What is your IQ?

by skyman 50 Replies latest jw friends

• PoliticallyNeutered2
    PoliticallyNeutered2

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert. The stuff in this email could be false. If you use it, use it at your own risk. Also, since about 7/05, I've earnestly tried to keep my large-scale internet presence politically/religiously neutral. Stepping on big toes with such new and powerful technology seems highly incautious in my case.

I was tested by a professional when I was about 6 or 7 years old.

However, I think that IQ can change, so I really don't have a good answer for the thread title. If my I.Q. is as high as it supposedly was then, I simply say: Good enough that I don't currently intend to spend 10 hours per week trying to raise it by 10 points this year.

Why do I think that I.Q. can be raised when so many "experts" seem to assert otherwise?

http://www.winwenger.com/
    http://www.winwenger.com/edtech.htm
    http://www.winwenger.com/mind.htm
    "T & L Techniques: Great teaching and learning methods to increase IQ and creativity." (bolding mine)

I practiced some of these forms of meditation for a little while. Subjectively, they seemed to increase some of my perceptive abilities for a while.

You might want to be careful around some of these techniques, though. Image streaming in groups may be effective; but, it reminds me a bit too much of something that may be similar to mass-hypnosis. Just exercise caution, as I'm sure you do. :)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i was tested by mensa a few years back, and missed joining the club by about 2.5% points. i really like gena davis and wanted to meet her. lol. but then i thought, wtf am i doing? even in mensa, with the largest possible threshold of variables accounted for, the chances of me meeting gena davis hover around 1.03751%

but, really though, i think these tests and clubs are kinda dumb, ironically. dumb clubs for 'mart people. in a way, it was cool that i passed their qualification test. but the lady who came to test me did not look like gena davis at all. ... at all.

u/d, i'm leaving my job as a gardener and coming to work for you! i know you need my help man. no one (not even i) has 30 fingers. unless you mean to say that you are what people in certain circles call a "pimp"?

ts

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    dumb clubs for 'mart people.

Same here, tetrapod.sapien. I happened to be stay at a hotel for the District Convention where a MENSA group was convening. I got a chance to talk with them and try to find out the point of MENSA. As nearly as I could ascertain, MENSA is a group setting where smart people get to be smart together.

MENSA doesn't DO anything, they informed me. It provides an environment that makes it more likely for groups of smart people to independently organize around ideas, but those ideas are never supported by MENSA itself. The organization remains completely neutral. One of the conventioners said, "MENSA doesn't even have an opinion about whether water is wet."

So, it is basically another organization where societal misfits can pretend they fit in somewhere. I also decided not to pursue MENSA membership, Gena Davis notwithstanding.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Brooke

• John Doe
    John Doe

My iq is 74, but I try not to brag. ;-)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

IQ tests try to measure 'g', a term denoting general intelligence, which is information processing ability as distinct from knowledge-based.

Try IS the operative word, as it is surprisingly hard to factor out ALL 'knowledge', and this makes cross-cultural comparisons fraught with error.

Although I think a company selling a method of increasing IQ is probably having you on (as is anything online claiming to accurately measure IQ), I feel if you're deprived of simple keys to process information through environment, you will feel smarter when you learn those keys, as the keys themselves are just information handling techniques and simple in themselves. It's the only thing I can account for in terms of the difference between how I think now and how I thought before getting a proper education.

• TopHat
    TopHat
    MENSA doesn't DO anything, they informed me. It provides an environment that makes it more likely for groups of smart people to independently organize around ideas, but those ideas are never supported by MENSA itself. The organization remains completely neutral.

My son joined MENSA right out of high school and yes, he said the same thing...they don't do anything...it is just a place to meet other smart people....he dropped out. LOL...I have three sons and he never became a JW. He was smart after all...hehehe...Only my oldest son is a JW. Now if I could just get him to wake up!

• blondie
    blondie

I have to adjust my IQ, it is not 450, it is 1003. I took the test 10 times and divided by 10; or was my IQ 10.3.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Mensa Mistakenly Makes Moron Member

ARLINGTON, Texas - An embarrassed Mensa chairman announced Monday that an 'unintentional computational deviation' was responsible for a local chapter inducting Clem "Clubby" Clubunkle as a member. "Circumstances behoove us to enunciate our profoundest apologies to Mr. Clubunkle," explained chairman Lonnie Knight. After the announcement, Clubunkle asked, "So, does 'behoove' mean I'm in?"

While most Mensa chapters use the scoring system software provided by Mensa International, the local Arlington chapter uses an in-house system developed in Microsoft Excel. To qualify, a prospective member must test in the top 2% of the population. The error came from a final calculation that rejects those in the 1% - 98% range. "Mr. Clubunkle scored at point-five percent (.5%), the lowest score we have ever seen. Not only did he get none of the questions right, but he misspelled his name, filled out the test in green crayon, and sent his test results to us postage-due," explained Knight. But since .5% was outside of the 1-98 range, the local chapter's spreadsheet initially marked his application as "Accepted". Only after it was sent to the International Mensa Headquarters for verification was the error discovered. "Of course, Mr. Clubunkle's fees will be refunded post-haste," added Knight.

"Well, it ain't the first test I bunked up, that's for awful sure," said a smiling Clubunkle, "And I say, 'Clubby, why don't you jest try 'er again?' And you know, I think I jest might."

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    the local Arlington chapter uses an in-house system developed in Microsoft Excel.

lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit