Nativity Plays scrapped due to JWs

by Clam 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Clam
    Clam

At a nearby school, the children have for many years performed a Nativity Play. I hear now that due to the large number of JW kids attending the school, the Play is now due to be cancelled indefinately. This fits a modern British trend of political correctness where any risk of offence to minorities is identified and acted upon.

Has anyone heard of this happening near them? I personally feel that such action by the school will result in negative publicity for the Dubs. The pagans and wordly people around here are horrified.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I hear now that due to the large number of JW kids attending the school,

How large?

Ian

• Ellie
    Ellie

I have a feeling that it might happen next year (well this year) in the school my daughter will be attending, in the nursery class this year there are only 11 kids and this is apparentely a big class for the school, next year there will be 4 witness kids that I know of in the nursery class with my daughter, that should be fun for me.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ellie,

When I lived on Anglesey the primary schools made a big thing about Christmas. I can't see them kow-towing to JWs, especially if you drum up support against any nativity bans attempted by them. Remember, there's plenty of bad news against JWs out there. Placed in the hands of the other parents and school teachers I shouldn't think you'd have much trouble.

Ian

• daystar
    daystar

This kind of crap is happening more and more in the Western world.

Political correctness, pandering to the loud minority groups (and I am not really talking about racial minorities here), etc. makes me sick.

I don't celebrate Channukah, but why the hell would I care to have any public Channukah events stopped?

What a bunch of pussies. "Oh, I'm so offended!" Grow some damned spines.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That's what happens when you mix church and state. If anyone wants their kids to do a religious play, then hold the play at church or a private function.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I'm strongly against religious intolerance, and this is what this is. It is intolerance towards mainstream Christian traditions. JWs don't have to participate do they? Stopping others from having Christmas is NOT right.

I know! Lets say the "memorial" offends us....and throw in door to door knocking aswell. They'd be screaming intolerance in seconds.

I'm SO SICK of the UK attitudes at the moment about "you can't wear a cross or religious symbol at school or work" - my point is that if you take away the choice of wearing things which are meaningful (this may even include a tattoo or arm band...etc.) then we all wear all the same clothes and have the same haircut and do everything the same...sound familiar....cult rule - but this time by the government who won't allow freedom of expression.

The only objection I have to headdresses and other religious garb is the security issue. There are situations where this would pose a threat to not be able to see an individual's face.

Sirona

• blondie
    blondie

My question, did the JWs request that they end the play or did the school administration make that decision themselves. My experience is that schools tend to guess what JWs want rather than asking them directly. I had a teacher start to cancel a holiday party in one of my HS classes without talking to me first. I said that I didn't mind going to the library to study. Party back on. I would have hated someone to assume that the party was canceled because I asked for it to be canceled.

Blondie

• Rig Boy
    Rig Boy

Brought to you by the ADL (Anti-Defamation League) of the Illuminati.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It's sad that society seems to have decided that the right of minorities not to be offended outweighs the rights of free expression. Of course, it's only minorities who are protected - nobody seems to give a hoot if the majority is offended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit