im hurt, desperate, confused and considering this religion - advice?

by very_confused 55 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have to agree the AA-style principles and structure might be helpful for the OP, but IMO Emotions Anonymous would be much more appropriate. It is a 12 step program for mental health. There are 326 groups in Canada...click here to locate one near you.... http://www.emotionsanonymous.org

Here are some workbooks that could be a nice adjunct to seeing your counselor: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-5650794-5009639?url=index%3Dblended&field-keywords=depression+workbook

Is there a medical person at your college that could help you with your questions about Effexor, or is there a medical school nearby that has a psychiatry program? A teaching hospital or medical school may be a good resource to get your quesitons answered. Most medications have their own website--Effexor extended release: http://www.effexorxr.com/ Just take it all with a grain of salt. Keep in mind all medications have side effects. Read a bottle of aspirin--one possible side effect is sudden death. Just because it's listed doesn't mean it's common. There is a free patient support program on that website that offers telephone support.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I apologize, when I saw AA I was thinking Al-Anon - for friends and family of alcoholics. You WERE raised as an "adult" child of a dependent mother. You would have a lot in common with children of alcoholics.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I am glad to see you back on the board; I have been worried about you You were dealt an awful hand, having a mother who was a psycho/(sorry, but the word seems to fit)...however, you are blessed because inspite of your upbringing, you are a wise and caring person who knows she needs some help in this world! How great is that. We all need help, in all different ways. We all didn't have a terrible parent like you, but we all need guidance throughout our lives. I am glad you came to this board.

I would not suggest you go to an AA meeting, although I do see the correlation; the AA is a private group, open to those with alcoholic related problems. Is there some group listed in your local newspaper that is appealing? Here in the US there are all kinds of listings in the classified ads for group meetings. I am glad you saw a counselor.

Please keep working on yourself; I think you are doing fine. It takes time, this growing up business.

pm me if you feel so inclined.

Peace,

AuntieJane

• greendawn
    greendawn

VC after you revealed to us your family situation I can understand why you have this problem because you were starved of the things that make us tick, but I am certain that if you develop a healthy social life you will through it overcome the present problems. Your mother who knows what she suffered in her life so as to be so crippled emotionally.

I notice that you do open up emotionally and express your feelings and that is very positive.

• very_confused
    very_confused

Hi all

I really haven't been feeling too great for the past few days and don't really have the energy to say much... but I just want to let you know that I read all of them and that I truly appreciate all of your kind words, words of advice, and insights. So thank you for everything, it really does make me feel better.

I checked out that emotions anonymous website and found a chapter near me. I look forward to attending my first meeting in a few days. Thanks again for everything.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi VC- How are you now? It's been a while and I hope your ok. Please send a post when you get a chance.

Anitar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit