah, kick out the very ones who need emotional help. Yeah, we know God won't allow tobacco on the new earth so let's get a head start -- help HIM out with our own pre-screening process. Yeah, we can legislate human behavior.

My question now, as I reflect on the Tobacco prohibition is, who was first? What religious group took the lead as trying to guide its flock away from tobacco use? I understand Seventh Day Adventists are included. Who else? Any estimated dates on when such warnings took place?

Fats

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS discouraged smoking but did not make it a DFing offense until 1973. Supposedly, people appointed to be congregation servants, pioneers, etc., could not be smokers.

The SDA discourages it too but I don't know if the DF/shun SDAs that continue smoking.

Blondie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Mormons have had a prohibition that goes back to the 1800's, however, it's considered a "weakness" and the person is neither shunned or prohibited from attending or socializing with the congregation. I think now days, for the general public, smoking has become so "pedestrian"....

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

This, from TIME Mar. 3, 1923, archives, is interesting. It shows (by inference) that the Witnesses adopted what some U.S. state governments (not Ohio) had tried many years earlier:

KANSAS: A bill is before the Legislature to make the possession of cigarettes or material for making cigarettes an offence punishable by imprisonment. Kansas already has a law against selling, or giving away cigarettes, but none against smoking them.

OHIO: An anti-cigarette bill was killed by the Legislature.

UTAH: Ernest Bamberger, Republican Senatorial candidate in 1922, and three of his friends were arrested for smoking in a Salt Lake City cafe. Other arrests were also made. Utah has a law prohibiting smoking in public and the sale of cigarettes. The Freeman's League is agitating for the repeal of the law. The Mormon Church is in favor of the anti-tobacco legislation.

Fats

• billyboy
    billyboy

I have to say that any religion that claims to be Christian but allows smoking is certainly not Christian. It is the most disgusting habit & breaks at least 2 fundamental scriptural principles - love of neighbour and sanctity of life. I have walked out of restaurants when people lit up beside me. Thankfully , in my country it will shortly be banned.

To me the prohibition of smoking is one of the most attractive beliefs of JWs - it is fantastic walking around at conventions & no-one is smoking.

Incidentally - I've known many who have left JWs & started smoking as a reaction against what they feel was a "control" mechanism ("nobody tells me what I can or cannot do anymore"). My 30 year old relative (who had never smoked before) did this - he is now a 40 a day man. I know many ex-JWs & apostates post on this board - does this often happen?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Welcome to the board, BillyBoy. It is good to have fresh thinking.

"... smoking is certainly not Christian. It is the most disgusting habit & breaks at least 2 fundamental scriptural principles - love of neighbour and sanctity of life. ..."

If your list of most disgusting starts there, ummmm, where do you list the sexual predator situation, you know -- elders hiding behind the two witness rule -- the whole reason behind the Silent Lamb movement? Like not allowing DNA as being a second witness?

Fats

• billyboy
    billyboy

Smoking is the single most preventable cause of cancer & other diseases, resulting in millions of premature deaths per year.

Sexual abuse is another issue - sorry , I don't buy into the SilentLamb movement - I think they are quite awful and their motives are corrupt - they have as much interest in protecting children as the Animal Rights movement have in protecting animals. I know that most of the posters on this site disagree - tough!

An elder in my congregation was removed after wild & bizarre allegations of child abuse & the Silent Lamb people got involved , looking to make $$$ out of the situation. After 2 years , the complainent (a 14 year old girl) admitted that she had made the whole thing up - after destroying the whole family. This is the side of the issue that you will never hear discussed on anti-JW & apostate websites.

• ackack
    ackack

BillyBoy, so then do you feel its hypocritical of the JW's not to df obese people?

Yes, I don't really like the idea of giving wild accusations too much power. Its odd actually, I knew another elder who was removed because of an accusation that turned out to be false as well (wtg, hypnotherapy). Is DNA evidence not permitted as a "second witness"? I hadn't heard that. Thats particularly disgusting (through not surprising) if its true. After all, "worldly" evidence is given a lower weight

ackack

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

"This is the side of the issue that you will never hear discussed on anti-JW & apostate websites."

Well, now, I guess we're hearing it right now. And, guess what -- nothing exploded, nobody got injured or killed. One thing we have here is freedom of expression -- something some organized religions will not tolerate. And you know exactly who I'm referring to.

I made an earlier comment, "Like not allowing DNA as being a second witness?", that you made no reference to. Is there something about DNA you don't trust as evidence in sexual cases? Or other rape kit evidence?

Fats

• billyboy
    billyboy

Sorry , I was of the view that DNA is allowed as a second witness. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The argument that JWs should DF obese people if they DF smokers doesn't follow - obese people are not voluntarily engaging in a habit which kills other people. In the UK there was a famous trumpeter called Roy Castle - he died from lung cancer despite never having smoked & this was attributed to him playing the trumpet in smoky enviroments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit